Grip EQ Bag

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Grip EQ Bag

Postby Fritz » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:39 pm

So I think I'm finally ready to get a new bag and I'm highly contemplating the Grip EQ Bag.
What's the verdict, how has it held up over the past couple years for those who have it?
Worth the 200$+ to buy it?
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Re: Grip EQ Bag

Postby iacas » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:00 am

Fritz wrote:So I think I'm finally ready to get a new bag and I'm highly contemplating the Grip EQ Bag.
What's the verdict, how has it held up over the past couple years for those who have it?
Worth the 200$+ to buy it?

I like the Grip, but I'd seriously consider a Physical Flight Challenger Pak first (http://www.physicalflightdg.com) first for a few reasons: getting discs out of the edges is easier with a non-rounded corner, the bag sits taller so you can more easily reach your putters or pick up the bag without bending over, the bag holds a disc or two more (not counting the top and added side storage), and I like the storage options a bit more. You can also get it in colors you like, and the bags are all made in the U.S. and have a lifetime warranty (as does the Grip). The customer service is better.

They feel great too.

Note that these are SMALL differences, but they add up.

The downside is no rainfly (they recommend you put an umbrella in, which works okay - I recommend a taller umbrella for easier use) and the cup holders aren't insulated.

You can't go wrong with either. I have a ProDiscus too and it eliminates some of the small downsides of the Grip but adds its own list (the putter pocket doesn't stand up, the top pouch doesn't velcro back, the rounded corners are still there, etc. Still a pretty great bag.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby Fritz » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:37 am

Thanks for the feedback. How does it compare in weight. There are two reasons I'm getting rid of the Revo Carolina. 1. weight, it's just so heavy after a long day on tough terrain courses the back fatigue is getting to the point where it affects my second and third rounds. 2. I'm tired of bending over to pick up the bag. However I don't want some massive monstrosity on my back either. I've seen players with the Grip bag and it appears to be the perfect size.

Not sure I like the non-insulated cup holders. I play in the desert and nothing sucks more than warm water while you are playing.
Rain-fly isn't a deal breaker though, it hardly ever rains where I play in tournaments.

I will take a look at those bags though.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby turso » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:55 am

With backpack the weight will still be there, but you don't have to bend down quite as low with them as the handle is higher up. Can't go wrong with either grip nor prodiscus.

Prodiscus is larger, but other than that it's essentially as grip. If you live in warm climate, you probably won't need the extra space for clothes provided by the prodiscus bag, so from those two choices I'd go with the grip in your situation. Can't comment on the third option as I've never handled nor seen one.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby iacas » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:08 pm

Fritz wrote:Thanks for the feedback. How does it compare in weight.

It's lighter than the Grip, even with the aluminum frame installed.

Fritz wrote:There are two reasons I'm getting rid of the Revo Carolina. 1. weight, it's just so heavy after a long day on tough terrain courses the back fatigue is getting to the point where it affects my second and third rounds. 2. I'm tired of bending over to pick up the bag. However I don't want some massive monstrosity on my back either. I've seen players with the Grip bag and it appears to be the perfect size.

I think it makes up fro the height by being slightly thinner in profile, and it's super comfortable on your back. I posted some pictures elsewhere in another thread and I don't play in the heat (and I am in pretty decent shape), so I don't want to say too much. I like all of my bags for different reasons.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby ChainBomber » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:16 pm

What about this?
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/sh ... rsion+grip

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
ChainBomber
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzz / Sidewinder

Postby BLURR » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:22 am

ChainBomber wrote:What about this?
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/sh ... rsion+grip

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I made one of these at the beginning of the season this year. It is holding up really well. I am somewhat surprised and how good it works. And...I bought it for $49 with free shipping. And I put about $5 worth of pvc pipe into a u-frame for my disc's and it works great. A buddy of mine, who is a bit rougher on bags, built one at the same time and he has had very little issue with his as well. It is a little worse for wear than mine, but still in decent shape. I highly recommend this bag setup to anybody considering shelling out over $200 for a backpack bag for the upcoming season.

If anybody would like to see what mine looks like after a season of wear and tear, just let me know and I can post pictures up.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby dgdave » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:29 am

I love my grip. I had one a couple years ago, but sold it because I wanted more disc storage. Once I can to my senses about not needing 26-40 discs, I got another grip and couldn't be happier.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Timko » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:42 am

I've had my grip since July of 2011 and its been nothing but great for me. It holds the perfect amount of stuff, and fits me and my shorter frame.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Coldpunk » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:24 am

I trashed that first one they made, and my replacement(the new and improved version currently available) has been going strong since. Easiest warranty replacement ever, two emails with pics of damage and bam! New bag.

Five things I love most about my Grip bag:

Small enough to keep me from bringing 30 discs every round
Large enough for an appropriate amount of gear (keeping in mind it's a round of disc golf not an expedition)
Weight distribution, especially when loaded down with full drink holders and water bladder.
Rain fly
Quiver pocket

The quiver pocket thing really caught me by surprise. It really is super convenient. To be able to put my ion(pretty standard size) and my go to comet(larger diameter) both at arms length to grab and go without having to pick up the bag off the ground or bend down to get them is fantastic. It may sound strange but those two account for probably half my throws during a round and they're right there at my fingertips. Also for casual rounds its nice to put your bag on after a sweet upshot you just threw to drop in range and wear it whilst everyone else holes out, not have to take off your bag to put your putter or mid back in the quiver after your tap in.
Coldpunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby victorb » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:47 am

I love my GripEQ except on days when I have to shed layers. I cannot get anything bigger than my long sleeve tshirts to fit in the side. If I have a hoodie to take off, I cannot fit it in there. Keep in mind, I wear medium hoodies and small tshirts. And forget about storing rain gear in there. I'm considering getting a prodiscus bag just for extra potential storage space.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby dgdave » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:59 am

Use the umbrella strap on the side of the pocket to holdthe hoodie
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby steezo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:06 pm

I use the top quiver pocket to stuff a hoodie in. It might hang out a bit but it works.
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby steezo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:06 pm

Paul's new Sig. Series bag.

The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain