Only 2 Driver Molds - Pair an OLF with ?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Only 2 Driver Molds - Pair an OLF with ?

Postby riltim » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:04 am

Yes this is to replace my teebirds as well. Right now I carry 2 SOLFs and 1 MOLF, 1 champ and 2 DX teebirds and 2 opto rivers. I know all of these overlap quite a bit and I want to simplify it further. Id love to keep my DX teebirds but I'm finding its hard to find replacements that aren't junk plastic.

I'll probably pair the OLFs with the rivers for now and see how it works out. I'll probably order a jls in the not so distant future to test as a river replacement.
SOLF | Q/JLS | Buzzz | Comet | Wizard
riltim
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:10 am

There are two good things in that approach. You have the discs and testing like that doesn't cost anything. Once you have done that test you'll see if the relatively small speed and distance difference between the River and the OLF is a problem. With long to tweener mids it might not be especially if you are not faced with tunnels. Where Leos dominate.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:15 am

I throw OLFs on tight tunnel shots all the time. They are hyzer flippers
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby JR » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:56 am

MOLFs are ok for 90 % of the flight and the fade is the problem even for a higher powered thrower than the OP. Or if you don't agree then you are not getting all the potential out of Leopards most likely.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:59 pm

I have some SOLFs that have zero fade at the end.
Frank Delicious

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:06 pm

I love JLSs for everything from hyzer to anny. Leopards might be easier to pick up locally... hopefully at used prices. A lot of folks around Memphis like sidewinders for go far workability through the trees if you need more distance.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby JR » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:17 am

Frank Delicious wrote:I have some SOLFs that have zero fade at the end.

How low how far new or broken in? The only way i can throw my 1.1 without fade is to throw hard and so low that the gravity pulls the disc to the ground before the fade begins. Meaning a low apex head height or so. Which describes just about any driver that is more LSS than Leos, Sidewinders, Rivers and i might forget some. Even those fade for me thrown higher. Of course i can't get an optimal pivot of the disc so i like spin thus gyroscopics. Ans speed. YMMV.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:12 am

I've got a range of 1.1 SOLFs but I just put a pretty new one in the bag and I can get it out to about 370ish with no fade when thrown hard and pretty flat. I can range my beat ones from about 330' and out to have no fade. If I want an SOLF to fade I'll throw my 1.2s
Frank Delicious

Postby discmonkey42 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:41 am

Wow. I've thrown the OLF since it came out. I've got a ton of them, all plastics, weights, and levels of wear. Every single one of them fades, even those beat to turnover discs.

Is there something you are doing in your technique that promotes the lack of fade? I'm thinking maybe I'm not throwing as nose down as I think I am, but not sure. The idea of being able to hyzer flip an OLF for tunnel shots and not worry about fade is a game changer for me. I love that disc and throw that mold any chance I get.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby JR » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:02 pm

You might have world class spin on the disc Franky.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby riltim » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:56 pm

I played a round yesterday and today using the river's and I wasn't a big fan. It seemed like I was getting a lot of slipping with the slanted rim.

I was digging through my disc pile and found an ESP XL and a Z Stalker, would either of those be a good river replacement to compliment the OLF? I'm getting different stability info from all the flight charts out there. I'd appreciate any feedback/tips I can get since work, a 6 month old kid, and it being dark at 5pm has me down to playing 1 day a week with zero time for field work.
SOLF | Q/JLS | Buzzz | Comet | Wizard
riltim
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:28 pm

This is pretty weird to hear about other people's OLF experiences because I throw OLFs because they are such great hyzer flippers and that is my main throw with them. I throw them on tunnel shots at my home course all the time.
Frank Delicious

Postby PMantle » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:05 pm

riltim wrote: Z Stalker
Really overstable for my little arm. Love it though. I use like a long mid or fairway. Longer into the wind approaches, and hard dogleg lefts though trees. It's also my get out of trouble forehand disc.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby vto » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:51 pm

I can see using a worn SOLF for a tunnel shot. I have one 1.2 that has worn into really sweet straight disc. A little bit of hyzer at release, and it flips just slightly over, and then barely comes back. Very little sideways movement throughout the whole flight. I have to say though, that these new poppy top 1.3s are very overstable to begin with, and I can see it taking pretty long time to wear these ones straight.

For what it's worth, I pair my QOLFs and SOLFs with QOLSs and MOLS, which are natural complements, but I can see them not being understable enough and maybe a bit too fast for someone throwing barely over 300'. Maybe a lighter MOLS to begin with, and it should wear in to turn more over time. Could be worth a shot. If I'd play with only 2 driver molds, I'd play with OLF and OLS in different plastics.
Quasar, Nuke, Predator, Orion LF, Orion LS, Roc, Comet, Sinus AP, Pure
vto
Noob

Favorite Disc: Orion LF

Postby PMantle » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Marshall St.'s chart has the LF just right of Predator and just left of Tracker. That scares me.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment