Farthest flying non wide wing driver?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Farthest flying non wide wing driver?

Postby keltik » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:36 am

that is one of the few where the difference is night and day. DC actually gets credit for being the first dg company to realize that different plastics have different flights in the same mold.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby PMantle » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:43 am

keltik wrote:that is one of the few where the difference is night and day. DC actually gets credit for being the first dg company to realize that different plastics have different flights in the same mold.

Cool. The Cyclone is totally different in the 3 plastics. Only the ESP flies for me like what I read about online. The D, rated at 0, is one right flying muther scratcher.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby keltik » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Cyclone is also very shape dependent. The flat ESPs are quite stable almost OS. The old TPs were the best but they too ranged in stability. A domey Cyclone will have more turn. Of course the dome affects the PLH. and fortunately for all of us the Z Cyclone was very short lived.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby PMantle » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:51 pm

Was my first favorite disc, and now I don't throw the one I carry.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby money 21 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:37 pm

i like the z cyclones but it didn't anything like the other cyclones.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby PMantle » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Sounds like they could have just named them different things. Or pulled an SS with one.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:01 pm

most of this happened in the early 90's and ended in the early 2000's. way before the "SS" advent.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby allsport1313 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:20 pm

What's all the rage with DX Teebirds? Worth trying if I like Teebirds?
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby PMantle » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:23 pm

allsport1313 wrote:What's all the rage with DX Teebirds? Worth trying if I like Teebirds?

It was a wow moment for me when I bought my first one. They beat quick, so I bought a Champion and then a Star TL to avoid cycling Dx. I am not so sure that I won't go back to Dx, as I can get them at Wal-Mart. The Champion is just not as long by a bit, and way more overstable. Seems to overlap with my Tracker that I like more. I think the TL flies closer to the Dx.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby allsport1313 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:29 pm

Sweet man I'll have to try one at least for wide open shots. DX gets beat so fast in Texas... instead of grass we have rock ; ;
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby LumberJack » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Go snag yourself a pro Beast, just keep it off the trees and rocks and pavement. Beasts are fun, especially in a tail wind.
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Thunderchumpy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:09 pm

So this thread is fantastic. I too have small hands and can't seem to grip the wide stuff well. My longest disc is a beat PD, which I can get to 370-380'. Just behind that is my 1.1 SOLF, and then a Z-XS. All of these are max weight.

Should I be trying some lighter weights? I don't have a ton of cash, and all my DG buddies say to buy max weight shit for distance, and since I'm a noob I listen to whatever anyone says. Most of the courses I play I don't need an absolute bomber disc, but I would love something somewhat overstable that I can get 20 more feet from.
Thunderchumpy
Noob

Favorite Disc: z-XS

Postby PMantle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:53 pm

Thunderchumpy wrote: I don't have a ton of cash, and all my DG buddies say to buy max weight shit for distance,

That's interesting. Makes me wonder why the lightweight Blizzard stuff has taken off. All my longer discs tend to be light, but I have not taken the Blizzard plunge yet. Not sure what mold to try nor how light to go.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BrotherDave » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:46 pm

Thunderchumpy wrote:So this thread is fantastic. I too have small hands and can't seem to grip the wide stuff well. My longest disc is a beat PD, which I can get to 370-380'. Just behind that is my 1.1 SOLF, and then a Z-XS. All of these are max weight.

Should I be trying some lighter weights? I don't have a ton of cash, and all my DG buddies say to buy max weight shit for distance, and since I'm a noob I listen to whatever anyone says. Most of the courses I play I don't need an absolute bomber disc, but I would love something somewhat overstable that I can get 20 more feet from.

I'll put it to you this way. If you look at the discs the guys throw in the max D competitions, very rarely if ever do you see them throw something max weight. You saw a lot of Pro/DX stuff in the 160s and now blizzard type stuff. Technically, heavier has the potential to go farther accurately if you have the arm for it. Very few people have the arm to throw max weight discs farther or as far as something 5-10 grams lighter, as far as I can tell.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby pask2155 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:01 pm

Yeah for me my furthest disc I have ever thrown is a 168g esp nuke. 560'! So take that for what it's worth. I would say get a 168-167 pro pd. it flies! Also I wouldn't be afraid to step up the a wraith or something and beat that sucker in.

It has been my observation that, unless you're pro, speed 11 discs can have just as much distance potential as speed 13 discs. I know it seems backwards but just find your fit and you'll see what I mean. Each player has different throwing techniques... I have seen bombs happen with wraiths or dd's and then that same guy hyzer out a larger disc. So just find your fit. But if you can throw 380 with a pd try to beat in a pro wraith they go shockingly far
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment