pure(ly) awesome

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: pure(ly) awesome

Postby keltik » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:42 pm

apparently they have recycled GL Pures now. http://www.dtworld.com/Recycled-Line-Pu ... re-rec.htm
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby inthedrift » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:48 pm

andrew wrote:Any recommendations other than Jokeri (thanks for that, Jeronimo) as a compliment to Opto Pure for full rips into the wind?

Edit to also ask: Assume another option would be a Zone?

Rhyno, Pig, Sinus
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby andrew » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:52 pm

I'm somewhat familiar with the Rhino and still own a Champ, but without having done an actual side-by-side, I feel I can pretty much replicate it by powering down a Gator. I'll give it a try but suspect the Rhino doesn't have the glide factor of the Pure to act as an easily adjusted compliment. JR, in the Prodiscus thread, does say the Jokeri has some glide, so I'm still leaning that direction. Also, Jokeri is described as having a similar feel to the Pure. I guess there are a few shots and also windier days where I want the Pure minus the finesse aka margin of error but retain the Pure's gift of having a touch more speed than the Wizard. Haven't tried Zone, Pig, Sinus....
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby JR » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:51 am

andrew wrote:I'm somewhat familiar with the Rhino and still own a Champ, but without having done an actual side-by-side, I feel I can pretty much replicate it by powering down a Gator. I'll give it a try but suspect the Rhino doesn't have the glide factor of the Pure to act as an easily adjusted compliment. JR, in the Prodiscus thread, does say the Jokeri has some glide, so I'm still leaning that direction. Also, Jokeri is described as having a similar feel to the Pure. I guess there are a few shots and also windier days where I want the Pure minus the finesse aka margin of error but retain the Pure's gift of having a touch more speed than the Wizard. Haven't tried Zone, Pig, Sinus....

Jokeri has more glide and speed than the Rhyno but the Pure is fast too. Pure/Rhyno or Pure/Pig complement each other well because the distances are different. Pure/Jokeri complement in different flight paths but they are almost as long. The only advantage to that combo is that the Jokeri will fly roughly like the Pure in a decent headwind.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby NoLifeLeft » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:18 am

I've been complementing my Pures with a Ridge (or a VP if conditions are REALLY bad) because the lack of glide comes in handy sometimes.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby JR » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:20 am

Both of those are great complements for the speed difference too. Still the Ridge is deceptively long and straight being only a hair beefier which is great on many holes. If you have the power to straighten the Ridge that is and throw it high enough to allow it to go almost as far/as far. That needs at least 400' driver power IME.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby vto » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:04 am

Yes, one of the reasons why I use the VP instead of Jokeri to complement my Pures is the speed and glide difference. If I'm afraid I might overshoot with the Pure, the VP takes care of that very nicely, and it's overstable enough to work in any kind of wind situations where I might not trust my Pures. Although I have to say once I went from Grip Pures to Opto Pures for driving, I've thrown the VP much less than before. The extra stability that Opto Pure has over the Grip Pures has made me reach for the Pure even when going for hyzer drives and approaches, as it holds hyzer quite well if there's not too much wind. Opto or GL Sinus would be tempting though, but they've said they can't make them in Opto. But that's what they said about the Pure too...
Quasar, Nuke, Predator, Orion LF, Orion LS, Roc, Comet, Sinus AP, Pure
vto
Noob

Favorite Disc: Orion LF

Postby aerodriver » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:09 pm

I've got two eze line Pures in my bag. Really solid grip and a great fit in my hand. It's a straight flyer simply throwing it or putting with it.
PDGA #59212
NEFA #1910
Team Trilogy
aerodriver
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Latitude 64 Trident

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:44 pm

I threw some Grip Line Pure's a while back but they didn't have any baseline plastics at that time that suited me so I gave them up. Today I picked up the Zero Hard Pures and have found the putter I've always wanted. When I got these 2 hards I also noticed my PIAS had some LE GL Pures so I picked one of them up. Has anyone thrown these things? I didn't know they existed. I tossed it around some today and like it a lot but am wondering how the Opto's compare in stability and durability.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby JR » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:43 am

I haven't thrown the Zero hard Pure but have a Spike and a Mace and durability is a problem for that plastic and not for the Opto. Opto Pures push through hyzer and anny on powered drives for a large percentage of the early part of the flight.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:09 am

Well I want the Zero Hards to beat up so that's no problem. The GL one is what I'm trying to compare to the Opto. I've not heard of GL Pures before.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:26 pm

I have a GL. But I haven't thrown it. They came out mainly as a worlds fundraiser last year. $25 is a lot to throw around in the woods.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:09 pm

Meh, mine was 19.99 at PIAS, just a few bucks more than GL usually is there so I figure why not :P Feels great, flies nicely. Just wondering if its more or less stable than the Optos.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:11 am

They are purportedly less stable than the Optos, following the trend with their other molds.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:07 pm

I've been using a 176 Opto Pure for drives and finesse shots. I love it. I've had some luck putting with my Opto, but wanted something with more grip.

What can you guys tell me about the Zero hard and soft runs? Are they essentially KC Pro and JK Pro? Any chance the softs are flexible, or are they just tacky?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment