New to the board?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: New to the board?

Postby speedinghook » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:50 pm

Hello everyone, brand new to the sport and this forum. My brother and his family came down for Thanksgiving and got me started on something I had never heard of before. Have been a few times since he went back home. I only have three discs and still learning control, looking to get some more discs as soon as I can. My wife and my youngest son love playing as well so I'll have to get quite a few discs. I would like to meet up with anybody that lives around the Beaumont Texas area to learn from. I go to the Kountze Park because it's on the way home from work and I've been to Klien Park. Glad to be here.
speedinghook
Noob

Favorite Disc: IDK YET

Postby JR » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:37 am

Welcome to the addiction :-) Disc golf is a great way to spend time with friends and family.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby LuckyEagle405 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:41 pm

hey guys. new to the board. i live in oklahoma city, oklahoma. will rogers is my home course. my favorite disc is a star eagle. iv been playing about 3 months.iv gotten 1 ace. my drives are around 280ft. i throw rhbh. always looking to improve my game. and i am very grateful for any tips. in my bag; star valkyrie, star eagle, buzzz, kc aviar putter, and champion firebird. all around 168- 172g. and i use a 3 finger power grip. anyone on here play at my home course?
Grip it and Rip it
LuckyEagle405
Noob

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby dgdave » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:22 pm

I'm in Norman. I don't get up to Will often since I live about 2 minutes from Griffin and Lions, but I have a hundred rounds up there probably and 3x that at dolese. Hit me up if you ever want to get a round in.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby inthedrift » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:31 pm

LuckyEagle405 wrote:hey guys. new to the board. i live in oklahoma city, oklahoma. will rogers is my home course. my favorite disc is a star eagle. iv been playing about 3 months.iv gotten 1 ace. my drives are around 280ft. i throw rhbh. always looking to improve my game. and i am very grateful for any tips. in my bag; star valkyrie, star eagle, buzzz, kc aviar putter, and champion firebird. all around 168- 172g. and i use a 3 finger power grip. anyone on here play at my home course?

You have a nice disc selection - keep working with all of them.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby bfowler » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:15 pm

Sup. I'm new to boards and I've been playing for about 4 months. Played once or twice 15 years ago but didn't get the bug. A buddy as work dragged me to a course and I got hooked...bad. I've been playing anywhere from 1 to 4 times a week since I started. Recently I've been hitting the practice field every day after work for an hour and I'm thinking about cancelling my gym membership because I'm always playing golf instead.

I'm in Charlotte, my home course is probably Reedy Creek but there are tons of great courses around here. I'm just now getting to where I can throw over 300 feet. My bag consists of Surge, Avenger, Avenger SS, Buzzz, Glo Stalker, Dart, and my putter are a Gateway Voodoo and a new Magic (which I'm loving). I've got a new DX Roc and a White 169 Avenger is ESP plastic on the way and I plan to do my first dye job turning the Avenger into a Captain America shield.
bfowler
Noob

Postby TheDuchess » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:16 am

Hi. I'm Holly Finley. New to this site.

I LOVE disc golf.

Holly Finley
Celebrity Ambassador
Innova Disc Golf
TheDuchess
Noob

Favorite Disc: Blizzard Katana

Postby JR » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:58 am

Welcome again i replied already in the video thread but didn't want to clutter it with non promotional stuff. Like i see that you have a good arm and your form varies and week 5 video had the best form and there are standard pieces of advice here that are derived from watching for commonalities in the forms of the best players in the world. Also backed up by physics. That have allowed many people to add distance, accuracy and consistency to their drives. I've done a lot of video critiques here and instructed in real life too. Would you like an outside perspective on your form and what you could try to improve your game? The better you throw the better it will look to people that don't know and yet love the sport.

It is not just the flight of the disc that can be beautiful in disc golf. A cat like grace in throwing technique of being smooth and effortless yet delivering tremendous power is something that will impress many that don't know anything about sports. Athletes might be even more impressed.

Looking from the point of view of a Finn in a snow storm with plenty of snow on the ground i'd say you are perfectly located to train your form :-) I know that Finnish athletes have trained in South Africa after one of their best athletes married a Finnish top athlete and he used his local connections. I don't know common it is for foreign national team athletes to train in SA but there are facilities for track & field good enough for Olympic athletes. Perhaps contacting the administrators in different facilities could get you ideas and contacts to local athletes and organizations that might be interested in getting disc golf clinics from you. They know the culture, customs, people and how to work the system so they might be able to open doors for you and do the marketing of attracting people to get to the clinic.

Demonstrations might be a good idea to introduce the sport. You could get many more eyeballs on the sport in a soccer match or any other sport where the audiences are large. If you can throw a demo in the half time and have an announcement that you'll give instruction for groups sized as large as you can handle after the match and at place x at time y you would reach thousands of sports lovers at a time. Perhaps you could entertain the crowd trying to out throw a goalie kicking the ball. It would be cool if you can throw 330'ish to throw from one end of the soccer field to the other. If there were posters in the entrances to the sports arenas it could be announced that those posters instruct how to get in contact with you so that people can book a clinic.

Playing might be more fun than clinics so maybe you should try to offer that option too. As a fun activity many kinds of organizations from kinder gartens to homes for the elderly could probably use a new kind of activity. It is too easy to blow off an email so walking into the office of PE teachers, decision makers of many organizations sports complexes etc. might work better. I don't know much of South Africa and the cultures in there but they are fun loving people and if you approach them in a manner that paints disc golf as something fun rather than a chore like a "real sport" where you pant, hurt and sweat it might be more enticing.

As you see i should put a stop in here somewhere being a one man brain trust :-) It's just we've thought of many things and implemented a few here in Finland where we have the second most players in the world so we have many actives that also think of where to go next. So far we've gotten more ideas than those that can put everything into action. Most like to play rather than volunteer because disc golf is so rad!
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby TheDuchess » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:21 am

I've only been playing for 11 months, so I'm still learning. Everyday is a learning day. Always open for advice.

As far as progressing the sport in Africa, I have already contacted local organizations such as Scouts, Community Centers, YMCA, etc. They are not interested. I have made some progress with a few schools, so that will be lined up for January. All schools here are gated with security guards, so just walking in isn't as easy as one might think.

I have been playing on Saturday's and inviting the locals to join. Have had a few come with and it was fun times indeed. Thanks for the message!
TheDuchess
Noob

Favorite Disc: Blizzard Katana

Postby JR » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:36 am

Gates at schools rolled eyes. People go out to parks i hope? Many parks around the world have disc golf courses in them. Object golf and portable basket golf might attract attention too. This is not the perfect thread for throwing technique advice so i'll private message you later. I don't know in which ways you have approach the organizations other than emails but people get flooded with emails even legitimate ones but also a lot of junk mail. That won't work as effectively as face to face meeting. There are probably lots of sports organizations and possibly a ministry of sports that might be able to help in creating contacts and opening the doors to get face to face time with the powers that be. What did the ultimate and disc sports people say? Do they have contacts to other groups that might be interested in disc golf lessons?

Patience is the key but since you have a limited time in there the more doors you knock and the more people help to get people to listen and arrange meetings and clinics, playing etc. the better. It takes just one right person to get the snow ball to roll and to turn into a chain reaction. I find it odd that people are not interested in free past time help.

Hang tough and don't be discouraged it takes just one break and if it does not happen you will still have sowed the seeds to mature into something fruitful until the spark ignites the flame.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby philrider7 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:59 pm

Newbie from Drummondville, Quebec, Canada! Hi everyone after watching the forum for a long time, I decided to register myself and bring you the Disc golf news from up north. Please don't mind my english, because I am french speaking first and can have mishap sometimes writing in English (thanks Google for the help). I'll post a teaser of a disc golf movie we did on 27-29 of december 2012 in almost 20 inches of snow! Disc golf has never seen something like this.
philrider7
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JR » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:28 pm

Welcome i look forward to seeing that piece. Even though there are videos of winter events around it is always fun to see new ones because they are the minority.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Nihilist » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:45 am

New to the board (aside from lurking :P ) and new to the game. Just started playing in September and have been hooked ever since. I live in central Iowa so I have access to several nearby courses including Pickard Park, Ewing Park, Big Creek, and Walnut Ridge, just to name a few. Constantly trying to find ways to get better and always looking for more videos to watch! thanks!
Nihilist
Noob

Favorite Disc: MVP Ion

Postby UCFKnightsDG » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:50 pm

Hey everyone brand new player here. I just played my first 9 holes about two hours ago here on the University of Central Florida's 9 hole course. I have been waiting to play since the holidays but have a wife and a daughter so given my 4 hour break between classes I knew it would be the perfect opportunity. I had a lot of fun but lost one of the discs I checked out from our RWC in some Sago's (I also got cut up looking for it) I guess that's one of the joys of playing in Florida is the thick vegetation. Fortunately I did find two other discs while looking for my loaner so I guess I have a couple of my own now :) I had a lot of fun playing and did a lot better than I thought I would. I played Ultimate in a league so I am pretty familiar with a forehand and backhand throws but struggled getting a lot of distance of my drives. I think so far the best part of playing is those medium to close range shots that I "almost" made. Any way if anyone goes to UCF and wants to play or lives in Sanford/Orlando area let me know I would love to get some tips. I live about 10 minutes from the Debary course which is now 18 holes so I am going to check that out soon as well as both the courses at Turkey Lake. Cant wait to get back out there and looking forward to hear from everyone.
UCFKnightsDG
Noob

Favorite Disc: Shark

Postby JR » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:35 am

Welcome. For videos check out Youtube channels, lcgm8 mfranssila centralcoastdiscgolf murdermike(i think there's a PDGA number in that account name too) hassimus loksupoksu discgolflive discgolfmonthly... There are more those just popped up to my head right away.

More distance for an ultimate guy normally means training the leg work taking x steps and turning the back and heels toward the target when the x step lands. Once that works adding a run up might buy a little more D but will also sacrifice accuracy and consistency. So a lot of field work is needed to minimize the damage from the extra speed. Because accuracy and consistency win in the long term i would first polish the throwing technique using max x steps and not at full speed first. Patience distance will come with practice of a better form. A better form maintained with added speed will add distance once you can maintain the proper from. That can take a long time to learn. For most it might take years. But if you can get good help you don't need to unlearn bad habits expediting your progress tremendously. In early career field practice is king because you can throw many more times in the same time and reps are needed to learn body control.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion