Flash thoughts?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Flash thoughts?

Postby pask2155 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Did some searching on the discraft flash and did t really find a ton... So what do you guys think about it? Will it be a good bomber disc? And what's the difference between that and the wildcat? They seem to be rated the same stability and in the same category. So what would you compare them too? The good the bad and the ugly...
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Re: Flash thoughts?

Postby dgdave » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:35 pm

Very orc-ish. Long S curvey flight. Very inconsistent
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby pask2155 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:39 pm

If hyzer flipped would it be a straight flyer? And how long is long to you? 400+ average? And what's inconsistent about it?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby allsport1313 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:55 pm

I wouldn't really call it a long bomber. Used to throw a Flash but it flied too much like my worn in Surge which I like more, so I stopped throwing it.
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby dgdave » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:15 pm

When I was throwing these, I was really playing well and was getting 450 and touched 500 a few times on distance lines.You can get straight lines too. The incinconsistencies were from really flat, glideless and overstable, to really domey ones with noses that dipped real low and we're really flippy. I really only threw esp but I know Zs had the same issues. That all said, I haven't thrown one in 3-4 years so that may have changed
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby keltik » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:39 pm

I imagine you could easily get one in trade on here or buy one off of someone for cheap. I don't have any but I would sell you one cheap just to make the wife think I'm thinning the disc herd (but she knows better.)
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby BLURR » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:50 pm

The flash still suffers from inconsistency. But with recent runs, the flat tops were quite a bit less stable than the one's that have a little bit of dome to them. If you want to find a solid flash, track down a team stamp red z-flash. I've owned quite a few of these over the years and they all fly the same each and every time.

If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:17 am

Poppy top ESPs are very much more HSS and a hair more LSS than most and are good headwind straight with fairly dependable finish discs and in calm conditions not bombers released flat without flip. S-curved they pick up a lot of distance and start to challenge speed 11/12 discs in distance. Not 13.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mark Ellis » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:05 am

Until the Nuke came out the Flash was my primary driver. I still carry one to several in the bag.

The Flash is one of the most under respected discs in the market. The complaint is that it is too inconsistent between runs. Not if you know what to look for, it is not. I throw the Z flat tops. These are money. They have been money, every run for the past 5 years at least. I know because I have tried them all. To be sponsored and to live close to the factory means I can continually test my favorite discs.

Flashes give control and distance COMBINED better than anything else I have thrown. Nukes go farther. Crushes are more controllable (because they are more overstable but otherwise basically the same disc). When I face a long, tight tunnel and I need to shape a precise line I throw a Flash.

This last summer in North Carolina at the World Championships many competitors complained about the ever present long tight tunnels. I love these holes. We have stacks of these holes in Michigan, too. When you can find a disc which you can throw smooth and flat and it goes straight, dead nuts straight, it is a lovely thing.

Many discs like to perform when they are really torqued on. Some discs work better when they are smoothed. The Flash is a smooth disc. The Flash is a great disc.

Flashes have one flaw. They do not fight wind well. At least with my form they do not. I throw forehand and therefore with more flutter than most backhanders have. The Flash handles the flutter no problem but not into a headwind. For headwind I dial up to a Crush, the Flash's big brother. Of course no smooth or understable disc fights wind unless you throw it PERFECT. Perfect is a high standard and not worth the risk of being almost perfect and still punished for it.

There are 3 disc which are similar and overlap. The Z Flash, the Z Surge SS and the Proline Rogue are all from the same family. If you made a pile of these discs and tried them all (and had the skill and precision to throw them consistently) and only threw them flat and smooth and straight, most players within the normal bounds of power would find them very useful if not damn wonderful. The very under and over powered players are each unique to themselves and often need specialty discs.

Still some top end players with great power can also smooth a disc. I have a buddy with 500' power (backhand) and he loves Flashes. He says when throwing in a field his farthest throws are Nukes and Flashes. In my hands a Nuke blasts past a Flash but since a Nuke is wide rimmed and a Flash is not, the Nuke is much touchier.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby PMantle » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:24 am

Mark Ellis wrote:There are 3 disc which are similar and overlap. The Z Flash, the Z Surge SS and the Proline Rogue are all from the same family. If you made a pile of these discs and tried them all (and had the skill and precision to throw them consistently) and only threw them flat and smooth and straight, most players within the normal bounds of power would find them very useful if not damn wonderful. The very under and over powered players are each unique to themselves and often need specialty discs.

I had a Flash, Surge SS and X Avenger in my hands the other day and ended up putting all three back. How does one decide, especially between the Flash and SS? I am assuming the X Avenger has more high speed turn given the slightly different rating, no?
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Mark Ellis » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:35 pm

PMantle wrote:
Mark Ellis wrote:There are 3 disc which are similar and overlap. The Z Flash, the Z Surge SS and the Proline Rogue are all from the same family. If you made a pile of these discs and tried them all (and had the skill and precision to throw them consistently) and only threw them flat and smooth and straight, most players within the normal bounds of power would find them very useful if not damn wonderful. The very under and over powered players are each unique to themselves and often need specialty discs.

I had a Flash, Surge SS and X Avenger in my hands the other day and ended up putting all three back. How does one decide, especially between the Flash and SS? I am assuming the X Avenger has more high speed turn given the slightly different rating, no?

If you can, throw them all and acquire the one(s) which works best for you. My opinion is posted above.

Otherwise use your best judgment. A disc which feels good in the hand is worth trying.

There are many fascinating questions in life. Should you date the blond, the brunette or the redhead? Should you stay or should you go? Do you fold or do you bluff? Do you run it or lay up? Soup or salad? Do you have limited options or can you choose "all of the above"?
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby JR » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:04 am

If you need safety margin against flipping the disc by mistake, more power handling and distance the answer is the Surge SS. The Flash and the X Avenger s-curve but the Flash goes farther. The answer depends on many factors like the holes you play, the wind (Surge SS for the win in windy conditions) your power (Surge wants the most power the Avenger the least) etc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Equipment