Help with mold# and stability

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Help with mold# and stability

Postby PMantle » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:45 am

Being new and obsessive, I've been buying discs like crack. I started with understable stuff because of things I read. Let's tackle that problem first because the wind yesterday ate me up.

I throw the Destroyer around 320ish and TL 300ish

I bought a pro destroyer and pro orc based on the numbers thinking these would be my wind candidates. I must have gotten the most understable destroyer ever made. Don't get me wrong-I love it, and it's my longest driver, but it is not an into the wind driver. The Orc is just another driver. Pretty much straight, but not a wind fighter. It doesn't beat my Archon there. So, as of Monday when a new shipment comes in, I'll have overstable(for me) as follows,

Driver: ESP Avenger(Coming)
Fairway: Ch Teebird
Utility: Z-Tracker and ESP Tracker(Coming) Great for a few LtoR woods holes
Mid: S-Sentinel and Q-Sentinel(Coming)
Putters: Wizard and Ion(Coming)

Will the Avenger cover that? Go back and study the PLH of the available Destroyers and get another?

Should I add a Predator?

OK, now molds. I guess being new, I can't quite grasp the idea of multiples of the same when you can just buy another disc :mrgreen: Below is what's in my bag right now, but I have a lot of other stuff just sitting in my truck

Pro Destroyer
Ch Archon/M Astra
Orc
Dx Wraith(it's 140 and angers me since it bombs at times then hits the ground at other time-it's on probation)
Dx Beast - might as well be a roadrunner
Z ASS(Roller)

DX Archanger 150 - extreme downwind finish right disc
Z Tracker
Ch Teebird
Star TL
X Cyclone(Not thrown since finding Teebirds and TL)
Ch Leo

S Sentinal
ESP Comet
X Stratus
Pro Dart

Wizard
Magic
Soft Magnet

In the truck:
Dx Cobra
DX Leo
Wedge
D Cyclone
D Ass

OK, unload on me.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: Help with mold# and stability

Postby keltik » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:54 am

wow you got one of everything... jokes

Destro and Wraith overlap (in theory). the 140 Wraith and the Archon/Astra overlap also the Beast. The Beast and Orc can overlap and the Orc and Wraith can overlap.

A-SS and Archangel overlap. Tracker and TB/TL can overlap depending on the Tracker.

What are you doing with your four different putter molds? Dart is a putter.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby PMantle » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:06 am

For true putting, the Magnet gets everything but into the wind where the Wizard comes out. The Dart is used like a mid. They/you/people can call it a putter all they want. It's dead straight with almost no fade, and long. I play lots of woods holes where this comes in handy. The magic is only used for long puts where I need an anhyzer line around a tree. Seems to do that better than the soft magnet. Bottom line though-I'm experimenting, and these 4 will not all stay. I carry them now for testing and just because I can. I could carry just the Dart/Mag or Dart/Wiz and be fine.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:08 pm

I understand what you mean about the Dart. The Pure is similar but the Dart has more glide. what have you decided with your drivers?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby PMantle » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Not decided anything. I was hoping you regs would tell me what to do. :D

I really don't mind carrying them. If the new Avenger works into the wind, I'll be fine with it, Destroyer and Archon. Archangel for hard downwind drives and A-ss for rollers. A shame I can't predict that 140 Wraith. Pretty sure some of my workout throws with it have been my longest with any disc, but my bad throws with it in a round have been pretty terrible. May be just a matter of how much downwind and what direction I need it to be from. Oh heck, I did not even mention the X Wildcat. It's a strange critter. Seems to love downhill drives and high hyzers over/around trees. It stays for now too. It may not be as fast as others, but something about its rim makes me throw it cleaner.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:52 am

At your power even 130 Wraiths fade too much for best distance. With your power the least fading discs should go farthest and pairing it with good glide and speed gives the best chance of going far. Sidewinder? Light Vulcan fades harder but less than the Wraith being 3 speed ratings faster than the Sidewinder. For wind Beast. I think it might be too hard fading for ultimate D unless s-curved. The HSS of the Beast trumps all of those discs thus it is a great complement when flipping is undesirable.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:40 am

JR wrote:At your power even 130 Wraiths fade too much for best distance.

Maybe I was not clear. The 140 Wraith is a problem because of turn over, not fade. It is right up there with my archangel as my least stable disc. My problems with it are many, but fade is not one of them. It hits the ground right as fast as anything I've ever thrown unless the conditions are perfect. It may be defective for all I know. I bought it just to mess around with because I was so surprised to see it at our local Academy. They don't carry much under about 165 for the most part. It's pink, so I will keep it for the wife if she ever decides to come play with us. :lol:
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:04 am

the ESP Avengers that I have are pretty stable to OS (as I remember anyway). the regular Avenger mold is like a bad girlfriend. when it performs it is the love of your life. when it is off it makes you want to kill someone. the X version is the most forgiving and the longest but it can still be a hateful bitch. I switched to the Eagle-X and haven't really looked back except those times when no one is looking and you look at the old pictures you have stashed away and kinda remember things being good. I have a stack of about 20 Avengers in the house and I always wonder what they would do for me now...

the ESP should be good into the wind. the Pred would overlap with this one. The Pred and Avenger are kinda like DC's version of the TB and EX respectively but both are faster and more OS than the Innova discs. I may have to bag my choice Avengers again and see if I've been missing anything.

Okay I'll give you a bag suggestion:

Destro
Avenger/SS (both molds)
Tracker
Leopard

Sentinel
Comet
Dart

Magnet
ION

The ION will kinda throw your putter/Dart game off a bit. It is an impressive disc and will make you rethink some things. but for me it didn't really have staying power. It could just be my awful inconsistencies.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby PMantle » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:56 am

keltik wrote:Okay I'll give you a bag suggestion:

Destro
Avenger/SS (both molds)
Tracker
Leopard

Sentinel
Comet
Dart

Magnet
ION

I know that would work, and if I carry my small bag, I'll do that. OTOH, since I have the room for them, the Teebird and TL are staying along with the Tracker. For me, they don't really overlap. I play two long holes where a straight long second shot is a must, and those three stack up well in order of stability. The Tracker is too overstable for me as a fairway driver unless there is a lot of wind. Teebird/TL are what I use mostly depending on wind. Also, on two doglegs, that Tracker bends too much and ends up in the woods on the left after making a beautiful turn around the corner. The Teebird/TL(depending on wind) makes that turn, but then stays in the fairway or parks. I had never birdied that hole until I got a Teebird, and now I birdie it more than any other hole.

Thanks for the help. :thumbup:

Avenger/ion should be delivered any day. I hope we have some wind for testing.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:00 pm

Now the Leopard and the TL can overlap greatly. If you like the TL a lot stay with that. You can find max weight champ TB's that are quite OS. the plus mold TB is supposed to be the most OS Champ TB mold. I don't throw the TB or TL anymore so take it for what it's worth.

Good luck.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby PMantle » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:23 pm

keltik wrote:Now the Leopard and the TL can overlap greatly. If you like the TL a lot stay with that. You can find max weight champ TB's that are quite OS. the plus mold TB is supposed to be the most OS Champ TB mold. I don't throw the TB or TL anymore so take it for what it's worth.

Good luck.

Yeah, I kinda figured that. I bought the Leo because a Dx Leo was one of my favorite discs in my first month of throwing. It's basically unusable now. Wanted to get it in Ch and see what happened. It is much more stable, but still goes right. I need it off the tee on one L to R woods hole. Everything else either hits the ground too soon, or I can't make it make that turn.

The TL is harder to turn over, longer and straighter for me. It's damn near a driver. In fact, I grabbed it thinking it was something else and threw it off the tee on a longish open hole. I did not realize what I had done until I picked it up :lol:

I could play with the TL as my main driver with no problem at all.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:50 pm

no such thing as an unusable leopard.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby PMantle » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:59 pm

Another disc for my wife or guest's bag :D
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:04 pm

you may want to try the blizzard stuff for the wife. Mine likes the Blizz destro she inherited.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby PMantle » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:08 pm

She's going to have to show more interest to get her own discs. I have three discs at 155 or under. That Leo is 152 I think.

Speaking of, how does one decide what Blizzard to try? A guy I know throws a Boss a mile, but he has a bit more power than I have. Since I like the Pro Destro, should I try that in Blizzard?
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion