Dave's Drives (new killer vids 2/2)

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Dave's Drives (This is how I roll)

Postby dgdave » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:39 pm

I've been actually getting to play a fair bit lately and I'm really playing well. Here'sa couple pics my wife took . Hopefully have a new video soon. Haven't really changed my throw, just some grip stuff.

"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Re: Dave's Drives (This is how I roll)

Postby dgdave » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:40 pm

That throw was also going to be an ace if it had sent hit a tree 300ft away.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Re: Dave's Drives (new killer pics)

Postby JR » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:43 pm

The lower picture has the left leg too far left and back for a Feldy kick. If it was a left leg on the ground shot at the rip the pushing direction of the left leg was misdirected to the left and up. Instead of back to front and optionally pivoting to the right.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby dgdave » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:53 am

Probably :?
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby dgdave » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:05 pm

Here's a 430-450 foot drive with a 1st run Cannon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKupei1 ... ata_player
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby dgdave » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:19 pm

-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Re: Dave's Drives (new killer vids 2/2)

Postby keltik » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:24 pm

both of those link to the same video.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby dgdave » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:21 pm

-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby JR » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:24 am

Pre curling of the wrist, Rampage shot had the shoulders lined up with the hips the Cannon throw fired the shoulders too, left leg airborne without a Feldy kick some rounding but not the worst kind at all. The elbow could possibly be a little more forward before the chop. Somewhat low on the ground with the soles. Check out the slow motion videos of Will Shusterick and how close he gets the knees together at a faster step pace than you and you'll notice that you have roughly similar step length because you lift the right leg toward the target. Getting the knees close to each other and bent farther down than you allows more leg push for a faster body rotation.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Re: Dave's Drives (New vids 8/13/09)

Postby Stringbean » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:20 am

Bradley Walker wrote:It is something that I am correcting in my throw as we speak. As a result of seeing myself on the slow mo video. I was really curious why my chest looked so "up" or "out" as the disc passed my chest, and the disc was even striking my chest as it passed. The, the disc in the snap position seemed so "popped out" from my chest. Even though the snap was correct, it just looked odd.

Blake had always told me for the reach-back to work correctly the arm must, "hinge" into the reach-back position. The arm does not come "across" the shoulder level, typically the arm is swung up slightly from below to the level position, and the right shoulder will actually "fold" and drop slightly at the farthest point of the reachback as the shoulders coil. As result the shoulder joint is properly hinged where the upper arm is underneath the shoulder joint through the pull.

If you try both pull backs, one with a level plane and one where the disc swings up from below it is immediately apparent there is a tremendous difference in the way your lead shoulder becomes loaded. In the straight back position there will be a need to open the lead shoulder on the finish, or "come over the top" slightly".

In the hinged position the disc can be pulled slightly below the lead shoulder with the shoulder more static. In the position the chest is more "over" the pull line. The throw feels much more linear, and the hips can swing clear without a massive foot pivot that is necessary with the truly flat flat throw that requires a much more rotatory finish. An "across" pull back will create turn over torque that will become worse the power you apply to it. The hard you throw, the more likely the disc is to flip when you did not intend it to flip.

The hinged position is much more suited to hyzer power, and if the pull of the arm is kept under the shoulder joint properly creates no torque to flip the disc. There are only a hand full of good players who do *do not* hinge the arm going back. Feldberg nearly touches his knee with the disc as he swings under, as he exaggerates his hyzer style. Walt Haney does it with a tiny little dip of his shoulder (you really have to look for it). You can also look a Schweberger, Russell, or just about any European player. Many start with the disc in the forward "primed" position and swing under the max reachback.

I could not throw a real nose down hyzer until I started hinging under and not across. I started with practicing hyzers with the hinged under pull back, (as will most likely result when you start as your hand will most likely be in the wrong position if you have been throwing with the arm reaching back across the shoulder joint). Now I can throw nearly every shot with my arm pull hard under and through, as a I have begun to couple my snap direction with the new plane. All of a sudden I can throw hard and stuff is not flipping, even into the wind. My finish is much more under and through, instead of across and around which, since my foot pivot is so poor has always slowed down my finish.

Wow, there are some great nuggets of information in this thread.

JR, you mentioned Will Schusterick and how he get his knees so close together. I have been trying to incorporate this into my form for a long time and finally realized that my incredibly stiff hips and hamstrings will not allow it... it is painful just attempting it in slow motion. I am going to spend the winter stretching daily and hopefully that will allow me to get more power out of my legs.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:13 am

Not changing anything and gaining in motion range thus also gaining in muscle looseness because of not encountering stretshing of the muscles beyond what they are easily capable of should add speed and power. Of course if that adds to timing issues then the benefits may not be as great as they could. Being more limber will proably protect against pulled muscles.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby warobert » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:58 am

Great thread jr and dgdave. As a fellow big guy disc golfer, I hope to use this thread to keep working on my form this winter. I really want that consistent 450 golf shot but I have been at the 410-425 plateau for a year and a half. 450 is enough to give me comfortable shots at a lot of birdieable holes in NC that I have to throw full power at now and suffer consistency because of it. An 80% 300 ft roc shot is super helpful on courses around here as well and an increase in snap would make that shot a lot easier for me as well
Mark Ellis wrote:Myth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid.

Truth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid left-handed.
warobert
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: teebird

Postby dgdave » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:56 pm

Holy thread bump.

Well, I definitely don't throw far anymore (400-420 on a good day) and I probably get in 2 rounds a month tops.

I have been running and getting back to the gym again to get back to a healthy life. Looking to drop 100-120lbs. Maybe even get into golfing heavily again. I played really well last year and fucked up my ACL and MCL in July or August and that stopped my run pretty quick and I haven't wanted to push it too hard. I do want to get back to throwing like a pro again and I'm using this weight loss as motivation. When I want to get in a round or hit the field, I go to the gym, pool, or track instead until I shed a good bit of weight. I play when my buddy is free and we can meet up and occasionally the whole family goes out. Plus,I've been super busy coaching both of my sons' sports team. (2014 Kindergarten Flag football champs!) Its gonna be hard playing a bunch next year because I'm working on going back to school to finish my Teaching Degree in the fall semester. I really found out what I want to do in coaching football.

So all in all, sorry I haven't lived up to my DGR Postmaster General title for a while. I've been living life and trying to make it better for me and my family.

If anyone is ever around Notman, OK hit me up and we'll get in a round
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby JR » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:13 am

Sounds like you are winning every day and will even more if you graduate Dave. I have list 47 lbs from when i was at my top weight but i am shorter and i took years i did not rush it. I have lost weight in stages corresponding to life style changes. The real gains came with dietary changes. With each version i lost more change. Sports did less and less as i got thinner. While i am 2-3 lbs above ideal weight range losing that would require a change in sports.

Pf was my bane and i basically quit jogging. Cycling is friendlier but exchanging short jogs to hours long cycling kept the stress level up. I gained a pound of weight doing a cycle marathon. Plus a little. That is 186 km erm about 115 miles off the top of my head. I cycled a lot to be able to do that tourist style. I could not do that in a single exertion. I was on the bike about 15+ hours but took breaks so it took me about 20 hrs. The season total before i got sick was five pounds off two of them coming from walking 10-14 hrs for a week staffing the European championships despite eating chocolate every day. So walking a lot with some running in between helps a lot when done every day. You need a vacation to pull that off.

here is motivation for you. The sporty kids listen to you more when you are closer to level with them bmi wise. And you will set a healthier example for them. Seeing how the US is number one in obesity that stuff matters. Not only for you but others as well.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:56 am

Regarding what Bradley wrote how would leading with the right hip bone combine with hinge? I imagine well. Feldy said that almost every top player does it. You do not come up with the whole body from the reacg back but do it in two steps. Firstly after the plant you push the hips forward while leaning back as much or almost as much as you were in the farthest back point of the reach back. Once the hip has gone forward as much as it can the upper body comes upright. I do not know if Blake or Bradley meant the hip forward throw as a part of the hinge but to me it seems they should gel perfectly. I would not wonder if hip forward is an integral part of getting on top of the disc after reaching back low. Dave had a video of him reacfhing back low and pulling more level from iirc the left side forward. So he might have some insight and experience on the matter.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Video Critique