Discs for rollers

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Discs for rollers

Postby PMantle » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:51 am

I play two holes where a roller off the tee is about as good as I can do right now.

First one. The hole is slightly downhill and slopes left to right. Prevailing wind is also left to right. Since starting to use rollers, I've always just grabbed my A-SS and thrown it backhand. I need it to finish right, but what ends up happening is, the finish is 90 degrees right and into the wood line that forms the right edge of the hole. I'd post a pic, but whoever psted them on discasaurus messed up on that one hole.

So, can I force a less understable disc to roll and not finish so hard right? Maybe try forehand and let the left to right slope diminish the tendency of those to go left? Straight would be really great.

The other one must finish right. Left of center is dead. I have that down with the A-SS, but was just wondering if I could try something else to get more roll before the hard right finish.

Thanks for the help.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: Discs for rollers

Postby JHern » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:15 am

Basically just either:
1) Throw something slightly less under-stable.
2) Throw with a touch more hyzer so that it comes down tilted slightly more left, and takes a little longer to stand up completely.
3) Throw your shot a little lower (don't aim as high), which will cause it to come down on the ground oriented more left than right.

2-3 are the best way since you'll rarely have discs that are in the perfect sweet spot, and you'll always have to make adjustments.

Not all discs are good roller discs for every player, under-stability is not the only criteria for one that behaves well on the ground for you. Rollers favor the spin-dominant thrower. I used to play with a guy who had so much spin that the disc would actually speed up when it hit the ground, and his discs would literally climb up trees instead of bouncing off.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby PMantle » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:18 am

JHern wrote:2) Throw with a touch more hyzer so that it comes down tilted slightly more left, and takes a little longer to stand up completely.

I'm confused here. I have been throwing with severe anhyser. Do you mean less anhyser?
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JHern » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:40 am

PMantle wrote:
JHern wrote:2) Throw with a touch more hyzer so that it comes down tilted slightly more left, and takes a little longer to stand up completely.

I'm confused here. I have been throwing with severe anhyser. Do you mean less anhyser?

Yes, more hyzer = less anhyzer. Conversely, more anhyzer = less hyzer.

A rolling disc experiences a ground torque, in addition to an aerodynamic torque. The ground torque arises from the tilt of the disc, and if the disc weren't spinning this tilting would cause it to keel over. Ground torques are roll moments, rather than pitching moments, so they cause the disc to turn to left or right, while the aerodynamical torques cause the disc to stand up or curl (thus changing the ground torques). A disc tilted over to the left tends to turn left, and a disc tilted over to the right tends to turn right. A disc goes perfectly straight standing at the angle where the center of mass is directly over the edge that touches the ground, which isn't 90˚ but somewhat less owing to the weight of the flight plate. That's your target angle.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Return to Equipment