Driver help for newb

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Driver help for newb

Postby PMantle » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:36 pm

Here's where I am now:

Strong head wind -ESP Avenger(Almost never use)
Not so strong head wind - _________
A little head wind -X Wildcat or Pro Orc
No wind -Ch Archon
Light downwind - Dx Beast(when I flip it right, it goes)
Strong downwind - Dx Archangel 150

Still trying to figure out the Pro Destroyer. Pretty sure I ruined it taking off the flash. It's long, but only into a very very light wind. Anything more than that, and I need a lot of room right. Anything less than that and my other stuff is longer. Not sure if to try another or try a Pro Wraith for the not so strong wind slot.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JR » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:37 pm

I'd try pro Beast first because it is way more overstable than the DX. Meaning straight. DX is ok for only a few throws. If even that it breaks in super quickly. Pro Destroyer changes a lot fairly quickly with wear. Removing the flash will still make it fade hard in the end and longer just flippier.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:25 am

JR wrote:I'd try pro Beast first because it is way more overstable than the DX. Meaning straight. DX is ok for only a few throws. If even that it breaks in super quickly. Pro Destroyer changes a lot fairly quickly with wear. Removing the flash will still make it fade hard in the end and longer just flippier.

You're right about that. If you recall, I had a pro beast, and the dang thing was crazy overstable for me. Decided to use it as my take a chance over water driver, and the water claimed it. That bayou has now claimed: Pro Beast, Pro Valk, SOLS, and a Wizard. I think the hole is telling me, "Go AROUND".
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:52 am

It sucks to have holes that are too long to fly over safely. Especially if it is mandatory . Conspiracy of disc manufacturers i say :-) The only cure is to improve distance but then there are plain ole dangerous holes too. Not necessarily too long. Just hard and penalizing with hazards in the landing areas. Getting good cannot help each time everyone messes up. Unfair holes are the worst you might have a great throw that still is penalized.

If the Pro Beast fades out the Destroyer will do it earlier and be as short or shorter i think the latter at your power.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:03 am

This hole is fair. Wish I had a pic. There are two paths to the basket. Tee pad aims you directly over a bayou/stream/creek through a tunnel of trees. Distance is not the issue, even with my noob arm. Throwing the right path and missing the trees on either side is the issue. I made the mistake of making it the very first time I tried it.

You can throw left of the left tree line into an open field. You just have to throw a really hard turn over backhand to curl around the trees to the basket, or throw forehand, which I cannot do reliably.

I have no business trying the water shot, but it's fun to try, and Walmart has Pro at about $10 and Dx under $7.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Previous

Return to Equipment