The Newest Greatest thing you just figured out

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Newest Greatest thing you just figured out

Postby bents » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:24 pm

JR wrote:There is more chance of skin wear from a slipped disc than a ripping one. Gripping tighter usually means that the fingers pop off faster meaning less friction time at least perhaps less strength of friction too i dunno about the latter. The skin will toughen over time as long as you don't get blisters and the skin will peel off. In the mean time you should limit the amounts of throws and allow the skin to grow back and probably use sports tape

Throwing lower is a hurdle that needs many components of form to right like shifting the weight forward. Video is a great tool because often times people throw differently to what they think they are doing.

I definitely had a big mix of slipped discs and ripped discs today. I think it depended on how hard I remembered to pinch it. I could tell that the ones I pinched harder turned over less and faded later which was cool. But I guess I didn't know which was causing the blister. But yeah I won't be playing for a few days so I'll be fine. Thanks for the help!
Champion Teebird, Star TL, Buzzz, Wizard, Aviar
bents
Noob

Favorite Disc: champion teebird

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:59 am

bents wrote: But I guess I didn't know which was causing the blister. But yeah I won't be playing for a few days so I'll be fine.

Tape the blister area with a few layers of paper tape and play on.

I have been taping for years. It prevents the next blister or callus from forming.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby bents » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:40 am

Mark Ellis wrote:Tape the blister area with a few layers of paper tape and play on.

If only I didn't have a ton of work to catch up on before Monday. I timed it so that I'd be sore for a few days from the field work plus weight lifting so that I'm not too tempted to play. It worked! I'm so sore that my muscle memory would be garbage. :-)
bents
Noob

Postby PMantle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:06 am

I finally learned how to throw one of my drivers really well. Was so excited, that I made an extra throw on a hole where that disc is not the right call. Watched it sale over the trees right and land softly in the bayou. Not one I can buy locally either. :oops:
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JR » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:08 pm

Err i think congratulations are on order then for added distance :-) Everybody needs to pay their dues i guess.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm having better luck putting on a slight hyzer. My putt is hitting more chains and my confidence is growing now that my blow byes aren't going as far.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:52 pm

HOLY SHIT, JR almost has 10,000 posts :!:
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby PMantle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:56 pm

7ontheline wrote:HOLY SHIT, JR almost has 10,000 posts :!:

Imagine the number of words!
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JHern » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:17 am

Golf-like games have a certain dynamic:

->The worse you shoot, the more throws you make, the more practice you get, the more you improve.

->On the flip side, the better you shoot, the fewer throws you make, the less practice you get, you don't improve as much.

So if all you did was play rounds, and nothing else, then you'd fall into an equilibrium between these two self-correcting dynamic responses, but your game will be in a rut and it stagnates or improves at an unacceptably slow rate.

The only way to move the bar higher and break out of this rut is to practice throwing and putting outside of playing rounds, so that you get a lot of practice even if you play well during rounds. The more you practice basic shots on their own (not in a round), the more you break out of this cycle and improve your game.

Practice!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby bents » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:57 am

JHern, if I'm playing solo, and I throw a good throw, I like to repeat it with a copy of the same disc for practice. This way I get the best of both worlds. Also, you can avoid the downsides of good throws that you're describing by playing for a certain amount of time, or until you're tired, instead of stopping after 18 holes.

That said, I think I learn way more from field practice than from rounds. In the field I can do the same thing 20 times in a row if needed, until it's consistent.
bents
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:29 pm

While dgdave has the most posts i'm pretty certain i have written more characters than anyone here.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby inthedrift » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:05 pm

JR wrote:While dgdave has the most posts i'm pretty certain i have written more characters than anyone here.

without a doubt JR
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:26 pm

inthedrift wrote:
JR wrote:While dgdave has the most posts i'm pretty certain i have written more characters than anyone here.

without a doubt JR

:wave:

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Star Shark » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:33 am

Yeah, JR is catching up with Stancil Johnson now...
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Mark Ellis » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:12 am

JHern wrote:Golf-like games have a certain dynamic:

->The worse you shoot, the more throws you make, the more practice you get, the more you improve.

->On the flip side, the better you shoot, the fewer throws you make, the less practice you get, you don't improve as much.

So if all you did was play rounds, and nothing else, then you'd fall into an equilibrium between these two self-correcting dynamic responses, but your game will be in a rut and it stagnates or improves at an unacceptably slow rate.

The only way to move the bar higher and break out of this rut is to practice throwing and putting outside of playing rounds, so that you get a lot of practice even if you play well during rounds. The more you practice basic shots on their own (not in a round), the more you break out of this cycle and improve your game.

Practice!

Interesting stuff here. I have never heard it described this way. Like most broad statements it has some limitations, perhaps.

I too am a big fan of practice. In my 20th year in the game, during which I have always practiced more (much more?, much much more?) than most of my peers, I still practice. While I see the benefits of practice I know that some very fine players don't practice at all and yet make improvements.

Most players play the game for fun. Since playing is more fun than practice some don't practice. But skill acquisition can happen during rounds, especially if the there are lots and lots of rounds being played. I remember asking one of my early teachers what he did to get so good. He told me he was unemployed for a time and played every day all day.

The more physically talented the player the more he can get away without practicing. Will a gifted player who doesn't practice ever be as good as if he had practiced? I would say "no" but of course we will never know for sure.

All practice is not equal. One thing that most forms of practice lack that a round does not is PERFORMANCE UNDER PRESSURE. Performance under pressure may be the most valuable of all the skills. But unless practice happens under pressure, practice does little to improve this skill. For this reason I like to practice with others and when I can lure others to join me I create practice games. Games have 2 advantages: they make practice more fun and make practice train the skill of performance under pressure.

So if you compare two players of relatively equal current skills who spend about the same amount of time with their frisbeee addiction, one who only plays rounds and one who plays AND practices, who will improve faster? The one who also practices will get in lots more throws, for sure. So his base potential should rise faster but unless that translates into better scores in actual competition it really doesn't matter.

For players without fabulous physical talents practice can elevate their games to places otherwise unobtainable. When I lost my backhand game to a bum knee as an Am 2 (Intermediate in today's terms) it never occurred to me I might rise to become a cashing Pro as a forehand dominant player. I thought forehand was a temporary diversion until my knee recovered. My early experience taught me that forehands into the wind were impossible. A thousand hours of practice later I know they are merely very difficult. :D
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion