Help build my Japan bag!

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Help build my Japan bag!

Postby JHern » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:38 pm

OK, so the short story is my wife and I accepted 10 year positions in Tokyo, Japan. It is an amazing career opportunity, literally dream jobs. We're going near the end of summer this year.

So, we need light disc bags. I've bought some cherry plastic before in lighter weights that was simply superb, such as a 160g 11X KC Pro Gazelle pearly for my wife, and I'm interested in heading in this direction but at even lighter weights (I believe 150 is the rule in Japan). I think we can get some good drivers and fairway drivers. So I'd be interested in hearing any feedback from anyone who has tried various molds in 150 class, such as...

-Good putters? Does MVP make 150?
-Good mids? How are Rocs, Buzzzes, Wasps, Squalls, etc. in 150 (if available)?
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: Help build my Japan bag!

Postby Monocacy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:11 pm

Firstly, congrats on the dream jobs. MVP does not make 150s, unfortunately.

150 Rocs need to be thrown very cleanly. I think Wizards are available at 150. I had one for a while, but found it very difficult to range. Haven't thrown other 150 mids or putters. You may find that Innova offers the widest variety of light discs in different plastics.

Is it safe to assume that you can get Japan-legal discs in Tokyo, or are you trying to bring discs with you?

I am compelled to sing the praises of 150 Teebirds. Great discs, and available in every plastic except Pro. Leopard or Diamond complements Teebirds nicely, as does a 150 Champ Banshee.

Good luck!

Edit: You may want to wade through the 150 Lovers thread:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12061
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JHern » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:37 am

Monocacy wrote:Firstly, congrats on the dream jobs.

Thanks!

Monocacy wrote:150 Rocs need to be thrown very cleanly. I think Wizards are available at 150. I had one for a while, but found it very difficult to range...sing the praises of 150 Teebird...Leopard or Diamond...150 Champ Banshee...

I'm familiar with a lot of 150 drivers and know there are a lot of good ones...it's the mids and putters that I'm most concerned about, since they are at the heart of my game.

Monocacy wrote:Is it safe to assume that you can get Japan-legal discs in Tokyo, or are you trying to bring discs with you?

I'm interested in getting anything good here that might be more difficult to find in Japan.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby JR » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:27 am

Congrats on the job and hope you live to the west of Tokyo thanks to Fukushima.

Three discs have worked really well in 150 for me. The best is the PD then the Star Teebird and not far behind at all Wizard. I have not been impressed with any 150 mids that i've tried but if you can get a notch more overstable 150 mids than you normally use at full weight you should be fine. If they make 150 Wasps it might be good. Sentinel too but not as i think. I have thrown a 150 Sent and it fades as hard as a max weight one so it is not great overall. I predict a light Wasp to be straighter. If there are any. I haven't checked. Wasps are beefier Rocs so a light Wasp might be close to a normal weight Roc.

I'd imagine that a 150 Banshee would be good based on my broken in 170 DX Banshee.

Blizzards are all over the place but you'd be hard pressed to find a better long 150 disc than an overstable (for the mold) Zero G 150 Quantum. Some are flippy good for only open field max D and others are kick ass the best average D while being fairly controllable thanks to the low power requirement and mild slowly starting fade. Think of a little broken in Roc slo limousine like comfy movements but at speed 13 at a reduced power requirement thanks to the low weight! It really is that good. The reason i did not put this in the top picks list is that headwinds are a problem and it is not so bad with the above.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby keltik » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:28 am

so if you're going to Japan how are we going to get all of our insider Pro gossip? I'm a little sad Dr. Hernland.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby juju » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:35 pm

keltik wrote:so if you're going to Japan how are we going to get all of our insider Pro gossip? I'm a little sad Dr. Hernland.

He will be giving us plenty of updates about Manabu Kajiyama.
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby JR » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:13 pm

Don't forget the Japanese champion Tetsuya Kikuchi or one if not the most impressive seasoned player in the world Kazuo Shirai.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby keltik » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:08 pm

Will you at least post some cool pictures of Japanese DG Courses on here? and could you also get on DGCR and update the course info for Japan as well? just some suggestions.

anyway I'll play nice:

150 JLSs
Opto Air Saints
Opto Air Swords
I think Rocs in 150 behave just like full weight ones. But I think this more applies to older DX and KCP. not 100% on that.
150 Wizards I guess
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:08 am

Youtube channel marorogunso i think the spelling is has many videos of Japanese events including many from Tokyo area so i look forward to seeing you on camera when you are over there :-)
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Monocacy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:51 am

150 midrange options: The Ibex and Obex are available in the 150s, as is the Gator in DX. Hero Disc has a variety of Rocs in a variety of plastics.

150 putter options: Hero Disc has the P2, Omega Super Soft, Pro Dart, and Aviars in various plastics.

I will be very interested to hear what works for you.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JHern » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:33 pm

Ibex and Obex sound interesting, and I'll definitely check on the Wizards. I'm sure I'll be able to find a full selection of Hero Discs (i.e., Innova 150) in Japan. Either way I'll let everyone know what I make for a bag.

Yes, of course I'll post pics! And I'll still be in touch with a lot of folks here in Santa Cruz and the USA.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby Aubin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:14 am

What an awesome opportunity, congrats!

No real disc recommendations, but I'm pretty sure the legal weight in Japan was just raised to 159.9. This opens up a lot of options.
ChallengerMagnetCometTeebirdsDestroyersPredator
Aubin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: APX

Postby JR » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:06 am

Max weight Obex is not that overstable at all think of a new DX Rancho Roc. The Ibex can't take headwinds and the Obex can take moderate headwinds but it is flippy in gusts.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion