Westside Giant

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Westside Giant

Postby JR » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:06 pm

Hmm maybe the Giant gets better with way more power than i have or mine is way shorter from too much LSS. Have you noticed is your disc spin hungry? I'm not spinning discs as fast some.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby keltik » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:10 pm

Well I got a Giant and after studying it for a bit I pulled out my Villain. I would swear they are the exact same disc. and mine doesn't feel large diameter. but yes they appear to be from the same mold. I have yet to throw the Giant and Villain side by side.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:09 am

The giant is more stable than a villian for me but I'm barely touching 400' anymore.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby keltik » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:03 pm

Well I threw them side by side today at lunch and if it weren't for them being different colors you would not be able to tell them apart. BH, FH, OH they both flew the exact same line and distance. and I mean exact. It was not consistent which one landed further to the left (or right for FH) and that variance was more on me. If I was a more consistent thrower I would not have been surprised if they landed in the same spot. and 400 with either of these discs is a zj/Beto level throw. They are quite nice into a headwind.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby rusch_bag » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:30 am

I threw a giant today and it was no where near as overstable as I anticipated. It flew similar to a new destroyer and I was expecting a speed 13 firebird. Anyone else still throwing these things around?
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby kern9787 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:43 am

rusch_bag wrote:I threw a giant today and it was no where near as overstable as I anticipated. It flew similar to a new destroyer and I was expecting a speed 13 firebird. Anyone else still throwing these things around?

I've been playing with one lately, and it is definitely not anything like a destroyer for me. Plently overstable for me so far, although I haven't had a whole lot of time to just get out and toy with it. Max weight yellow VIP if it matters. And I'm generally a ~430-450 thrower (max golf D, not necessarily with the giant).
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby rusch_bag » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:09 am

I must have got a weird one then. I tried a havoc and bolt as well today and those both flipped over pretty damn fast. I think I need to try a Halo.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby JR » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:13 am

You got a weird understabler than normal one then. I've not seen understable Halos but all the Giants i've seen have been seriously more overstable than all the Halos.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby discspeed » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:20 pm

I'm late to the party, but I just picked on of these up. Anyone still using them?
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby turso » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:34 pm

I think I prefer them over the Villain. Summer will tell, but honestly I rarely get the chance to play in winds strong enough to warrant the use of either of them.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby discspeed » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:55 pm

The Villain is not fast/long enough to get me distance into the wind.
discspeed

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:07 pm

discspeed wrote:I'm late to the party, but I just picked on of these up. Anyone still using them?

Feldberg.
Frank Delicious

Postby JR » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:50 pm

I never bagged them for other than testing because i rarely need anything that overstable and it is not that much longer than the Pred so i use Z Forces for headwinds. And i don't carry them either other than on windy days. In that role the Giant is perfectly fine. The third best headwind beater that i've tried tied with Champ Xcals and Maxes. Beaten by Forces for being longer and Spirit being more overstable. There are others but i have only tried the XXX and Banshee out of them and they are short and the Pred is straighter in a stiff headwind so it is a different role. I saw a little used XXX turn with the wind in an approach shot when the guys were warming up at the Finnish Open 2010. There was a storm going on at that seaside course. You can see the wind wreaking havoc in the Youtube coverage on lcgm8 channel.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby discspeed » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:03 pm

I just got back from the course and man was the Giant good for me today. I haven't been practicing distance in the field like I used to so I'm only getting out a little over 400' with my Swords...So I was hoping to maybe get 380'. As often as not the Giant was matching or beating my Sword's D. I've been throwing the hell out of the new Shock, so I'm pretty good right now with my anny release angles and flight lines and this translated beautifully to the Giant. I was ripping it anny and it was flexing out for literally half the flight, but still going over 400'...That's pretty crazy glide on the fade. Basically it's the perfect compliment to my Swords (gee). I really like the slightly larger diameter drivers...It really seems like a win/win as they glide more seemingly without giving up any stability or predictability.

JR...I can't believe you would put discs like the Xcal and Max with the Giant...For me the Giant goes like 50' further than I throw those. Have you compared them with anny releases? My most overstable Champ Xcals were still fairly easy for me to power into the ground when putting some decent anny on my release. Maxes are like speed 10 imo, way too slow to be considered distance drivers in any condition. Forces don't do it for me either...The ESPs aren't that overstable (and season into pretty straight flyers rather quickly) and the Zs are short for their speed.
discspeed

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:31 pm

Giants were better forces for me. They reminded me of the gummy proto Z runs I had of forces that were less stable and had a bit more glide. For mold minimalism though I stuck with my stack of S/DS destroyers.
Frank Delicious

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment