New bag recommendation?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Re: New bag recommendation?

Postby ChainBomber » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:57 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:
ChainBomber wrote:I have a Crunch and just built a DiY backpack. It is an anglers backpack but works great. Here is a link go the other forum


http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/sh ... rip&page=7

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD


There is nothing magical about a bag "designed" for disc golf. I was in a resale shop recently and saw a Speedo backpack-style bag which reminded me of a Grip bag and seemed in like new condition. I bought it for a glow bag and paid $5. It may not be quite as nice as a Grip but it was $195 less.


I love my backpack. I wanted a grip bad, but with a wife a kids, 200+ is a little outrageous. The speedo bag is one my friend is about to build he likes the looks better than the one I have. I ordered some patches for my bag and will make it my own. And for 1/4 the price. Can't go wrong!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
ChainBomber
Noob
User avatar
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:05 pm
Location: Triangle, NC
Favorite Disc: Buzz / Sidewinder

Re: New bag recommendation?

Postby PMantle » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:51 am

They shipped the wrong bag. Now having second thoughts on the Crunch anyway. DGA Shield vs. Innova Deluxe vs. PDGA Deluxe vs. Academy H20 backpack with the DIY treatment? I can get the Academy bag today.

Help?
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:11 am
Location: Alexandria, La.
Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: New bag recommendation?

Postby ChainBomber » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:35 pm

I would do the DIY. Now i don't know what the backpack looks like, but i do love my cabela's backpack. Now the Innova Deluxe is a nice bag, but for the price you can have the same amount of discs and in a backpack, and still save money (would have to buy the backpack straps to make it less bulky) and they are anywhere from 25-60 more bucks. Just my 2 cents!
ChainBomber
Noob
User avatar
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:05 pm
Location: Triangle, NC
Favorite Disc: Buzz / Sidewinder

Re: New bag recommendation?

Postby PMantle » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:54 pm

ChainBomber wrote:I would do the DIY. Now i don't know what the backpack looks like, but i do love my cabela's backpack. Now the Innova Deluxe is a nice bag, but for the price you can have the same amount of discs and in a backpack, and still save money (would have to buy the backpack straps to make it less bulky) and they are anywhere from 25-60 more bucks. Just my 2 cents!

I am super new to this, and have only used really small bags so far. Here is my concern. I like the idea of looking down and seeing the line of discs as I walk up to a shot. I just don't know how I will like the fact that my discs are now at the bottom of a bag and out of sight. Can you address that for me?

Here's the Academy one(credit to KYdischippy so that Steve a doesn't call me out)

Image
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:11 am
Location: Alexandria, La.
Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: New bag recommendation?

Postby ChainBomber » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:00 pm

PMantle wrote:
ChainBomber wrote:I would do the DIY. Now i don't know what the backpack looks like, but i do love my cabela's backpack. Now the Innova Deluxe is a nice bag, but for the price you can have the same amount of discs and in a backpack, and still save money (would have to buy the backpack straps to make it less bulky) and they are anywhere from 25-60 more bucks. Just my 2 cents!

I am super new to this, and have only used really small bags so far. Here is my concern. I like the idea of looking down and seeing the line of discs as I walk up to a shot. I just don't know how I will like the fact that my discs are now at the bottom of a bag and out of sight. Can you address that for me?

Here's the Academy one(credit to KYdischippy so that Steve a doesn't call me out)

Image


I don't feel it an issue. Alot of places i play have some type of bench or tree stump or something that i can set my bag on for the drive. After that i have all my discs organized and in a certain order. So i just look at the bad and know what disc is what by where it is in the bag. It shouldn't be too much of an issue, and after a few rounds you should be used to the new bag and all set. Go with the backpack, for the price and how long i have heard some of them last, you can't go wrong!
ChainBomber
Noob
User avatar
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:05 pm
Location: Triangle, NC
Favorite Disc: Buzz / Sidewinder

Re: New bag recommendation?

Postby PMantle » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:05 pm

I've obsessed over building the PVC cage for over a week now. I fear that if I don't go backpack, I'll never stop thinking about it. I just have to decide what version of the cage to build. :lol:
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:11 am
Location: Alexandria, La.
Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: New bag recommendation?

Postby ChainBomber » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:52 pm

PMantle wrote:I've obsessed over building the PVC cage for over a week now. I fear that if I don't go backpack, I'll never stop thinking about it. I just have to decide what version of the cage to build. :lol:


Pull the trigger and buy one of the the DIY backpacks. I love my Cabela's bag and dont see myself needing to upgrade for a long while.

PS building the frame was by far the best part to.
ChainBomber
Noob
User avatar
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:05 pm
Location: Triangle, NC
Favorite Disc: Buzz / Sidewinder

Re: New bag recommendation?

Postby PMantle » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:57 pm

ChainBomber wrote:
PMantle wrote:I've obsessed over building the PVC cage for over a week now. I fear that if I don't go backpack, I'll never stop thinking about it. I just have to decide what version of the cage to build. :lol:


Pull the trigger and buy one of the the DIY backpacks. I love my Cabela's bag and dont see myself needing to upgrade for a long while.

PS building the frame was by far the best part to.

Looks like Academy, then Lowe's after work. :mrgreen:
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:11 am
Location: Alexandria, La.
Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: New bag recommendation?

Postby PMantle » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:15 pm

Wow, building the frame was tough. So many re-cuts. I'm done, but man it's snug. I guess snug is better than loose? There will be no need for bottom or top stiffeners. I did not use front top of bottom bars, so the discs will not touc PVC up front. If some sagging occurs, I guess I can add a plate of some sort later. The FlexSeal is drying now. May go add another coat real quick.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:11 am
Location: Alexandria, La.
Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: New bag recommendation?

Postby ChainBomber » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:34 pm

Put some pics up when you get the bag set.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
ChainBomber
Noob
User avatar
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:05 pm
Location: Triangle, NC
Favorite Disc: Buzz / Sidewinder

Re: New bag recommendation?

Postby PMantle » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:17 am

ChainBomber wrote:Put some pics up when you get the bag set.


Well, I would, but they would look exactly like the OP's pics. Same bag, same frame etc.

I did add internal bungies as suggested by another poster. Those really tiny 10" ones. Looped one end around the frame in the back then run between frame and shell to hook on the webbing of the flap. Works fine so far.

Added a bungie to the top handle to give me hooks to hang the bag on tree limbs.


I must say, my concerns about how this operates in real life were real. Turns out I don't like using the bag as much as I liked the idea of the bag. If I could flip it now, I would consider it to get a traditional bag. At least I think I would. I start thinking of my next shot as I'm walking up to my disc. I am used to looking down and flipping between discs as I see the line in my head. With this bag, you can't do that. You have to lay it down, and to see all, it has to be on it's back instead of the water proof bottom.

I'm going to try to play 18 at lunch to give it a better test.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:11 am
Location: Alexandria, La.
Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: New bag recommendation?

Postby Mark Ellis » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:50 am

PMantle wrote:
ChainBomber wrote:Put some pics up when you get the bag set.


Well, I would, but they would look exactly like the OP's pics. Same bag, same frame etc.

I did add internal bungies as suggested by another poster. Those really tiny 10" ones. Looped one end around the frame in the back then run between frame and shell to hook on the webbing of the flap. Works fine so far.

Added a bungie to the top handle to give me hooks to hang the bag on tree limbs.


I must say, my concerns about how this operates in real life were real. Turns out I don't like using the bag as much as I liked the idea of the bag. If I could flip it now, I would consider it to get a traditional bag. At least I think I would. I start thinking of my next shot as I'm walking up to my disc. I am used to looking down and flipping between discs as I see the line in my head. With this bag, you can't do that. You have to lay it down, and to see all, it has to be on it's back instead of the water proof bottom.

I'm going to try to play 18 at lunch to give it a better test.


Your new bag may be more comfortable to use with a camp stool. IMO the 3 legged stools suck compared to the 4 legged ones. The 4 legged stools create a solid base and are much more resistant to falling over. You can lay your bag on its back to see the discs and also keep the bag out of the dirt, mud, snow etc.. You also do not need to bend over as far for discs or to pick the bag up.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental
User avatar
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:32 pm
Location: Brighton, Michigan
Favorite Disc: Rattler

Re: New bag recommendation?

Postby PMantle » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:56 am

You're probably right, but that's one more thing to carry. I don't need a stool otherwise. Most of the time, we can't even see another player. Disc golf is new to this area, and I've never had to wait. I don't think any of our 3 courses are over 1 year old yet.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:11 am
Location: Alexandria, La.
Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: New bag recommendation?

Postby keltik » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:01 am

savor the solitude while it lasts.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 3380
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: High Point NC
Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: New bag recommendation?

Postby Mark Ellis » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:31 pm

PMantle wrote:You're probably right, but that's one more thing to carry. I don't need a stool otherwise. Most of the time, we can't even see another player. Disc golf is new to this area, and I've never had to wait. I don't think any of our 3 courses are over 1 year old yet.


I have used a stool for years. I seldom sit on it except for backups in tournaments.

The stool is a perch for the bag. Once you put the bag on your back the stool can be slipped through one backstrap while you walk and its out of your way.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental
User avatar
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:32 pm
Location: Brighton, Michigan
Favorite Disc: Rattler

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest