Best glowing plastic

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Best glowing plastic

Postby south.texas.dead.i » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:27 pm

What's the best glowing plastic for playing at night?
south.texas.dead.i
Noob

Re: Best glowing plastic

Postby dgdave » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:31 pm

Gateway
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby chainsmoker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:21 pm

dgdave wrote:Gateway

True.
I'm not a disc hanging on the wall type of guy but I had a glow Wizard on the wall in my home office next to a lamp. if I would get up a couple hours after I went to bed the Wizard would still be glowing, when fully charged it was kind of freaky how bright that disc would glow.
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Flipflat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:12 pm

chainsmoker wrote:
dgdave wrote:Gateway

True.
I'm not a disc hanging on the wall type of guy but I had a glow Wizard on the wall in my home office next to a lamp. if I would get up a couple hours after I went to bed the Wizard would still be glowing, when fully charged it was kind of freaky how bright that disc would glow.

Is there a year of glow wizz that's best? Reason I ask is that I bought 3 blank glo wizards off some dude a few years ago who said they were from '08 or '07, a "good" year for glow wizards. Sounded kinda bs-y, bought them anyway, they felt nice.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby JR » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:12 am

Some years ago Gateway made yellow super glowy Wizards that had more glow material in them than anything before and those that got some said the difference was large to regular glow Wizards that were for a long time the brightest and longest discs i have encountered. Eclipse Ion from MVP ties in the rim and surprisingly Glo Z Nuke is the brightest and longest glowing disc i've met. I think it is because there is so much plastic thus glow material in the wing. A discharge is likely to charge the neighbor so it stay brighter for longer than anything. Glo Z in Buzzz and Stalker with much smaller wing mass are dull in comparison to the Ion and the Wizard.

The above results were achieved with a 200 lumen flashlight i have not made that extensive testing with daylight only charging because no disc is charged enough for me.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby tbird888 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:38 pm

I bought some of the "mega-glow" Evo Wizards they were selling not too long ago (way too expensive) and didn't think they glowed worth a damn until I bought a UV flashlight. With the UV light, they glow very bright and for a good amount of time, but I have a traditional superglow with a 2010? Centralia Open stamp on it that beats it hands down. It glows brighter and longer than the new Evos.
tbird888
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pure

Best glowing plastic

Postby south.texas.dead.i » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:18 pm

http://www.dynamicdiscs.net/Gateway-Glo ... p/2513.htm
So this one or
http://www.dynamicdiscs.net/Gateway-Glo ... p/2530.htm

Is where I should go? I'm looking for a good putter with glow. Another one I saw was the mvp eclipse proton anode putter
south.texas.dead.i
Noob

Postby 7ontheline » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:51 am

I got a Zam stamped tree kicking death's balls glow wizard for my buddy last year or so go at its never glowed well. At night it looks really grainy and splotchy when charged. BTW, its been his main putter of almost a year now. I've also got a glow nuke and many other molds that don't glow worth a shit. I've found that the best glowers are the more opaque/milky but of course all discs have a varing degree of opacity.

UV lights are the way to go. Here are my brightest glowing and two of my favorite eagles. zj told me the '03 Coastal Clash EL was CE. The guy I bought the Lance Armstrong EX for much less said the ole story "Innova found a box of old plactic in the back warehouse". Sorry for the lousy pic but in person they look pretty close to me (more like the Coastal).

Here's my case for clear is queer (Z Nuke):

My source for UV. Cost only a couple dollars more but you're not waiting on a shipment from Hong Kong.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320785112302?ss ... 1423.l2649
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby JR » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:47 am

I bought a Nextorch XL of 780 lumens and the beam is so much wider that it is not that much brighter in the hot spot than my previous 200 lumen torch. I only tested the same Glo Z Nuke that i tested with in the previous test in another thread with a 200 lumen torch. I shone the torch on the top and bottom of the wing fairly slowly and left the disc in a dark closed room and after 22 minutes it was glowing enough to help in finding the disc once you're in the vicinity to be able to look at the wing from above=probably fairly close not too many dozens of feet away. Not a bright glow by any means.

So i need to adjust my previous conclusions with the surprise of the hot spot being not that much brighter with the almost 4x lumens being diluted a lot by shining them in a much wider beam so getting blinded is not much of a problem. Although losing night vision is always in the cards even with the 200 lumen torch so imagine 780. I had frankly never thought of getting such a long time of minimally usable glow from a disc so not bad at all. I did not try the other discs in the previous test with their shorter glowing time but with this torch they should be easy enough to find :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Varsi » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:36 pm

Tested Eclipse Anode a bit. I'm pretty sure I could still easily find it outside after 10 minutes if it was dark enough. Still easy to spot in a dark room after an hour.
It is bit of a problem that the glowing part is pretty narrow. Can be somewhat hard to spot it in anything but short grass.
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Postby 7ontheline » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:30 pm

I've got a pair of eclipse yellow ions. I agree the small outer rubber rim isn't as easy to see as some others but the yellow flight plate lights up like a christmas tree when hit at distance with a UV light, very cool.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:01 am

I have not seen uv flashlights here and usually no course has short enough grass for Eclipses that are almost as lucent as the Glo Z Nuke.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:35 pm

UV are the only way to go. No blinding white light and they charge glow discs in a quarter of the time as the brightest flashlight.

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:52 am

UV is harmful for the eyes though and in the dark the pupils are gonna be extra large letting in all the possible UV light when visible lights make the pupils smaller. UV damages the retina causing things like cataract so you need to be very careful in looking away from the disc and what good does it do if you don't see another player shining his light into your eyes in the dark? I'm all for easy finding but i'd look at light enhancers plus normal flashlights. I have not yet tried that combo with the current flashlight charged discs. Snow and white discs? No thanks.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby KennethTodd » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:20 am

JR wrote:UV is harmful for the eyes though and in the dark the pupils are gonna be extra large letting in all the possible UV light when visible lights make the pupils smaller. UV damages the retina causing things like cataract so you need to be very careful in looking away from the disc and what good does it do if you don't see another player shining his light into your eyes in the dark? I'm all for easy finding but i'd look at light enhancers plus normal led lights. I have not yet tried that combo with the current flashlight charged discs. Snow and white discs? No thanks.

Hello friend I am unaware about the harmful effects of UV light but which light is best suited in your opinion.. I am searching for a while so please help me..
Last edited by KennethTodd on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
KennethTodd
Noob

Next

Return to Equipment