Tracking your progress?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Tracking your progress?

Postby PMantle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:51 pm

I play this for fun, but as with golf, I have more fun when I play well. I have no idea what I should expect as far as progress. I started keeping scores within a couple weeks of buying my first discs.

August 22, 2012 - 87

Stayed in the 80s until September 30, and shot 72. Obviously, form was changing, and distance increasing.

In the 70's until October 17 with a 68.

Today(1-31-12), shot my personal best of 62. Felt easy. No lucky breaks. Only one birdie(depending who you ask).

Is that about right? I'm on the verge of reaching a couple more holes that will potentially give me birdies, but 60 is looking like a massive brick wall right now.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Tracking your progress?

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:23 pm

How's your putt from 20' and in? Can you run the longer putts without worry of the comeback? My scoring got a lot better when I starting getting the close ones. :arrow: don't know why I like the arrow, I just do.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby JHern » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:33 pm

PMantle wrote:...August 22, 2012 - 87...Today(1-31-12), shot my personal best of 62...

That's great progress, just keep it up! If you start to play tourneys, you should think a bit more about strategy. In AM2 the only thing that matters is laying up for the easy par, and don't get too greedy, don't force yourself into long putts, don't be a hero if you shank a drive deep into shule, etc.. If you're going for a great score, you'll have to really do your best to give yourself birdie putts on the holes that are easiest to birdie, really focus on those, yet still lay up on the trouble holes. But during practice rounds, be sure to play more aggressive than you would otherwise do in a tourney, since that's the only way you'll continue to improve. Your best rounds will inevitably be the ones where you're hitting all your putts.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby PMantle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:39 pm

7ontheline wrote:How's your putt from 20' and in? Can you run the longer putts without worry of the comeback? My scoring got a lot better when I starting getting the close ones. :arrow: don't know why I like the arrow, I just do.

My putting. Hmmm. I am terrible on long putts. I mean really bad.
From more reasonable distances, I'm as good as anyone I play with or better. Sorry I don't know the distances, but I've never bothered to figure that out.

I have slowly learned not to leave a long comeback, especially if that comeback is downwind. Downwind putting is my least favorite part of disc golf.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby PMantle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:41 pm

JHern wrote:
PMantle wrote:...August 22, 2012 - 87...Today(1-31-12), shot my personal best of 62...

That's great progress, just keep it up! If you start to play tourneys, you should think a bit more about strategy. In AM2 the only thing that matters is laying up for the easy par, and don't get too greedy, don't force yourself into long putts, don't be a hero if you shank a drive deep into shule, etc.. If you're going for a great score, you'll have to really do your best to give yourself birdie putts on the holes that are easiest to birdie, really focus on those, yet still lay up on the trouble holes. But during practice rounds, be sure to play more aggressive than you would otherwise do in a tourney, since that's the only way you'll continue to improve. Your best rounds will inevitably be the ones where you're hitting all your putts.

Thanks. Yeah, pretty much do as you say.

On the course I play, my score really has to do with how many trees I hit more than just about anything else. My one 5 today was on a really short hole. Two nailed trees later, and I'm not in position to putt yet.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:05 pm

Tracking skills rather than scores predicts future improvement better.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:06 pm

JR wrote:Tracking skills rather than scores predicts future improvement better.

I haven't found one of those cards yet.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby discmonkey42 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:21 pm

PMantle wrote:

It's more a matter of inputs vs. outputs. Score is an output. You can't manage an output. You can only manage the things that get you that output. Working on skills and doing a lot of intentional field work and putting practice is what helps you break those barriers. These things are the inputs that create a better score.

In other words. If you don't play any rounds for a while but go putt every day, when you go back out and play a round, your score should be lower. You've improved the input that gets you the output you are looking for.

Same with not hitting trees. Go to a field and work on accuracy. You get a ton more throws in at one time and can make a lot more improvement on the input (throwing where you are aiming). Do that a while and then back on the course your scores go down.

Even just 10-15 minutes every day putting and 10-15 minutes in the field will drastically improve your scores more than playing rounds every day ever could.... And a lot faster.

Just going to the course and focusing on score will not lower your score. There's only so many opportunities to practice things during a round. Muscle memory requires more than this.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby PMantle » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:17 am

I do lots of field stuff, but mostly disagree with your post. In any event, I don't have a basket yet. Will try to get one soon. You can not discount playing as practice. There's just too much evidence against in disc golf and golf.

Also, when I play alone, I play two discs. One as usual, and another trying to play outside my box. This has helped me overcome what was before a brick wall.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby discmonkey42 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:44 am

What works for one doesn't always work for another. You asked how to break a plateau. I shared what's worked, almost invariably, for others. You've made some big initial improvement, which is awesome. Best of luck!
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby PMantle » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:05 am

discmonkey42 wrote:What works for one doesn't always work for another. You asked how to break a plateau. I shared what's worked, almost invariably, for others. You've made some big initial improvement, which is awesome. Best of luck!

Cool, thanks. :cheers:
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:33 pm

PMantle wrote:

It is a good exercise to build such a card for yourself so that you ensure that you have thought of what counts in a throw and train them to be good. When you train for the things and track the results you can identify what is the weakest link in your technique and hone that until it works=progress. As a thrower. In the long run added skill should translate to better scores more often than hoping to get lucky and/or a hot streak.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby PMantle » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:40 pm

PMantle wrote:Today(1-31-12), shot my personal best of 62. Felt easy. No lucky breaks. Only one birdie(depending who you ask).

Personal best shattered today. 54 with six 2s. Finished 2/3/2/2/2.

Backyard basket is already paying off.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:10 am

Drive for show putt for dough as usual. Congratulations!
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby PMantle » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:17 am

Thanks. While putting was a huge key, I was lucky enough to miss the early trees on all, that's right, all the woods holes. That's huge. Another recent development is reaching some of the over 300' holes. Loving my Blizz Destro. Somewhat sad that I may be leaving the disc buying phase.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to General Discussion