Winter disc golf at his best in +20in of snow!

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Winter disc golf at his best in +20in of snow!

Postby philrider7 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:27 pm

This is the teaser for an upcoming small movie about a bunch of die hard disc golfer braving the snowstorm to play in plus 20 in of snow (mind you its some cardio exercise like you never did before!)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAAhsUMDyx8[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAAhsUMDyx8

(Please help me get this on the forum it seems I cant get it to work!)

Sorry it's in french, but the action speak for itself!

Credit for the video to Renaud Bertrand

Here is the course we played at: https://www.facebook.com/albatrozdiscgolf
philrider7
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Winter disc golf at his best in +20in of snow!

Postby inthedrift » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:56 pm

Nice teaser, looks like the winter dg I play here in AK. I will definitely check out the movie.

Our playing conditions recently changed dramatically...the temps got well above freezing then dropped again. All the pads are icy and your discs skip like crazy where the snow has been packed down (as in near all the baskets) - but I'll be at glow league tomorrow night. :)
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby JR » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:34 pm

I tried dropping the s from the https above your usage of the youtube button seemed correct. This site is picky about posting video links and sometimes it just does not want to work.

We have a winter national league plus local leagues in Finland but shovels are so rarely seen that i've only once seen the results of shoveling on the tees never in person. And never on the course. Trucks with snow plows? Tee hee that does not seem very manly here considering we have female players that walk in the snow too :-) One national winter tour event had 8 women playing. My town has had 30" of snow in the last two winters and before the warm spell and the rains we were at 20" in many places and i live in the south of Finland. South of Canada.

Our winter league is played on a course that goes around a former ski jumping hill so we are going up and down the hills in the snow. I agree that it is good exercise :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Varsi » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:20 am

At Juankoski we had nice fairways tamped with a track machine and tees got somewhat shoveled before the competition as well. Eastern Finland had only about 30cm (~1 foot) of light snow so easy enough to move around.

I'm glad I don't have to go playing right now. It's quite wet out there.
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Postby UP Mountain Man » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:05 am

Very nice! I'm looking forward to viewing the finished production.

We ran into 14 inches of fresh powder the other day at Big Eau Pleinne park in WI.
We added 2 ft extensions to our 3 ft ribbons, and left no soldiers behind.

However, with shoveling 3 sets of tee pads on each hole, our round took almost 5 hours. :o

If anyone is interested in snow disc golf pictures, I posted quite a few in this thread, including a snow day at Highbridge Hills. My pics start on page 28.

http://discgolfer.ning.com/forum/topics ... 7#comments
UP Mountain Man
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby JR » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:56 am

Jealous but it is no wonder that we get no machine help in maintenance because of the rough terrain.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Jaysus » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:15 pm

philrider7 wrote:This is the teaser for an upcoming small movie about a bunch of die hard disc golfer braving the snowstorm to play in plus 20 in of snow (mind you its some cardio exercise like you never did before!)

I played in about that much snow once... felt like I played 14 rounds after it was over - lol

Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Varsi » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:23 pm

Had to make a winter video as well. This is the amount of snow in eastern Finland at the moment. Hasn't been snowing much this winter. Yet...
Was kinda hoping to have similar conditions as the OP had in his video :)

We had bit a special rule this time. We were allowed only 3 discs and those had to be a putter, mid-range and a driver. They also had to be used in order from driver to putter no matter how you do. For example since I failed to get a par on the first hole I had to start with a mid-range at the next one.
Also. I don't need comments on my form here. That sort of stuff is for the summer.
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:19 pm

Believe or not but the name of the town that course is in translates as theft :-D Varsi is that the course in the park of Esa Pakarinen? I've driven through Varkaus a couple of times with my brother playing courses along the way but with the lack of directions at frisbeegolfradat.fi has not helped. Where is hole 1? Do you know of maps of the course?
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Varsi » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:29 pm

JR wrote:Believe or not but the name of the town that course is in translates as theft :-D Varsi is that the course in the park of Esa Pakarinen? I've driven through Varkaus a couple of times with my brother playing courses along the way but with the lack of directions at frisbeegolfradat.fi has not helped. Where is hole 1? Do you know of maps of the course?

3 of the holes are in park of Esa Pakarinen. 6 first holes are at the other side of the road. Set GPS to Lemmensillantie 1 (Google streetview of the first tee) and you'll arrive to a parking lot close to the hole 1. There's also a map near hole 1 I think, tees don't tho.
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks maybe i'll get to play in there some day.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to General Discussion