type of strength benefit from pilates?

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

type of strength benefit from pilates?

Postby bents » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:25 pm

I'm naturally a slow-twitch muscle person, and pretty skinny. I don't like going to the gym or doing dumbbell routines. What I do enjoy is going to pilates classes, and not just because of the beautiful women. (Pilates is a like slower, strength oriented yoga, minus the metaphysics.) It involves a lot of holding awkward poses and slow precise movements, which requires strength, but not the kind of strength disc golf uses, which is fast and then over.

It's definitely great for balance and flexibility and an overall sense of feeling coordinated. But does slow movement strength training make you any better at fast motions like disc golf?

I don't know a lot about the biology of exercise benefits. Should I switch back to dumbbells (which I probably won't actually do because I hate it), or am I getting disc golf strength from Pilates?
Champion Teebird, Star TL, Buzzz, Wizard, Aviar
bents
Noob

Favorite Disc: champion teebird

Re: type of strength benefit from pilates?

Postby JR » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:52 am

Welcome. I'm no expert but maintaining balance and getting more muscle power will help in keeping the wrist being bent down at the time that the disc leaves the hand minimizing the aerial drag on the disc maximizing the distance. Wrist rolls, hip tilts and planting the foot off the mark are reduced too increasing consistency and with practice probably a little accuracy too. Have you tried cable exercises with a cable that has handles in both ends? Attaching one end to a door handle you can pull the cable so mimic the arm movement of a throw with strengthening and conversion of the fast muscle cells into the even faster twitch cells. I saw a documentary that said that humans do not have slow cells at all. Pilates hits the core hard and that is the second largest power source in a throw as long as you utilize it in your form by twisting the torso to the right of neutral in the throw for a right handed backhand throw. That twisting motion is amplified by the arm acting as a lever. The faster the twist the higher the power generation through added arm thus disc speed is.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury