different forehand grip for fairway drivers?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

different forehand grip for fairway drivers?

Postby MulishaNick » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:46 am

So, I'm a LHFH player and my average drive is about 350 on my forehand using the power grip shown in Avery's Deep In The Game videos. My problem is that, while that grip works wonders on my distance drivers, I can't use it on a fairway driver (just learning how to throw them). I've heard people say they forehand their Teebird's and Eagles but I turn them over if I try a FH shot. Any suggestions?
MulishaNick
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ape

Re: different forehand grip for fairway drivers?

Postby keltik » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:18 am

look for Disc Golf Monthly episode 95 on youtube. It features 2012 Womens' World Champ Sarah Hokom. She throws almost exclusively FH. She describes different grips for FH and shows her own, which I think is different from Avery's. Watch her segment and then go from there with the grip she specifies. Also look for videos with Jeremy Koling. He is also an extremely adept FH thrower. He has an instructional video out there as well.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: different forehand grip for fairway drivers?

Postby JR » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:07 am

Some FW drivers have a tallish profile with a sharp bottom that can easily scrape along the fingers when the disc is pivoting. Then grip strength and squeezing direction changes for every finger need to be explored. Also using less arm speed and abruptly and forcefully trying to stop the wrist hand and index finger pointed straight at the target might help too. Orientation wise a more up and down than horizontal finger placement might help to achieve a cleaner grip.

The shorter the fingers and the smaller the hand is the harder it is to find a grip that releases the disc cleanly. If grip changes and wrist stopping won't help maybe round bottomed FWs might help. An example is the slightly understable Latitude 64 River.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique