Disc Golf Prodigy

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Prodigy

Postby chainsmoker » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:28 am

Thanks for the reviews guys, the reviews on the other site forgot to describe how the discs fly.
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

Postby 7ontheline » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:09 pm

I predict GG will get the record with a D4. I also think some really long throwers will be left wanting for more stability than the current D1s can provide without a fair amount of hyzer. Haters gonna hate but give me a disc that I can grip and flies as far as a nuke or boss without being as nose angle sensitive. Also, I'm also in favor of paying the pros for their hard work. There's no $2 million guarantee like Rory gets just for showing up for these guys who drive across the country and inspiring others with there skill.

My 42yo buddy set a personal best with my D4 today. He's 5'7" 145lbs and usually tops out around 380' on a good boss anny throw. He threw one over the road at Shelby Forest West that turned over on a high anny line for 425'. Maybe he won't buy one. :silent: :roll:
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby JHern » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:23 pm

OK, got all mine (D1&D4) in the mail, and had a chance to play with them. Here is a quick summary so far of my findings, being more or less objective...

1st run Blue D1: Plastic is gummy TPU, it falls somewhere between Opto/VIP and ABC TPU in terms of feel and gumminess (ABC is the gummiest, hands-down). Grip is like a slightly wider winged new Destroyer, and the flight is similar to a slightly faster Destroyer (while it's still over-stable out-of-the-box), I think this is what they were trying for and they nailed it. Over all, this is a very nice disc, although the edges do get a bit gouged on tough impacts, raising questions about its toughness in the long-term.

1st run Yellow D4: Plastic is less gummy than blue D1, seems to emit an oily residue (this was common in many Innova Champion plastic discs in the past), wash with dish soap before each use and the oily residue goes away. Maybe tougher with impacts than the blue D1 (only time will tell), very similar rim feel but definitely turns over more at high speeds. Still has some fade/LSS, though it is definitely their longest disc (especially if the D2/3 are intermediate between D1 and D4).

Over all: Great glide, like a good Destroyer, the D series from Prodigy appear to be like getting Destroyers in various stages of wear. These are going to be popular throwing discs, without question. Will Schusterick is doubtless going to bomb some big spike hyzers with the D1, this team will have a good set of drivers to work with. And, with the same feel/grip on each D mold, it could be a great way to fill all of the wide-winged driver slots in your bag, perhaps one of the greatest design elements of the D series drivers.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:39 pm

Comparative distance to other long fast discs and glide evaluation please :-) Also when you get more experience i'd like to know how they fare in different wind directions an speeds.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:35 pm

JR wrote:Comparative distance to other long fast discs and glide evaluation please :-) Also when you get more experience i'd like to know how they fare in different wind directions an speeds.

Here's my review left at that other place today. My advice is don't throw as hard as you can for a few hours on back to back days :idea:

For reference, my max D on a good day (averaged from the tailwind huck with a newish esp nuke and headwind pull of a seasoned star boss) averages around 425'. On golf lines, I normally throw discs to about 50' short of their open field max D (ie eagle-x 280-320 on golf lines).

Yesterday, Memphis had a 10mph west wind with some gusts. Into a 15mph gust, my D1s were stable staight (on a low line) to 370'. My normal 175 & 173 seasoned stable star bosses turned and burned into those gusts. I had several controlled down wind hyzer shots with my D1s out to a reliable 425'. However, into sustained 10mph headwind the D1s were much shorter than my seasoned bosses by 20'+ on average. I pulled my esp nukes in favor of the D4 after my first day of testing but the bosses are staying for now. I don't have the confidence to turn the D1 over yet but I can see the line.

The D4s are money. I had my second furthest throw ever, 510'. I was getting a much higher anny line that I was seeing the potential for last time. If I could have thrown that 500' shot with the other day's 20+mph wind, I'd be world champ ;) This is NOT a headwind driver. I could one step it to 360' into that 10mph headwind but every other D4 throw would hyzer out or pop straight up 20' then flip 180 degrees and spike 250' regardless of how far I turned it down at full power.

I said earlier that I was thinking +20' on my average drive using the D4 over my esp nukes but now I don't think that's complete. My best form days were around 440' with a couple to 450' with esp nukes (with 2 out of 5 throws ending in failure) but with the D4s my bad ones are going 420-450' and half are around 480' (and only 1 out of 5 are failures). I've been stuck at 475' max D downwind with my beat silly esp nuke. The deal breaker is that 75% of the time that go roller esp nuke was a 300' failure so it never got max power during tourney play.

To that I'll add that the lower PLH, higher domed green opaque D4s (pictured on right) turn and stay turned longer than the yellow or green transparent D4 which have similar PLH and little dome.

D1 blue v. D4 yellow

Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby Booter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:38 pm

i have some green opaque d4 's and green opaque d1's coming in. they look grippy as hell and like yummy taffy ce
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby inthedrift » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:49 am

Had the chance to fondle a blue D1 and a dayglo D4 a couple days ago. The plastic definitely feels great, seemed durable and the grip was ideal. I'm pumped to try out some slower discs once they release them, I can't really test a wide rimmed driver until the snow is gone. :)
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby JR » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:54 am

That sounds nice 7 but how does the D4 fly in calm weather.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby HumboldtGolfer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:39 pm

[quote="Leopard"]Yeah dude I'm curious, I haven't heard a whiff of this Prodigy at all.
All that would mean is that they don't yet have something to sell to us in Austin. It could exist in a big way and we could not hear it.

What's with the Barsby shirt that says Deity Discs? It's got a DD-ish logo, and there are no google results for that name. Since DD is taken as an approved brand name, and the separate but equal disc brand name would lessen retailer conflict, I'm inclined to believe Deity Discs is worth being confused about. And I mean, Deity... nobody treats/markets pros like fuckin gods like DD :)

Nobody seems to know about Deity Discs yet. It's a new disc brand coming out soon, who Barsby and some others are being sponsored by. Keep your eyes open for it, they are perfecting the plastic right now and should be seen at tournaments fairly soon, especially in Northern California.
HumboldtGolfer
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Leopard » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:33 pm

HumboldtGolfer wrote:
Leopard wrote:Yeah dude I'm curious, I haven't heard a whiff of this Prodigy at all.
All that would mean is that they don't yet have something to sell to us in Austin. It could exist in a big way and we could not hear it.

What's with the Barsby shirt that says Deity Discs? It's got a DD-ish logo, and there are no google results for that name. Since DD is taken as an approved brand name, and the separate but equal disc brand name would lessen retailer conflict, I'm inclined to believe Deity Discs is worth being confused about. And I mean, Deity... nobody treats/markets pros like fuckin gods like DD :)

Nobody seems to know about Deity Discs yet. It's a new disc brand coming out soon, who Barsby and some others are being sponsored by. Keep your eyes open for it, they are perfecting the plastic right now and should be seen at tournaments fairly soon, especially in Northern California.

Nice!
I hope they're watching this episode of DG Marketing in Practice. The worst thing they could do for themselves is to hype it too soon.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Hoey » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:52 pm

Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby JHern » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:43 pm

Word on the street is that the pros aren't happy with the stability of the D1 so far, they want something more over-stable, and Prodigy will probably deliver it when they get a chance. Also heard that they have more injection molding machines than Discraft, Phil Arthur is doing much of the disc production work himself, and they bought a ton of plastic supply (so should be consistent for a while). Some of Prodigy's pros are signing sponsorships with Legacy since Prodigy can't be exclusive without a full bag, so they're being hooked up with putters (Clozer, in particular), I heard Devan Owens, Ricky Wysocki, and even Nikko Locastro might do so.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby keltik » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:03 pm

JHern, you never fail to deliver do you?

I don't know if they've got a handle on their process quite yet. DGCR has put up pictures of short shot molded discs from Prodigy.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby dgdave » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:24 pm

Threw a D1 a few times today. They are ok, but nothing that super impressed me. The feel of the plastic is really nice, but after 1 tree branch hit scuffed it pretty good

"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby JHern » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:02 pm

JR wrote:Comparative distance to other long fast discs and glide evaluation please :-) Also when you get more experience i'd like to know how they fare in different wind directions an speeds.

For me the D4 is in the neighborhood of other wide-winged drivers, like Cannon, Katana, domey Pro Destroyer, etc.. It turns over a lot new at 400' power, and I don't know if this is going to be good thing when it gets a bit more seasoned. The other day I threw a buddy's Icon Cannon that was ultra-gummy and turned over a great deal at 167g, I think that is probably the longest disc I've thrown so far.
Japan bag...
JHern

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion