pure(ly) awesome

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: pure(ly) awesome

Postby andrew » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:02 pm

Just ordered an Opto Pure having never thrown a Pure before but thinking it might save my Gateway Glow Wizards some tree knocks. Predictions of differences I should expect (besides rim)? Will report results...
Wizards/Pures/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebird/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby TOURNEYPLAYER » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:44 am

i also throw wizards. the pure is just that, pure. it will hold lines better than the wiz. and for me is much easier to forehand approach with. it was love at first throw. it feels like the most indestructible disc too. so solid.
TOURNEYPLAYER
I bugged Frank for a rank and got this as my rank. WOOOO Frank rules!

Favorite Disc: ZONE BITCHES

Postby Ryan C » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:24 am

I have given these Pures some time, and I've decided they are not going to make the bag. They fly really well on drives, but for approaches in the 150' range, I find them very fast and difficult to control. To me, they feel and fly very midrangey, and that doesn't really help my touch. It's awesome for driving, of course, but I can be just as accurate approaching the basket with a Buzzz as with these Pures, which sort of defeats the purpose of having a putter.

I really don't throw putters for distance. When I was a newer player, I would push my putters out to 300' all the time, and in those days I would have been in love, but these days I usually throw a mid anywhere outside 250'. I don't really subscribe to the "throw the slowest disc that will get there" teaching that is common here, at least when it comes to upshots. You wont see me throwing a Destroyer on a 300' hole, and in the same way, you wont see my throwing a Pure for 150' upshot. I really feel slower putters do those shots better. Not saying they don't fly well, cause the definitely do, they just don't do what I want my driving putter to do, which is be more controllable than a midrange.

So my Pures are for trade. I've got 3 176g oranges, two field thrown, one has seen a half dozen rounds. All have been deflashed. I'd like new or slightly used Star Destroyers in the 170-174 range, stiff DX Aviars, or Axises in the 176-177 range.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JR » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:26 am

The thread is named appropriately and please don't deflash each of your Pures. Rather deflash at most one because when new the bees have knees and tits :-) You can throw the Pure softly at reduced power just fine just don't reach back as far and don't rip the arm forward at full speed and you're fine.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Ryan C » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:09 am

Flash is basically a manufacturing defect. Something that Latitude should already be removing themselves before shipping. Also, I still think Pures are too fast to be good finesse approach discs. I am familiar with the concept of not throwing things at full power already.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JR » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:57 pm

I for one am a fan of this particular manufacturing defect :-D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby andrew » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:56 pm

Have a few rounds with the Opto Pure under the belt, and here's my observations so far: it works great as a tweener- longer than putters, shorter than mids. Definitely holds lines better than Wizard- can get it to do a gentle anny which Wiz won't do. I had one bad throw kind of nose-up and high where I expected turn-and-burn but it just stalled out and dropped almost straight down. Today, threw a gentle hyzer weaving to the left of one tree and to the right of another before landing in the basket from what I was worried was too close a distance for the movement involved (barely outside the circle). Hit one tree so far and it bounced off like a rubber ball and kept going.

I'd call it a touch/control disc- I still have the Wizards if I just want to fire a putt straight at the chains.

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:32 am

Ripping it in the winds ain't such a great idea unless the winds are moderate to mild. in the calm full tilt rips aren't a problem.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:27 am

Jokeri is for ripping into very windy conditions, Pure is for accurate targeting in calm(er) conditions. I've been pretty quiet in this thread which I suppose is a little ironic considering the huge hard on I have for this disc... but I will say I'm still throwing it and have not been disappointed. I don't know if I would call it clearly superior to other products out there but it is without question the disc for me. Let me break down what I like about it:

Glides - and it does it well.
Neutral- with minimal hyzer flip these things are just about the straightest damn putter drivers I've ever seen fly. Pick a line and it holds it. This does mean it doesn't fade out of an anhyzer well though, which does limit the angle of the anny line you can put it on thanks to roll out.
Range - perhaps to some a liability... I find it just makes the disc that much more versatile. It flies well slow and flies AMAZING with speed on it.
No bead - I've got a thing against beaded putters, I don't know why. I have, can, and will throw them if the spirit moves or if the beaded disc is clearly superior but I don't "prefer" them. *Insert Buzzz vs. Roc comment here*
Shallow rim - I REALLY like to be able to have the sides of the pads of my finger tips comfortably touch the bottom of the flight plate. On the Pure, they do.
Plastic - Opto... Nothing more needs be said.

My only complaint would be the weight. It's sort of a catch 22 though because I also love the weight for putter driving, sort of like how most people like their mids to be 180g. For putting though, which I really want to do with it, I would really prefer a 168-170g, 6-8g does make a difference. Though I CAN still putt with it... and I do.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby eky8 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:32 pm

I'm loving my opto pure. When I can keep them in the bag. I've had 2 and haven't had either one for longer than 2 weeks. Got an ace with one yesterday, and it was stolen out of my bag 1 hole later. (Long story.) But i do love the flight. It's such a pretty disc in the air slow and straight, or what ever you want to do with it. So versatile from 300' in. I'm actually really loving the TM2 pures for putting too. They do seem to nick up a bit when putting. But so did the zero's. Then they stop after a while and just look a little beat up but fly perfectly. I've gotten in a zone lately where if I can get a good clean look at the basket from 50' in I just know it's going in. I'm making a large percentage of those.
eky8
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The last one I dyed

Postby JR » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:26 pm

The speed you describe could be viewed to be so compared to a mid and landing in tall grass stopping immediately for flat shots. The actual high speed for a putter is illustrated well on landing to harder surfaces annied or hyzered and in tight corners where it will skip or roll depending on the angle and speed. With flash my yellow 176 Opto Pure tends to push through hyzer and anny on shorter holes of say sub 200'. At least if the angles are mild. Given over a dozen degrees of angle it starts to turn faster but it still won't do the tightest turns even at 30 degrees of anny but a fairly steep one if given a lot of height to flex to less anny on the landing and even then it can skip or cut roll.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Heatseeker » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:28 am

I recently obtained pair of used gripline pures and liked them very very much. Now I also bought two new opto pures which I haven't tested yet. I am kicking my old wizards out of my bag and I think these will give me many options and possible lines in future. Atleast gripline is sweet for turnover shots, anhyzers and they also held hyzer pretty good. Awesome disc.
Heatseeker
Noob

Favorite Disc: Classic Roc

Postby andrew » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Any recommendations other than Jokeri (thanks for that, Jeronimo) as a compliment to Opto Pure for full rips into the wind?

Edit to also ask: Assume another option would be a Zone?

andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:48 pm

Zone or maybe a Champ rhyno.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby linkinparkervii » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:34 pm

Sinus. But it doesnt come in premium plastic yet :(