Farthest flying non wide wing driver?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Farthest flying non wide wing driver?

Postby money 21 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:34 pm

Thunderchumpy wrote:So this thread is fantastic. I too have small hands and can't seem to grip the wide stuff well. My longest disc is a beat PD, which I can get to 370-380'. Just behind that is my 1.1 SOLF, and then a Z-XS. All of these are max weight.

Should I be trying some lighter weights? I don't have a ton of cash, and all my DG buddies say to buy max weight shit for distance, and since I'm a noob I listen to whatever anyone says. Most of the courses I play I don't need an absolute bomber disc, but I would love something somewhat overstable that I can get 20 more feet from.

drop down to the mid 160's on all those discs and I bet you add at least 20' per disc.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby andrew » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:50 pm

I've thrown P-PDs in many weights and can get lighter weights further than heavier. I bag two 163g for max D in wooded courses now, one pretty beat. I'm a scrawny nerd and not particularly athletic, and 350' seems pretty easy to achieve with a PD of any weight after 2 years of throwing them. Lighter weights do reveal form flaws, especially OAT, more readily, however. Gonna call BS that a noob can get a max weight PD out to 370 or that pask got a nuke to 560. Even on a fluke, consistency is the key to this sport....
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby Parks » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:07 am

Pro TLs absolutely bomb if you give them some height.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thunderchumpy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:55 am

andrew wrote:I've thrown P-PDs in many weights and can get lighter weights further than heavier. I bag two 163g for max D in wooded courses now, one pretty beat. I'm a scrawny nerd and not particularly athletic, and 350' seems pretty easy to achieve with a PD of any weight after 2 years of throwing them. Lighter weights do reveal form flaws, especially OAT, more readily, however. Gonna call BS that a noob can get a max weight PD out to 370 or that pask got a nuke to 560. Even on a fluke, consistency is the key to this sport....

Well, I still consider myself a noob because I haven't hit par on any course yet, but I've been playing for about 2 years. I have a solid year throwing the PD, so I can legitimately throw 370' or so with a decent bit of accuracy if it's wide open. I have thrown some blizzard stuff, but with very little control and they all seem pretty flippy.

Thanks for the input, I think I'll try some of the discs I throw now in lighter weights.
Thunderchumpy
Noob

Favorite Disc: z-XS

Postby andrew » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:50 am

Gotcha- I appreciate that criteria as a noob designation. I was thinking noob more in terms of those i frequently see online who state, "Been playing three months and pretty much have this sport figured out, but..." or those I meet in stores who state, "I need max weight discs because i throw with so much power!" :roll:

Edit to add; If you're not playing courses for par, I'd wager it's your putting game to blame....
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby Thunderchumpy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:09 pm

andrew wrote:Edit to add; If you're not playing courses for par, I'd wager it's your putting game to blame....

You are correct sir. I putt like old people fuck.
Thunderchumpy
Noob

Favorite Disc: z-XS

Postby pask2155 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:06 pm

andrew wrote:Gonna call BS that a noob can get a max weight PD out to 370 or that pask got a nuke to 560. Even on a fluke, consistency is the key to this sport....

HAHAHAHA well that's your peragative but as the range finder says 561 actually because it was 187 yards... But it wasn't just a nuke I got 3 discs within 10 ft of each other... A nuke, blizz boss, and a p line dd... I'm lanky at 6'3. Played hockey's whole life and learned a crap ton over at the technique section and posted vids...

Don't matter to me none... I'm hear to help not praise myself...

PS- I also have only been playing 6 months... And was with a buddy who threw 520'. You can learn real fast when someone helps you...
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby dgdave » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:26 pm

So you're saying you're naturally athletic? Possibly work out too?
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby pask2155 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:49 pm

Yeah. Don't work out much but yes naturally athletic. Doing snapshots my whole life I've already learner about weight transfer and all that. Obviously this is different but end of the day it has helped a ton!
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby dgdave » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:21 pm

How do you feel about Mids? Over rated?
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby pask2155 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:25 pm

dgdave wrote:How do you feel about Mids? Over rated?

Nope I love mids. I shoot them from 270-330ish somewhere in there. I love those shots. And anything under 270' I use a putter. I have found the ion is my go to putter off the tee. I can crank it out pretty good but I have to be careful because if given 100% it will turn...

Why do you ask?

Really the only discs I think are over rated are the crazy overstable speed 9-10 discs. I might be off but some guys love them and I cant really use.them very well. But I haven't been playing to long so.maybe there's a reason why ppl love z preds. Lil. I'm just not a fan they fade almost as soon as they leave my hand. I have to release anny and at that point why not use a different disc. But again its probably me
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:12 am

Only a portion of DGR rembers those golden oldies partially deleted joke threads dgdave was referring to. Many people have joined since then. He was messing with you. And i'm tempted to write a word in plural that starts with the letter b :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:12 am

Double post occurred due to a mistaken double click on the submit post button.
Last edited by JR on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby pask2155 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:33 am

Well I have no idea what your talking about. Lol. But JR you are half the reason for my D! The longer reach back and the hip getting past neutral really helped my throw... So thanks!
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby Jerbob » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:16 am

dgdave wrote:So you're saying you're naturally athletic? Possibly work out too?

Heh.
Magic Wizard Roc Gator Eagle Firebird PD Destroyer
Jerbob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment