DC X plastic question

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

DC X plastic question

Postby bsnone1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:46 pm

So I've been fooling around with a ton of fairway drivers recently and was wondering if there was something specific about discraft's X plastic that pushes discs understable? I recently got a cyclone and an XL with hopes of finding something stable in a plastic (X) that is comfortable in my hand. However, I've found both of these discs to fly fairly understable for me. I'm by no means a bomber (I get both of these out to 280-300 fairly consistently) but I was looking for something with more of an Eagleish flight path in a plastic that isn't dx (all my local store carries the eagle in is dx)

Is this something to be aware of with X plastic? I can hyzer flip the cyclone no problem (it feels more like a leo than an eagle to actually) but the XD is straight and the turns over just about every time.

Thoughts?
bsnone1
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Re: DC X plastic question

Postby PMantle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:04 pm

It's just that way apparently. In the Cyclone, you need ESP to get the stable flight. The XL has 4 different listed stabilities based on plastic.

FLX XL Stability: 1.5
ESP XL Stability: 1.2
Elite Z XL Stability: 1.5
Elite X XL Stability: 1.0
Pro D XL Stability: 0.0
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Mark Ellis » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:01 pm

bsnone1 wrote:So I've been fooling around with a ton of fairway drivers recently and was wondering if there was something specific about discraft's X plastic that pushes discs understable? I recently got a cyclone and an XL with hopes of finding something stable in a plastic (X) that is comfortable in my hand. However, I've found both of these discs to fly fairly understable for me. I'm by no means a bomber (I get both of these out to 280-300 fairly consistently) but I was looking for something with more of an Eagleish flight path in a plastic that isn't dx (all my local store carries the eagle in is dx)

Is this something to be aware of with X plastic? I can hyzer flip the cyclone no problem (it feels more like a leo than an eagle to actually) but the XD is straight and the turns over just about every time.

Thoughts?

Change the plastic and you change the disc. Every plastic blend molds in its own way and causes its own flight path.

My experience is that generally Z plastic (clear candy) molds a bit flatter and flies a bit more overstable than the candy blends (X or ESP) in most discs.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby JHern » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:26 pm

It is the thermal contraction of the disc from the mold when they pop it out after injection, each plastic shrinks a different amount. In fact, it is very sensitive, even color additives can have an effect. Note that the shape of your disc is never the same as the shape of the mold itself, but you could produce a disc in the shape of the mold if you let it cool inside the mold for a long time (like 30 minutes or more), but then the disc might be too over-stable to be usable.

Anyways, shrinking bends the wing down, and X plastic shrinks more than Z or ESP. Usually thermo-polyurethane (TPU) plastics have the least shrinkage and come out more over-stable than other plastics (e.g., Innova Champion, Discraft Z, Lat 64 Opto, Westside MVP, Gateway Evo, Prodigy 400, etc., etc.).

I have a large stack of ESP Cyclones that are simply awesome awesome awesome. Perfect stability, I have a few that are beat enough that they turn over a few degrees, and others that don't turn over at all. I also throw X Cyclones for a large amount of turnover, and rollers.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:19 am

Cyclones and XLs were designed for softer plastics before the introduction of Polyurethane into disc manufacturing.

Is an Avenger too fast for you? It's like a faster Eagle if you're stuck with DC. Otherwise an Eagle? Or Timberwolf from Daredevil it is glidier thus longer Eagle L.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby rKp » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:34 am

X Preds were awesome but are OOP. For what you're looking for, it might be worth tracking a couple down.
rKp
Tree Magnet

Postby bsnone1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:16 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. Lots of good stuff here!
bsnone1
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Return to Equipment