New bag setup

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: New bag setup

Postby JR » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:31 am

You don't have anything understable in there. Even an equal FH/BH thrower can land next to obstacles and need to throw around them and end up in the opposite direction of the fade from the throw he is using.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby discpunk26 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:05 am

Through trial and error I found that, for myself that, I tend to do better throwing discs that are straight stable in those situations. The Surge, Buzzz, and Challenger fill those rolls for me. I know the idea behind the less stable discs in those situations, but I tend to over compensate with understable discs, then they just turn and burn.
discpunk26
Noob

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby JR » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:03 pm

It is easy to get a putter and a mid to hold a right turn but the Surge is a fade disc and will fight staying anny. That is too hard for some anny holes.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby discpunk26 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:53 pm

This is true, there are situations that the surge does fight out a bit too much, or too fast, but that is part of knowing your limitations. I chose this disc because of my limitation with it, and because it has the widest range of roller capabilities for me that also help with limiting factors of the anhyzer I can't otherwise do. What other disc might you recommend for the anny shots? I mean it is so hard to find the right disc for that shot. I know I'm a power thrower and reaching 500' on drive with my forces is definately not a problem. Got to do a little testing of the cannon today, worlds of difference from the surge, but I think in the summer I will be bombing that out over 500 side arm. Power is not the problem, toning down is a little more the issue especially for turn overs to be controlled.
discpunk26
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:15 am

At that power the Beast should be somewhat understable and if not at least it won't fight out of annies easily.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby discpunk26 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:52 am

Thanks for the recommendation, I actually haven't thrown one in years, and that is one that I didn't even think of. I knew if anyone was going to have a good suggestion it would be you JR.
discpunk26
Noob

Postby PMantle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:58 am

Beasts in Dx can be really understable.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JR » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:05 pm

For the first couple of throws a DX Beast can be like those in harder plastics but then it becomes very flippy and for a Force to 500' thrower it is probably a roller because as a max 440' in very optimal rear winds on a good day wind assisted s-curve thrower it is very rollable in calm conditions for me. With so much power i'd go for the Champ for durability or Star for a little more grip if needed. Pro grips the best but may not last at that power as it does with mine as long as i don't throw it around rocks. Luckily my rocky home course does not have Beast fairways :-)
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby discpunk26 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:33 am

The beast has been working really well and may be my go to driver for the 2013 season, well at least for backhand.
discpunk26
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:28 am

It is my goto but does it flip for you at high power levels? Do you hyzer flip to flat? At which distance does it stop flipping? Which plastic and weight?
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby PMantle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:09 am

discpunk26 wrote:The beast has been working really well and may be my go to driver for the 2013 season, well at least for backhand.

I've had some of my longest throws ever with a light Dx Beast, but it must be at least a little downwind, and I have to flip it or it turns into a roller quickly, and not in a good way.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby discpunk26 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:37 pm

The Beast I am throwing is champion plastic, I put a lot of hyzer on this disc and flip it up flat when I throw it. The beast powers down extremely well, and flies straight in the 330'-370' range. I have thrown this disc reasonably straight out around 420', it flexed out to the right from 300' to about 375' the last 50' it hyzered back. Haven't gotten this disc out to an open field to really see how far it will go, but 400 easy works for me for now.
discpunk26
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:34 am

Similar results to mine except i have less D. Or who knows where i'm now after winter training and a changed form that taxes injured spots more but should be in theory better and feels better. The discs feel weightier in the fingers.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby discpunk26 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:23 pm

This is a little more of an equipment question, but still a bag related question. I love the Legacy drivers I'm throwing, but when I have tried different plastics I have noticed a huge difference in flight. For example I love my pinnacle rampage, so I decided to try an icon rampage, I can forehand the pinnacle rampage 450' pretty easy, and that is flipping it to flat. When I try the same shot with an icon rampage it almost flips into a roller. Has anyone else had this problem with Legacy discs, and is there really a need for a disc that is as flippy as another in the bag?
discpunk26
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:18 am

I was burned early with Legacy discs so i have no idea about how the majority and recent discs work. Or last mine did not even in Icon. Field practice only for a short time and flip monsters out of Cannons and Rampages so who knows... Overlap is generally a bad idea.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion