MVP's new driver -- Volt

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP's new driver -- Volt

Postby discspeed » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:throws a bunch like an old mold beast or a beat orc but didn't have as much glide.

I found the opposite...That is wasn't as fast as those discs but glided better (which is why it's not great in the wind). I never thought Orcs glided much, which is why they so overstable when underpowered yet understable over a certain speed. I feel similar about the old mold Beast, though I think it glides a touch more.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Jeronimo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:06 pm

173 Black Volt: TFF.

Too fuckin flippy.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby sunspot » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:54 pm

Saint or Volt for someone who throws 400ft?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby Jeronimo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:34 pm

Both are kinda gross. A lot of variation among Saints from what i've seen so far, apparently there is some variation with Volts too. I'd avoid sparkle Saints, as they've all been stupidflippy, maybe try out a nice firm gold line one or an opto with some pop to its dome. I've had good luck with those and it basically behaves like a champ sidewinder for me. Has its uses but it's not "ol' trusty". From what i'm told there are apparently some Volts that aren't stupidflippy too, my black one however, is. I think you could control either if you really wanted to. Personally, I'd still rather throw a Striker/Eagle/Teebird/blargh... I'll keep trying the Volt but so far its a meh.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Codester101 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:08 pm

For me (I can get a disc out to 450 on a good day) my lightest weight Volt has just a tiny amount of turn, while my max weight volt has quite a bit of turn, if its that nice really tight S you are looking for try a 168 Volt.
Codester101
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I can find.

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:41 am

My 173 pink volt has a bunch of turn to it. Way flippier than I expected, this plus the shallowness of the rim is making me sad about this disc.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Ryan C » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:03 pm

Yeah, this disc doesn't sound very exciting to me. I wont bother saying it on DGCR, as I don't want to be burned alive, but its just an understable fairway with moderate glide. I'd personally rather throw an FD. Those have been pretty sweet for me, and have great glide. Also Volts feel awful in the hand to me. If you have big hands, they are just too shallow.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby iacas » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:32 pm

I threw two of mine a fair amount today. I quite like them. I still have a LOT of form work to do but they were getting out there with my Flow and the Air Saints and whatnot. Pretty pleased with them, to be honest.

My brother-in-law liked his too. He has terrible form and throws 200' or so. He did well with his.

It's not the second coming or the world's greatest disc, but it's a solid 7/10 or 8/10 disc that will fill a need, I think, for many.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby Pwingles » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:36 pm

iacas wrote:I threw two of mine a fair amount today. I quite like them. I still have a LOT of form work to do but they were getting out there with my Flow and the Air Saints and whatnot. Pretty pleased with them, to be honest.

My brother-in-law liked his too. He has terrible form and throws 200' or so. He did well with his.

It's not the second coming or the world's greatest disc, but it's a solid 7/10 or 8/10 disc that will fill a need, I think, for many.

careful, theyll come for you bro, youll never be heard from again.....
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby pask2155 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:01 pm

Anyone got any recent reviews on this disc? I shoot PDs right now for fairways and can get them to 380-390'. Would this be a pointless disc for me?

I use a beat p pd for s curves or turning disc and an s line for a straight fading disc.
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby JR » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:51 am

Totally pointless would mean that it has no advantage ever in any hole and any situation. That is probably going too far but if you look at it from the perspective of throwing better with discs that you know if they don't perform like you need them to then you have a dilemma. If you have no holes in the bag why change? If you have a hole go ahead and try a new disc. Not owning a Volt that is like the majority i cannot say how they perform so i'd look at the videos of MikeC on Youtube.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby sunspot » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:34 pm

Does the Volt have useable or unuseable flippyness? This is one of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger and bought one. I'm concerned if I will get one that is not stable enough.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby JR » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:41 pm

The ones flying on MikeC vids have usable flippyness mine are a matter of taste and my taste differs from how my Volts perform. Since the local store carries probably the same batch as mine came from i can expect no help from buying another one and i'm not buying more of these unseen. Sorry MVP burned once means easily that i'm not dipping my toe in the water twice until i can get verification from others that now it is safe. Besides i prefer my Leos and Rivers to the flight that Mike produced with the Volts and having slick skin...
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby CatPredator » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:30 pm

sunspot wrote:Does the Volt have useable or unuseable flippyness? This is one of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger and bought one. I'm concerned if I will get one that is not stable enough.

The one I bought flies somewhere between a Champ Eagle-L and a shorter Champ Valkyrie. Not that interesting of a disc to me, but they're usable.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby pask2155 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:05 pm

What is the range of this disc? Like what's the Max d and average range people are getting on golf lines?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment