Disc Golf Prodigy

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Prodigy

Postby keltik » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:44 pm

One of those pics from nick looks like a Dominator...
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JHern » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:17 pm

nick344 wrote:I threw the D4 &d1 today not impressed. D4 plastic was slick and d1 plastic does not seem durable. I was getting more distance out of my wraith. It might do better for a more powerful thrower.

I have a D1 and D4 on the way...more curious to see the plastic and mold shape than anything else...I'll probably just turn them around and sell them.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby dstearns5 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:30 am

Spoiler alert: The mold shape is round, like a circle.
dstearns5
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: CE TL

Postby juju » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:33 am

dstearns5 wrote:Spoiler alert: The mold shape is round, like a circle.

juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby JHern » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:40 pm

dstearns5 wrote:Spoiler alert: The mold shape is round, like a circle.

Thanks, I'll cancel the order, now that I know it's just a stupid circle.

Anyways, I just want to see what all the hype is about. You see, I suspect that Prodigy plastic will not come anywhere close to what Legacy has done (i.e., pearly CE, grippy Star, tacky DX...but even better than anything Innova ever produced), and that the migration of so many pros to Prodigy has more to do with the base salaries they can afford to pay at the outset than with the quality of the plastic and molds.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby keltik » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:20 pm

can anyone say with certainty if Prodigy has their own molding machines or if someone else is doing the molding for them?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby NOHalffastpull » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:53 pm

keltik wrote:can anyone say with certainty if Prodigy has their own molding machines or if someone else is doing the molding for them?

aye, someone can
NOHalffastpull
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: still searching ....

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:35 pm

I've thrown three D4s and a D1 and the plastic is super durable. My buddy threw a huge downhill second throw cubby ace spike today(32 degrees) that hit no chains and didn't leave a mark on his D1, very cool.

My D4's flight plate is very flexible and seems fairly thin. These discs are grippy. My green D4 is clearer plastic but his D1 and D4 are translucent yellow. He also has an opaque orange plastic D4 (maybe D1) not currently in production yet that seems a touch more stable, 400 series IIRC.

I'm dropping my esp nukes for long turnover max D shots. The D4 just turns and holds that turnover for a second and a half longer before it begins to fade forward without losing much altitude. The best part for me is the rim isn't as wide as my nukes and bosses so I'm having more control which so far means less turn and burns and nose up hyzer outs and with more glide so I'm getting the same distance. Yesterday during my field work my best esp nuke went 450'. I was returning my star bosses 400' back into that same headwind. Anyway right behind that high anny s-curve esp nuke 450' direct tailwind I had a good but not great long drawn out turnover D4 pull that went 465'. Not as nose sensitive as my esp nukes and bosses, holds altitiude with its lateral movement on the turn, and grippy durable (I hope) plastic, BOOM!

I'll take your used ones, PM me so my Pro Master competition don't get these and I lose my D advantage over their squirelly katanas.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby what'shisname » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:13 am

Marshall Street just put a few D1's and 4's up.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby gretagun » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:35 pm

what'shisname wrote:Marshall Street just put a few D1's and 4's up.

I saw that this morning, and they had several D1 and D4s listed as weighing 176 g. Are those even legal, or do these drivers have a wider diameter?
Wizard>Roc>Leopard>Teebird>Orc>Firebird
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Postby keltik » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:48 pm

nope not legal. Me and Chuck K just hashed that out over at the funny farm.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby turso » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:46 pm

The max legal for the D1-4 is 174.X since they're unconventionally specced at 21cm sharp diameter.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby Hoey » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:57 pm

All I'm seeing today is people questioning the overweight discs from Prodigy.

Is it just me, or DOES EVERY OTHER COMPANY ALSO DO THIS?

I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby allsport1313 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:38 pm

Just took my new D1 and D4 (both 174g) out to the football field for a while. Thoughts from an average 350ft thrower:

Thought the D1 flied a lot like a Boss. I've seen others say Destroyer but mine was more overstable than any Destroyer I've ever thrown. Was throwing it for only about 320, I definitely don't have the arm for it.

The D4 was much more suitable for me. It had a moderate amount of high speed turn and quite a bit of fade so I'll say it's along the lines of a Katana or Archon. I had some pretty long throws with it, some nearing 400.

The plastic was really awesome. Appears to be very durable like a champion or Z-line, but has a tacky feel that was really easy to grip.

I doubt I'll be bagging either of these. With all the pros saying, "There are no discs to compare these to, they just go SO FAR!", they didn't live up to the hype for me. Realistically, they are normal discs no different than any other brands I've tried in terms of flight or glide or anything, but loved the plastic. Now, to sell these.

.02 YMMV
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby JHern » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:54 pm

allsport1313 wrote:...Realistically, they are normal discs no different than any other brands I've tried in terms of flight or glide or anything, but loved the plastic...

Agree 100%, I got my D1 today and if I didn't know better (say if I were blind-folded) I'd say it was Opto plastic or Westside's VIP. No difference, just another nice sticky-when-new TPU plastic, nice but not revolutionary. The rim feels like a slightly wider-winged Destroyer, nothing revolutionary here, either, despite the sales gimmick about "easy release" etc..

allsport1313 wrote:With all the pros saying, "There are no discs to compare these to, they just go SO FAR!", they didn't live up to the hype for me...

Prodigy makes a big deal about all these top pros endorsing their discs, as if that means anything...the reality is that they paid $10K+ to each pro for that opinion.

I'm glad there is a company that is paying their pros better, especially the ladies, but the hype was too much to justify the results they've produced thus far. Anyways, all these players will do well regardless of whose plastic they are hucking, I doubt Will's spike hyzers will change, Sarah Hokom's forehand will still be just as deadly, Phil is still going to crush and chase Climo, GG will continue to throw super far (but no D records with Prodigy plastic), etc..
Japan bag...
JHern

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion