Disc Golf Prodigy

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Prodigy

Postby allsport1313 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:23 pm

They're called Prodigy Disc (yes, singular)
They don't have a website
They don't have a single disc in production

Seems legit
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby keltik » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:36 pm

Maybe we're getting trolled on an epic level.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JHern » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:50 pm

I spoke with Phil on the phone a few months ago, on another topic. But in general, I like him, and I hope he is successful. Still, as everyone notes, there is a steep hill to climb.

The most important thing is that a growth in the number of manufacturers can only be stable so long as the sport grows as fast or faster from the grass roots level. Unless they grow the sport, then they are all simply crowding the market and going after a smaller and small piece of the pie.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby chainsmoker » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:24 am

From the Flyboy Aviation facebook page:

I'm honored to finally be able to announce Flyboy Aviation's affiliation with the new and exciting Disc Golf company, Prodigy Disc. The new company is owned and operated by passionate disc golfers dedicated to the future of our sport...some of the finest individuals I've ever know.

Check out our Facebook page, and Phil Arthur's Youtube vid introducing ProdigyDisc.

Happy New Year to all my Flyboy and Prodigy friends...It's going to be an exciting year!
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JHern » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:45 pm

I've been talking with some of the team, one of the interesting things is that the ladies are being treated on equal ground with the guys...very rare in any sporting venture.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby inthedrift » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:03 pm

JHern wrote:I've been talking with some of the team, one of the interesting things is that the ladies are being treated on equal ground with the guys...very rare in any sporting venture.

Awesome. They should be.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby iacas » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:23 pm

inthedrift wrote:Awesome. They should be.

I'm just asking: why?
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby chainsmoker » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:50 pm

I'm just speculating but women have greater growth potential as disc consumers. I'm sure it's different in other parts of the country but I don't run into a bunch of ladies out on the course.
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

Postby 7ontheline » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:06 pm

I like some of those guys, hope they do well.

Hopefully our local prodigy will have a hook up on plastic
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby keltik » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:09 pm

yes the potential is there for the ladies. I don't think the old boys in the pdga have figured out how to get them involved. Hell I can't figure out how to get my wife to play more than once a year. not necessarily a bad thing.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby iacas » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:11 pm

chainsmoker wrote:I'm just speculating but women have greater growth potential as disc consumers. I'm sure it's different in other parts of the country but I don't run into a bunch of ladies out on the course.

That's the thing - people don't usually pay for "potential" (NFL first round draft picks excluded :D) - they usually pay for results. The women don't have near the visibility or fame (as limited as it is for the guys, it's even less for the women).

Good for them... I'm just saying maybe it doesn't make a ton of sense. Anyway, it's all speculation in the end. The $10k may or may not be accurate, but I'm leaning towards "not accurate." Maybe they got $10k in stock options... and Phil and the others have $500k each. :)
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby jsun3thousand » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:15 pm

a company has to be worth something before they can issue stock.
Scooot_er wrote:And disc golfers aren't always the smartest bunch.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc

Favorite Disc: #63

Postby allsport1313 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:42 pm

Maybe its just me, but I wish they would tone down their delusions of grandeur and try to keep things in perspective. No reason for them to call themselves revolutionary when their first discs were just PDGA approved yesterday, and aren't even in production. Their Facebook page is overflowing with peoples' comments along the lines of, "oMgsh take my money now i wuld do ne thing 4 a prodigy disc". What have they done to warrant genuine excitement other than pay the top golfers to join their team?
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby Varsi » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:34 am

Will be interesting to hear how their first 4 discs work. Companies usually don't start with 4 warp speeders...
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Postby JR » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:40 am

JHern mentioned something about growing the sport instead of slicing the pie into ever smaller bites. The sport is growing even without the contributions of the disc golf companies but their involvement pay many of the top events that will attract some people that would not otherwise come into the sport. Every bit of help counts. Paying the same for the ladies for the first time ever might help this generation of female disc golfers make a living as pros unlike earlier generations. That in itself is a boon for future female players. Not everyone can make a living in this sport in the future but the fact that even some can is great and probably cannot hurt.

Think of Naterie maybe they can lead a normal life if Val earned as much as Nate does playing. Instead of possibly both going into business in another field. The same goes for many of the current elite female players that earn a little money. But how much of it goes to expenses now? If they started to make a profit playing at top level their career might be longer and thus more inspirational to other women. That might take the plunge and try to make a living by playing. More women, more interest from the sponsors thus more money thus win for everyone. Somebody had to start to grow the women's side of disc golf and my hat is off to DGP for taking the first step toward equality in disc golf.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion