The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - 2012 Edition.

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - 2012 Edition.

Postby JR » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:02 am

Man did i crash and burn in the first weekly of the off season in Meilahti, Helsinki, Finland. My head didn't hurt after the fun evening yesterday but my body sure was suffering from the effects. I sweated like a pig. I had streams of sweat flowing on my glasses and the Optifog coating allowed me to see. In 46 F regular glasses would have fogged up mercilessly with the amount of bullets i was sweating. I had a too late revelation about zero drop shoes lowering the trousers. I hadn't thrown in the winter pants i used now since buying the Vivobarefoot Off Roads. Losing weight meant a further drop of the pants so they were constantly under my heel. At first i thought the two slips in driving on wet rocks came from the shoes losing traction but perhaps it came down to the trouser insulating the sole from the ground partially.

The bad: I shot 11 off my personal record aargh! I have plantar fascitis and have not thrown a single time nor putted in a month and thanks to the public transportation being late i could not get any warm up throws and boy did it show. I hit the nearest bush top on the first drive. All of one foot from the tee. The disc didn't stop there but i thought this ain't a good omen because it is an uphill drive and i could not lift my arm. I sent the command and promptly my arm moved flat. I said i will never be a good nazi because i can't raise my arm consistently. That was the least of my body failures. The summer of playing less and running/cycling more helped me none. My core tilted unwantedly despite trying to stiffen up the muscles for goo posture keeping. Despite having had a day of rest after a big day at work my tendonitis came swinging at me fucking up the rest of my game. Blechh. I'm so disgusted that i'm thinking more of donating my discs rather than learning to throw lefty. Bugger. i'm not happy about having tendonitis trouble after not throwing for a month. What am i supposed to do to be able to throw if such long breaks mean nothing? Swearwords are about half of the words in my thoughts grr... :evil:

The really ugly: I had a classic oh shit moment in the driving field after the round when i was thinking i cannot be this off managing to throw only 360'. I had tightened up the suspenders of the pants to limit how often and how they would slip under the heels and loosening those up allowed 403' twice in a row. During the second throw my left calf bulged up nastily. It was warning enough so i quit then.

The good: The lousy trousers has a hole in it from being under the heel now. So much for buying not exactly properly sized discount clothes. Not so cheap now that i need to replace them :-( i'll be poorer but from now on at least that problem source will not bother me as often. I do have other trousers that are too long so i need to think carefully when to use them because the shoes are pretty good everywhere else but in wet rocks. The course is 90 % that. I'm afraid that in colder weather the sole material might get slicker and the half decent traction might deteriorate. I identified a way to improve as a player. I need to train alcohol intake much more to be able to handle it so that on the following day i can compete effectively :-) Cough.

This is absolutely the worst season ever for me not having played a lot thanks to surgery and i've had three public super shitty blow up rounds now with drastically worse results than my average and truly pitiful difference to my record rounds :-( I have shivers from getting cold. Perfect.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Monocacy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:47 pm

Good: Had one of my best throws on Rockburn #6. The sign said the pin was in D, so I figured “throw long” and hyzer-flipped the Mamba 350’ down the tunnel.

Bad: Turns out the D pin was short and right.

Ugly: I overthrew the pin by nearly 100 feet. Actually, I’m going to list that as good. 8)
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Monocacy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:06 am

Good: I just started throwing BH rollers, and one finished 40’ from the basket on a downhill, cedar-packed 400’ hole.

Bad: Missed the putt

Ugly: Another roller executed a huge “U”, winding up at the bottom of a hill two fairways right of the tee.

Good: Made two 40’ putts on the last two holes – one to save par, and one for birdie. On the last one, a family of hikers provided an unexpected and enthusiastic response.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:49 am

Fuck!!! I will not renew my PDGA membership this year and declare myself to be the president of the 888 club. My rotten corpse fucked my so bad that i have no business whatsoever to take the spot of a disc golfer from competition. I cannot in all honesty call myself a disc golfer at this point. I am not in control and the one that is making the shot. What my brain sends out as command is not carried out by my body. Despite being leaner than in 12 previous years and fitter on land than ever in most ways especially in muscle power. I thought of proper signatures to the score card. Candidates included satan threw i got the score, Satan made me do it, Hitler threw, Hitler made me do it, Adolf Hitler... :evil:

Good? My gear was as good or better than ever before, i was more rested than ever, my body was loose. I took part in the annual season starter event Meilahden millenniumi and the refusal of my body to accept orders transformed my competition into an ace race. I was within 7' on one shot at the correct height once after being so miserable that the others in my group could not stand it so my only good point in disc golf forcing others to throw well so that at least one in the group works. The only ace of the event came from my group FH without chains. Naturally i wasn't the one that did it :-) There was no other point in playing to the finish than getting fresh air and exercise. I did not learn anything really because i was not in charge despite getting a couple or three picture perfect throws. Mostly it was early slip followed by grip lock or another slip with enough normal throws sprinkled in between that i could not anticipate what comes next so that i could compensate.

Bad. My body control is lost mostly after a two month non throwing period then one event then another two month hiatus and the weekly last week and now the season start. Which is the final individual event for me this year most likely. There is no point in taking up space and spoiling the mood of the other players thanks to me being tortured for yet another day in this 14 year thus far stretch. Man do i want to torture kill whoever is responsible for the misdesign of the human body. Despite being loose i threw with jerks and what felt like corners in the movements. Power control was almost full tilt or none. Most of the event was overdoing it in the drives as an overcompensation for the weak tentative drives the last weekend followed by pussyfooted approaches well short of the mark. With increasing rate of early slips in putts. Adding insult to injury when i left the event the next song that came on was Näinhän täällä käy=This is what happens here as a free translation. Yeah fuck you and nuke in your nuts too. More salt to the twisted backstabbed wound the only beer in my fridge should have been ok judging by the type. Wheat beer from Germany that is sour as hell. Just like my life. Thank you very many. Or was it F...

Ugly. Yeah... you... do... not... want... to... know. Or i'd kill you for asking just to dish out the agony i've been dealt to stay democratic and sharing the "wealth". Crap. I can't keep on giving people face to face lessons because i cannot show how i can only tell. I'm standing under a personally targeted piss storm. I don't know in which body part i should shoot myself. Really i want to torture the ombudsman for rotten corpses sold as bodies and the fuck that designed that flawed shit i've been paired with as a ball and chain and the gift that keeps on giving. Murder and torture all around just to get the playing field even.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby chainchaser » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:15 am

Good: Played all year with little to no pain in my elbow.

Bad: hurt hip while hiking so now I am dealing with that

Ugly: putting- days I can hit them then other days I could not hit the broad side of a barn.
chainchaser
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Surge SS

Postby JR » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:24 am

Technically the wrong year but this was highest on the list of topics.

The good: Prodigy D2 in no to minimal wind on a distance line to 462' after skips that were stopped early due to hitting a soccer goal. I wonder how far a Nuke would have gotten. I got the anny, height, wrist down and wrist movement right and fingers springing as well somewhat right at the same time i assume. A first probably for me. The landing was probably at around 420-430' and i did not pay too much attention to the height except it was not too high to stop the disc so a rough guess only is around 18-22' apex height. Previous attempts were 30'ish shorter so it can easily be called a fluke other than one of the shorter ones was in a mild headwind. A quick paced bike ride to a shop selling camo clothing with proven track record of hiding me from being too visible with the jacket alone on TV while filming the EO was at a record average speed. My arm could take some FH practice. Or i hope it does not result in swelling and pain tomorrow anyway. Hammer drill FH added some easy D, looseness and relieved some muscle tightness and might have helped BH too.

The bad: Trying to put high power on discs FH was pretty much doomed unless using a Force or a PD2 C-Line EO stamp. I was left at just under 300' FH with many shots but the spread the spreeeeeeaaaaad.... I meant to test the distance of the Atlas but managed to leave it at home :roll: :oops:

The ugly: Almost each powered FH drive. Arm hurting when trying to tense up the wrist and pinch tighter while moving the arm with high power. From any reach back distance. In a previous test with 50 drivers throwing mostly to 250' and rarely to 280-290' the QOLS performed well but trying to punch it now lead to mostly rollers grr. It is still ok at 260-270' when i am loose and try to avoid pushing and keep the reach back just ahead of the side.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to General Discussion