A few vids for critique

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: A few vids for critique

Postby JR » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:52 pm

The pause is lacking. Until you correct that and the hip posture it is good that you don't the head farther back and reach back farther. When you fix those issues that is the next thing which will push you up a distance plateau or two. During the x step tighten up the stomach and lower back muscles some increasing in stiffness every time you tilt at the hips until you don't. Then you know the minimum tightness level needed for consistency.

The biggest thing will probably be planting the final step 6-10" to the right where it is now. I'd try that first before adding muscle tension in the core.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JeffzeNub » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:35 am

JR wrote:The biggest thing will probably be planting the final step 6-10" to the right where it is now. I'd try that first before adding muscle tension in the core.

Do you mean to the right in the video(so a shorter step) or to my physical right?
JeffzeNub
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby JR » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:42 pm

To your physical right but it is also a good idea to explore different stride lengths for different speeds. A way too short plant step for any given speed will lock up the femor to hip bone joint exceeding its movement range which stops the natural flow of the momentum you have created thus far. It jerks the upper body forward as the lower body retards quickly. And when the plant step is too far toward the left of the tee for optimal accuracy and consistency (which is every body part moves on the same plane as your intended hyzer angle is) for a flat throw there is a chance that the locked up hip joint also tilts the upper body to the right.

All of these possible issues would be helped a lot by just planting more toward the right side of the tee for a flat throw.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JeffzeNub » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:49 pm

More of an update, i did a little better on core tightness, but my plant step placement and balance still leave a lot to be desired.

I can definitely feel the difference in the acceleration of the disc once it crosses my chest with the core tightness.

Tomorrow is plant step day.

Thanks again!

PS - Heel pivot at :55, am I on the right track there?
JeffzeNub
Noob

Postby seabas22 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:31 pm

You need to load on your rear leg differently and stop letting your rear heel touch the ground which will also change your balance.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JeffzeNub » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:00 pm

seabas22 wrote:You need to load on your rear leg differently and stop letting your rear heel touch the ground which will also change your balance.

k
JeffzeNub
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:18 am

Your ball of the foot is usually on the ground. The 55 second throw is still borderline and because you plant the final step too far left for the easiest flat throw so it is no wonder that the sole to side of the shoe corner that you roll on is on the wrong side of the foot. You should land the plant step on the left side of the toe rolling to the heel on the left sole to side corner. A couple of inches more of ball of the foot height on land ground would help vs the visible separation of the grass tips to the ball of the foot there. Because the grass was fairly high you are probably well protected from injuries with that ball of the foot height in the throw that starts at 55 seconds.

Your hips stayed well aligned with added core tightness so you're right about the need to test different sideways placements of the plant step next to rectify the other half of leaning to the right.

At the speeds you were moving it is perfectly ok to leave the left leg on the ground and having the toe tip touch the ground is very Avery Jenkins. If you bent the knees 10-20 degrees more and pushed praying mantis fast with the left leg you could add more speed and have a good form. With more speed seabas is right in that the Feldy kick becomes easier to perform. Ideally knowing both ways can help you in different situations.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JeffzeNub » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:07 am

Thank you both for the quick replies!
JeffzeNub
Noob

Postby JeffzeNub » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:23 pm

I went to the field today, but most of the throws are basically the same. Changing my plant step positioning definitely helped with my balance, but I know my timing is still off. I did edit and upload 1 of my throws and I slowed it down. So I feel like my throw looks somewhat acceptable until ~ :10 when I shift my weight, from there I think it is just my body compensating for what my mind is trying to tell it to do. Am I not stopping my momentum enough with my right leg?. Should my knees be closer together?

Also, just a random question, where are you guys looking when you are throwing?

PS - Do you prefer an edited video with 1 throw or the 3 minutes of me throwing 15 or 20 discs?
JeffzeNub
Noob

Postby seabas22 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:02 pm

Your balance looks improved, although it can still improve more. Now you need to pivot/clear your hips back as your foot comes forward to plant and delay opening/throwing until you brace your front side. You don't really want to stop momentum, but redirect it by pivoting/clearing the front hip/shoulder which should help you bring the disc through closer to the body and get the elbow further forward. You are stopping/jamming your front hip and your momentum crashes into it. I'm looking at my disc until it rips and then my shoulder will bring my head up. I like that vid, although one full speed with one slow is better, and also adding a camera angle from behind helps show some other things.

seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JR » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:56 am

Look at the left knee at the rip and see how the leg dragged on the ground. The knee should become straight at the rip to get acceleration to the end or even a little after the rip and the toe should remain stationary or the leg is not pushing any more. The right leg is getting pretty far forward for the moving speed. If you cannot add speed to the left leg push and stop or seriously limit the raising of the right leg from the hip toward the target during the plant step you might need to switch to the Feldy kick at higher power levels. Look at Will Schusterick slo mo videos and how close his knees are together so that he can turn quickly and push hard with the legs.

You were flat footed and that ruins the throw so it is hard to comment how the rest of throw goes because it is corrupted.

I vary where i look at based on the angle. The closer my hyzer angle is to golf club swing angle the more i use a golf type head is down after the rip and the shoulders turning in the follow through bring the head up. I have a limber neck and i warm up and stretch before the first throw and i've been warned that my flat throw head usage is dangerous and people with neck trouble could hurt themselves bad. With a flat throw i utilize the natural plane that the discs in the neck rotate. Which happens to match 100 % to a flat throw disc and arm swing angle, hip twist and shoulder turn too. I aim also in visual way. I try to pick a reference point sideways and vertically and throw to that precise point. Climo gave a tip to turn the eyes to the corner of the eye so that once you turn from the reach back toward the target you'll acquire the target the quickest visually. The throw is so quick that the eyes have trouble focusing if you don't turn the head in advance of the body, lock the head in place so that you can see the target and rotate the lower neck and everything below freely. Apparently not everyone can do that. My neck is like a ball bearing so i achieve a good disconnect between the weight of the head and the movements of the head and the body. Which in golf and disc golf spike hyzers will throw you off balance. That is why for different angles different head usage is needed if you aim visually too for milder hyzers to annies.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JeffzeNub » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:33 am

thanks for the quick replies as always, headed out to get some throws in!
JeffzeNub
Noob

Postby JeffzeNub » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:12 am

Long time no see! Haven't been to the field in a while so I decided to take the go pro to the course with me yesterday. My throw isnt perfect yet, but I thought I would give a sort of 1 year update even though it hasnt quite been a year since I started.

PS - I didnt get a chance to edit this one so its just 3 or 4 throws with no slow mo, sorry : /

Also: This hole plays like ~285 and all of my shots except the 3rd(orange one) were pin high or longer (discs in order : 172 echo star leopard, 173? Z wasp, 171 x comet, 175 d drone)
JeffzeNub
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:14 am

Is that the way you throw for maximum power? Not reaching back farther helps in consistency and accuracy but a longer reach back adds more distance. I don't think the masterbeato video left leg kick up is the proper way to develop the most power. In the Feldy kick the left leg should move like a door at a constant height not down to up. Or the left leg should be grounded until the disc has left. Evidence: Your hips and shoulders did not move much at all to the right. There was too little momentum to turn the body and twist the hips and turn the shoulders. Even passively which happens when you push hard with the left leg and brace the right leg. You might also push back with the right leg. And move faster with the steps. Your momentum is so minimal that you did not take a proper follow through step and oddly enough you still lost balance at the hips tilting to the right. Tighter core muscles hold you upright better and experimenting where to land the plant step and in which direction to run (read my signature) might help there.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby iacas » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:01 pm

JR wrote:Or the left leg should be grounded until the disc has left. Evidence: Your hips and shoulders did not move much at all to the right. … Even passively which happens when you push hard with the left leg and brace the right leg.

Are you still convinced that the left or trail leg pushes off, despite the incredible amount of evidence that clearly shows the left foot leaving the ground very early into the forward motion of many player's throws?
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

PreviousNext

Return to Video Critique