MVP's new driver -- Volt

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP's new driver -- Volt

Postby JR » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:00 am

Shorter Valk sounds right. But how exactly regular ones range i have no idea.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby pask2155 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:56 pm

so people are averaging about 350-380 on golf lines?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby JR » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:52 pm

IIRC i got my weird ones at best to 370-380' with Beasts going 410'.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Mike C » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:22 pm

That's the most recent Volt video I did. For me they fly closer to stable than what people are describing here. I did some field work today with Volts, FR shocks and the new more OS shocks, and on a flattish 90% power throw they'd flip up, track 10-15' over, then fade back, generally finishing dead straight to ten feet laterally past the line.

I've tried six now and they all flew about the same. Thrown hard and flat I'll get a tight S a ways past 400', Thrown hard and hyzer they'll flip up to flat or close to it, glide dead straight then fade out for 400' or so of D. Same thing FH as BH except I can't flick as far, maybe 350' or so on a flat release S. I've found them really useful, and are similar in ways to the driver I used the longest, a well seasoned 1.1 QOLF. These are much easier to replace, brighter and easier to find, cheaper, and don't have to be beat into a specific state of wear to hit the lines they do.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby discspeed » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:32 pm

I've got Volts all over the place, but what I'm really interested in is the next run of Volts after the breakthroughs they made with the Shock. I have a feeling "flippy" Volts are going to be extinct like "flippy" early Ions.

Lately my favorite Volt has been the flippy pink one that Frank traded me. It's very controlled for me on anhyzers and it still has the Volt fade to pull it out at the end. I was playing with all MVP along with a couple of Prodigy protos yesterday and that Volt was my longest MVP disc. For me the Volt is a bit longer than the Amp and Shock regardless of line.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby sunspot » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:19 pm

My distance: 380-400 on good rips with control drivers.

Threw the Volt the first time today and came away unimpressed. I had to throw with considerable hyzer to get it fly stable. If I put too much power into it it would flip up flat, turn, and not come back. I would be okay with it if flipped later in it's flight, but it was earlier than what I was expecting.I've heard some compare it to a beat eagle. I would say it is more like a beat valkyrie. I was hoping it was more like a faster eagle x in it's sweet spot.

Frankly, the HSS is fine, but I would be fine with it as long as they could add more LSS... or mail me a stable one. :mrgreen:
Last edited by sunspot on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby discspeed » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:43 pm

That is a Volt of the flippy variety. The majority of the ones out now are more stable than yours sounds, and all of the new ones are going to be more stable (new molding equipment/techniques). It is sort of the same as what originally occurred with the ions...they had some under stability before MVP got their putter molding down, then they were stable to overstable as the general shape of the disc suggests.
discspeed

Postby sunspot » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:53 pm

discspeed wrote:That is a Volt of the floppy variety. The majority of the ones out now are more stable than yours sounds, and all of the new ones are going to be more stable (new molding equipment/techniques). It is sort of the same as what originally occurred with the ions...they had some under stability before MVP got their putter molding down, then they were stable to overstable as the general shape of the disc suggests.

So, most distributors have the stable variety? Not sure if it matters, but I recently purchased mine from Disc Golf Center. I don't know if they have older inventory or not.
Is there anyway to tell them a part?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discspeed » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:22 pm

sunspot wrote:
discspeed wrote:That is a Volt of the floppy variety. The majority of the ones out now are more stable than yours sounds, and all of the new ones are going to be more stable (new molding equipment/techniques). It is sort of the same as what originally occurred with the ions...they had some under stability before MVP got their putter molding down, then they were stable to overstable as the general shape of the disc suggests.

So, most distributors have the stable variety? Not sure if it matters, but I recently purchased mine from Disc Golf Center. I don't know if they have older inventory or not.
Is there anyway to tell them a part?

When the improved Volts come out they wont have the flash between the two plastics on the bottom of the wing. That could be a while from now though, and until then I'm afraid there are no rules to getting a stable Volt other than trading with someone you trust.
discspeed

Postby JR » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:56 pm

I think i will tune my flippy one because i see no use for it as it is because i've got better straight/slightly understable FWs that i can actually grip in adverse conditions. The latter problem is not cured but add a non preferred flight path...
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby pask2155 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:45 pm

What's the average distance you guys are getting with the volt?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby JR » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:10 am

I have a flippy early one and it goes to where the PD goes on a line drive. Volts don't pick up terribly much more D s-curved so there the PD has an edge in D. I have not thrown a mormal Volt but from what people say they have good HSS and LS so it may be fairly close to the PD but i'd be surprised if the normal Volts handled wind as well as the PD that is great in the wind. One of the standards for windy days and a pretty legendary wind beater by now. Especially among the not dump fading discs.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby discspeed » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:00 am

For once I find the same as JR...On low and straight golf shots they are similar in D, but on a distance line the PD goes a bit farther. The Volt fights the wind as well as a PD of the same stability, though when comparing the more overstable PDs you are getting into Shock territory. The new Shocks fly incredibly similar to my yellow chamystar PDs, though the Shocks power down better. A flattish PD is an all around sharper/faster disc than the MVPs, so it does cut the wind better...Problem is most flat PDs are flippy. The Shock reminds me a lot of my Big D flat CFR PD after it was in my bag for a year (though the Shock still has a bit more D and glide than that brick). Overall I find as a PD thrower the MVP discs are a very easy transition in terms of ranging.
discspeed

Postby JR » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:44 am

Well you noticed the Axis flying equally far flat or s-curved too so there have been precedents to us seeing the same behavior. Despite you having more power than me so far. I might bridge that gap though come summer :-) Oh and my recently bought Sword seems much straighter and longer than my FR which even according to the manufacturer is more OS so we do have similar findings. And i have never encountered a non flippy flat PD after it is broken in the first stage... DGR P PDs were flattish and started out non flippy but after two or three months on workhorse duty they were hyzer flippers. So the facts do not support the claim that our findings have thus far been different. Remember when Frank sent you a disc and it flew just like he described and his description matched my disc regarding the Volt? So maybe it is more apples to apples than you think. BTW. I have had wildly different Vectors and MVP confirmed that the best one was from the initial batch. And none of the latter ones have been the same and the latter ones have different dome heights between each other and vs the initial batch.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby sunspot » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:36 am

After tossing these around for a bit I can say that they are not for me. I think it is a good disc, but it doesn't deserve the amount of hype it has received. My gripes:

1. The slanted rim plus the shallow grip makes this disc uncomfortable.
2. Too much power turns them over and they don't come back. There should be more LSS
3. They are a tweener-tweener. They sit in between eagles and PDs thus making them moot.

I really wanted to like this offering from MVP, but I found myself getting frustrated while throwing it. I honestly think it would be better served for them to have a fairway in the speed 7 category. I think the outermold might be more utilized in a slower disc creating a separation from the other speed 7 fairways. As it stands, the Volt doesn't do anything better than other, similar discs.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment