3 Months in, time for a critique

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 3 Months in, time for a critique

Postby bsnone1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:57 pm

JR wrote: By the way IIRC my index finger middle section is 16 mm long grr. And i toss 25 mm drivers without much trouble.

So what do you do here? How do you orient the disc in your hand?
bsnone1
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Postby JR » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:35 pm

I grip the same and i measured the section and it is 17 mm from the outermost joint line to the outermost of the two perpendicular lines of the middle joint. That is the the part that counts more gripping wise because when you curl the finger the innermost line in the middle joint gets tucked in by the flesh in the inner and middle part of the index finger. I imagine people have different shapes of the fingers so those two lines in my middle joint might be different or non existing in other people.

The only difference is that even with the rear of the discs in the thumb joint and the front in between the middle and ring fingers the area of the inner section of the index finger that remains on top of the flight plate is smaller with a Boss vs a Stalker which were the first two discs i had available to grip. The beauty of the Wiggins grip is that the small size of the index finger does not come in the way of orienting even the widest winged discs heavily nose down in the grip. Because the index finger is not in the way of the wing of the disc so you can get the front way more down than with a power grip.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby bsnone1 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:18 pm

So again, thanks for all of the feedback. The grip changes have been really fantastic. I hit the field again for the roughly 40 minutes of daylight I have left after work and saw power jumps for the third straight day. I'm probably throwing 15-20% further than I was even a week ago. One of my last throws was with a DX Eagle that I measured out to 340 ft - my furthest throw with this disk by 70ft! 300 + feet with the Tbird and valk was much more common too.

I don't mean to continue to bog down this tread, I'm not entirely sure where the appropriate section would be for just daily sort of talk that I've continued to put up here for the past several days.
bsnone1
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:12 pm

Kick ass! 340' Eagle means enough power to be able to throw any line with speed 10 discs like the Beast and i predict a lot more D from that :-) Perhaps even a little more D from some light blizzard faster discs. Zero G Quantum might be nice.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby bsnone1 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:45 pm

Hard to reproduce the 340 with the Eagle - I can safely say that was the best throw I've ever had, it just felt awesome and it flew FOREVER. What I was able to do today was get out to 300 ft with a millennium Orion LS with fairly little effort, consistently. One thing I noticed was I wasn't getting the "whooshing" sound that my best shots in the field would have on the course (I did get it on the last hole, a 345 ft shot that I dropped about 20 ft short with the orion) Transitioning from the field to the course has proven to be difficult as I can't toss 15-20 discs in a row and make quick adjustments. The Orion feels great in my hand and has a generally better flight than the Valkyrie does. Again, can't wait to continue to work out in the field and create something repeatable that I can take out to the course.
bsnone1
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:14 am

I prefer the OLS over the Valk but it breaks in flippy fast in Millenniunm plastic. You described why field practice is necessary for the fastest possible development as a player -you need routine to be able to rip as hard on the course with obstacles as you do on a wide open field with no goal. That is why it is good to throw with a goal in field practice too or a goal to aim for and form details to aim for too for solidifying the form changes into a routine.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Video Critique