Bardu's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Bardu's Bag

Postby Bardu » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:17 pm

My power level is not great. The pro Leo I had would always fade on flex shots and try to fight out of an anny as well. Maybe I need a dx?

Grabbed a couple of g9is while they are still for sale, I'll try those for drives. I'm gonna grab a stack of softs and mediums,when they are released again, as well.
Bardu
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JR » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:29 am

DX Will fade even less but it will also be very flippy soon. I don't think that the Pro Leo would lose a lot of the fade which suggests the need to look at tweeners like the touchy Fuse and the Comet and the more manageable Warship or the tremendous Coyote. MDs and the harder plastic Axis could work too but they are shorter than the above. Out of those the Coyote has the distance edge by a little over the Comet/Fuse/Warship.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Bardu » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:59 am

I tend to prefer to throw the slowest disc whenever possible . I really enjoyed having the comet in my bag previously. I cut it because I can pull off all the shots I needed it for with Rocs, my beat DX or KC Pro. Maybe I should pick up a champ and/or pro Leo and just spend a little more time with them.
Bardu
Noob

Postby Bardu » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:08 am

My DX Eagle did get flippy pretty fast. Seeing as how I'm still learning and hit alot of trees and also that I live in Minnesota, perhaps being patient with a champ Leo would be a really good idea. Same reasoning would hold true for the champ eagle I've already been working with. If I season them enough to be my main drivers, then I'll be in a pretty good position.
Bardu
Noob

Postby keltik » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:14 am

yeah the current run of DX isn't very sturdy. I've had some older runs of dx that got whacked into a tree 10 feet off the pad and didn't even bend them.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:33 pm

Champ Leo lasts forever. It is kind of funny now that Leo Piironen is the Finnish Open champ :-) I have one that is what 5-6 years old and it looks great and flies just like new. Champ Eagles are mostly L winged and the one i tried last summer was a fairly soft blend and broke in fast and it flips a lot. So yeah it might be easy to throw straight at your power for the early part of the flight but it will fade earlier and harder than the Leo and by a lot if you give it any height.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Bardu » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:49 am

Update:

Drivers
170 Champ Firebird- utility
165 Champ Eagle X
167 DX Eagle X- fresh
165 DX Eagle X- seasoned

Midrange
173 KC Pro Roc- new
173 KC Pro Roc- beat
173 DX Roc- new
172 DX Roc- seasoned
171 DX Roc- beat

Putters
170 Medium Wizard- drives
170 Medium Wizard- drives
172 Soft Wizard
172 Soft Wizard
171 Eraser Wizard- main putter
171 Eraser Wizard- main putter
165 Medium Wizard- beat, upshots
Bardu
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:39 am

Very old school are you planning to add longer discs for open field distance? If you are Rivers, TLs, Sidewinders and Beasts should be considered and maybe Champ Valkyries, Orion LS, S TD and lighter P PD too.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Bardu » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:12 am

Thanks, haha. Any suggestions on how to run my wizard lineup? I am planning on picking up a pair of glows and ss when I can afford it, will have a nice stack for practice putting and nice selection to choose from for the bag.

I am currently using my seasoned/beat dx eagle for distance. Threw a handful of rivers the other day: gl, fs, opto. Very nice and glidey, nice and straight with a small fade. Less turn than my eagle. Seemed similar to both the Leo and tbird. Great plastic. I also threw p-pds for a while which I always envisioned as my distance driver of the future. Not sure I'm ready for em yet. Definately been thinking about a sidewinder (or roadrunner) but I'm not sure I'm ready to throw something that fast. My eagles really aren't past 300.
Bardu
Noob

Postby Bardu » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:08 pm

Also, what kind of plastic would you get a sidewinder in?
Bardu
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:16 pm

It sounds like the Star Sidewinder it is. And the next step is Gold Line River or you could go to the River right away if they are equally long for you. The River is more HSS so it takes winds way better. PDs go down to 150 and are pretty HSS even at that weight but P breaks in fairly quickly these days i'm told. S lasts longer but is more HSS and LSS.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Bardu » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:49 am

Well how much overlap would there be between a river and sidewinder, would it be one or the other? I prefer to be minimalist and keep the molds down. If I plan on adding pds (p, s) at a later time would either overlap there? Also you recommended a Leo previously for up hills and tight tunnels, would the river work there?
Bardu
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:32 am

Unfortunately all of those discs could perform fairly alike with overlap. PDs are the most overstable and most of them cannot stay on a straight line and the understablest Leo is the straightest for tunnels and uphills. Rivers fall in between those two. Sidewinders are the longest out of these discs and the most understable and the fade depends on the power that you give them. They fade as little or a hair less than GL Rivers at full power but the Sidewinder is longer. IIRC my record for the River is around 390' and the 'winder is 420'.

The Sidewinder and the Leo won't handle the winds too well and the River is ok for a little wind and the PDs are tremendously good wind beaters. The Sidewinder is pretty long step above mids and it is really a distance driver like the PD but the PD is an inbetweener and both power down well but the PD is easier to range and fades more assuredly when powered down. Leos are Rivers are more like fairways but the River with power is sneaky long so not as easy to range. So with the PD it would handle wind and fade shots and a shorter understable disc would handle the rest and range better between the mids and the PD which s-curved is almost as long as distance drivers. But not on a straight line or hyzer. Depending on your ranging ability and the winds you face the Leo or the River would be the best match.

The Sidewinder is sweet for another role which is understable distance driver not fair way driver.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Bardu » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:35 am

Time for another update. I acquired a star eagle-x from a friend and it made the bag. It was workable immediately and felt like a brand new dx, perhaps slight less glide. Will overlap with the champ and dx some, but i wanted to try eagles in all production plastics and I'm happy I did.

I also threw my beat dx eagle into a river. It was terrible cold and the water was too murky to see anything. I may try to return and fish it out at a later date, but for now I put one of my backups in and am gonna start beating it in.

A friend of mine has a collection of 10-15 rivers and I've been throwing them. I seem to like the flight so far and am considering puting a couple in the bag. JR suggested I try em so just a couple of questions. How much overlap should I expect with the eagles? Are they an improvement for tight window shots and up hills like a leopard would be? Will they also fill the role of distance/understable driver (currently using dx or possibly the star eagle here)? My friend gave me a gl and opto to try, both fairly domey. And finally I'm initial field testing they are shorter than my eagles, but hopefully in time I'll learn to really get em out there.

Finally, I'm really clicking with the s wizards: in the circle, long putts, approaches and drives. I can get the mediums out there too, but I might put them on the sidelines until the weather heats up. I still like the light beat medium for upshots and utility.

Ok so here's what my bag would look like. Are my drivers a mess?

Drivers
169 Champ Firebird- utility
165 Champ Eagle X
169 Star Eagle X
167 DX Eagle X- fresh
170 Opto River
167 GL River

Midrange
173 KC Pro Roc- new
173 KC Pro Roc- beat
173 DX Roc- new
172 DX Roc- seasoned
171 DX Roc- beat

Putters
172 Soft Wizard
172 Soft Wizard
165 Medium Wizard- beat, upshots
Bardu
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:47 am

Compared to the other discs the River is a distance disc. It competes with the straightest and slightly understable Eagles for the best window hitting ability but should lose in the wind to the Eagle.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion