Only 2 Driver Molds - Pair an OLF with ?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Only 2 Driver Molds - Pair an OLF with ?

Postby keltik » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:22 pm

Don't pay too close attention to the MSt chart. It's handy for a quick reference but there are many inaccuracies. Joe's Flight chart is a better chart. and it's made by our gracious host Blake. the InBounds online flight tool is kinda neat but it's still kinda iffy on some things but overall it's been pretty close.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby PMantle » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:29 pm

Joe's hurts my head. Love InBounds. There has to be a better way to organize Joe's. It's unusable in it's present form. To me. IMHO. YMMV. That's just like, my op....

In any event, is the OLF really out of place in the Marshall chart? Just from my limited experience in throwing one, I say no. Hell, the OLS I had was hard to turn.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby JR » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:59 am

riltim wrote:I played a round yesterday and today using the river's and I wasn't a big fan. It seemed like I was getting a lot of slipping with the slanted rim.

I was digging through my disc pile and found an ESP XL and a Z Stalker, would either of those be a good river replacement to compliment the OLF? I'm getting different stability info from all the flight charts out there. I'd appreciate any feedback/tips I can get since work, a 6 month old kid, and it being dark at 5pm has me down to playing 1 day a week with zero time for field work.

Both of those are slower shorter discs and as such won't overlap with the OLF much so they make a great compliment. Both are straighter than the OLFs i've tried. I'm wondering if Frank has a mismarked OLS or otherwise more understable disc. I cannot flip my SOLFs without headwind if my wrist does not break at anything but the highest power level. And it is well used.

GL River is just a little more grippy than the Opto. On the course slipping discs are poor but the slant on the River in the summer when it is dry ain't bad so it is a good training tool in field practice because when you get it to not slip out on the field you should be fine on the course. And the River slant is among the mildest of the not almost vertical rims. So it is the easiest slanted disc to master. Even if you plan to never use a slanted disc again on the course getting a River not to slip is beneficial grip strength training. Which will help on the course with any disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:52 am

I definitely don't have a mismarked OLS. I throw QOLSs and know the difference
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby JR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:32 am

Have you compared your OLFs in PLH and dome height to other OLFs?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:08 am

yeah the 1.1 are pretty neutral. They are lower than my 1.2s but not by a lot. The 1.2s I can't flip as they are actually pretty stable. Almost all my 1.1s are flat.
Frank Delicious

Postby keltik » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:23 am

PMantle wrote:Joe's hurts my head. Love InBounds. There has to be a better way to organize Joe's. It's unusable in it's present form. To me. IMHO. YMMV. That's just like, my op....

In any event, is the OLF really out of place in the Marshall chart? Just from my limited experience in throwing one, I say no. Hell, the OLS I had was hard to turn.

Joe's is actually quite organized. The different colors indicate stability groupings. Most overstable is at the top of each range grouping and most understable is at the bottom of the grouping. then the discs in each range grouping are sub-grouped by HSS. pretty simple actually.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby PMantle » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:51 am

keltik wrote:
PMantle wrote:Joe's hurts my head. Love InBounds. There has to be a better way to organize Joe's. It's unusable in it's present form. To me. IMHO. YMMV. That's just like, my op....

Joe's is actually quite organized. The different colors indicate stability groupings. Most overstable is at the top of each range grouping and most understable is at the bottom of the grouping. then the discs in each range grouping are sub-grouped by HSS. pretty simple actually.

I get that part. I guess it's just me, but it doesn't work for me. I like seeing the projected flight, even if it may not be what I get out of the disc. I have shortcuts to:
Joes, Innova, and Discraft on my desktop though. I probably spend an hour or two on InBounds everyday :lol:
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby JR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:53 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:yeah the 1.1 are pretty neutral. They are lower than my 1.2s but not by a lot. The 1.2s I can't flip as they are actually pretty stable. Almost all my 1.1s are flat.

If your 1.1s are in new condition and fly like the most SOLFs i can think of only world class spin or throwing so low or nose down that the disc hits the ground before the fade kicks in as an explanation to how you get them to fly straight. I do get a little turn at full power from my used 1.1 and cannot rule out slight wrist roll anny at that extreme power as a cause (380'ish 10' apex IIRC). This is with a front and rear of the disc at the same height orientation. Dropping the front of the disc lower than the rear at the release should make the disc flip even more. With mine that could still not flip the disc if i powered down enough on a head high throw but i'm not sure how far the disc would fly before probably skipping from the high landing speed. 300-330' plus significant skipping if the ground is not soft or grassy? So do your discs land at a high speed and skip far? That i would understand.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Steve » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:51 am

My 1.1s don't fade much either.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:05 am

I've decided that I'm not the crazy one because I am discussing disc flight with JR who has weird experiences with all discs.
Frank Delicious

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:29 am

Frank Delicious wrote:I've decided that I'm the crazy one because I am discussing disc flight with JR who has weird experiences with all discs.

FTFY
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby JR » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:16 am

Frank Delicious wrote:I've decided that I'm not the crazy one because I am discussing disc flight with JR who has weird experiences with all discs.

Repeating a statement does not make it true and testing one thing a million times getting the same result and still expecting a different result for the next attempt is a good indication of mental problems. I've had exactly similar results as most with more discs than not. Granted some discs have flown differently than others report but that is a definite minority. If you look at this thread you are the one achieving the anomalous results because OLFs fade. Sure i'd get no fade flights from OLFs too if i threw into uphills too :-)
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby rehder » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:02 am

So I really liked the original SOLF 1.2 because they where nice and stable, and held a straight line, even when you put on the juice.

The 1.1 are nice as well, but there is some turn when you put on some power. So anyway nothing new there....

My question is, where can one find either the original Solf 1.2 or if there are any current runs, that fly like it?
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment