MVP Tangent Midrange

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

MVP Tangent Midrange

Postby Mike C » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:32 pm

Didn't see a thread for MVP's new mid so thought I'd start one. Here's some videos from the first two days I had to throw them.

It's a very fun disc to throw. Excellent glide and control, and incredibly easy to lock on to straight flights. It's closer to true stable than I was expecting. It holds an anhyzer well, better than the Axis, but doesn't turn quite as much as I thought it would. It can handle a lot of power for how neutral it flies, and even when given some air it doesn't seem to want to stall and fade very far off the line.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Re: MVP Tangent Midrange

Postby Varsi » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:39 pm

Is Tangent actually a midrange or more like a faster putter (somewhat like Dart)?
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Postby Mike C » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:46 am

It's like a more rounded Axis with a flat wing bottom and slightly more prominent bead. Appears to move a touch slower in the air but it still has midrange distance potential and low line drive abilities. 360-375' golf lines were possible with some air under it.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:09 pm

How would you rate the HSS, LSS and forgiveness of poor releases or OAT against the Comet?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby 7ontheline » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:28 pm

Cool vids Mike. It doesn't look like it took you long to dial in the hyzer flip.

I passed on the proton axis due to some early release issues on my part. You see any difference in the Tangent that might make it easier to grip or do they feel about the same in your hand?
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby wilt » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:54 pm

Very nice way to review a disc. Seeing what it actually does is way better than hundred different descriptions. Thanks for taking the time.
wilt
Noob

Favorite Disc: opto fuse

Postby Mike C » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:31 pm

Last one. Someone else has to make the next! :lol:
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby discspeed » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:03 pm

7ontheline wrote:Cool vids Mike. It doesn't look like it took you long to dial in the hyzer flip.

I passed on the proton axis due to some early release issues on my part. You see any difference in the Tangent that might make it easier to grip or do they feel about the same in your hand?

The Tangent is the smoothest, roundest, and most low profile mid from MVP. I like how it feels better than the other two mids.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby JR » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:00 pm

Darn that low part got me interested grr... Enablers...
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:11 pm

I really like MVP mids and all the Tangent hype (on that other site) has me wanting to try one out. That said, it would have to be a pretty magical disc to take shots away from my anodes or axises.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Pwingles » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:15 pm

How would this compare to say, a cryztal meteor? From pre release descriptions I was assuming that is what it would be closest to. Is this far off?
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby discspeed » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:47 am

Pwingles wrote:How would this compare to say, a cryztal meteor? From pre release descriptions I was assuming that is what it would be closest to. Is this far off?

The Meteor is faster with a lot more lateral movement in its flight. The tangent is easier to keep straight and its turn more gradual.
discspeed

Postby what'shisname » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:24 pm

I found myself hitting the order button late last night on a pair of tangents. Not sure why, as I'm pretty happy with the Buzzz/Fuse/Zone combo but I did.

I ordered them thinking they'd be up against the fuse for a spot in the bag. I like the fuse a lot but sometimes I have trouble with the angles. Are these tangents closer to a buzzz or a fuse?
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:26 pm

First day out with these today. I've got a 178 white and a 171 red. I don't usually gush about a disc, there's lots of good ones out there, but I really dig this disc. I haven't had this much fun with a disc on its first outing since I discovered the SOLF. The thing just did exactly what I wanted it to from the very first throw. Out of the box it performed better than my best seasoned buzzz. Did well in moderate wind from all directions, was longer than I thought it would be, and just felt great in my hand. YMMV, but looks to be a keeper!
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby discspeed » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:19 am

If you had a course with holes 330' and less with lots of different lines needed the Tangent would be one of the best choices for a one disc round. It's honestly the workhorse that I wanted the Axis to be (instead the Axis is like a tweener between my mids and fairways much like a Buzzz). Right now my 172g Tangent and my 174g Vector are my most thrown mids, which is funny because I've not carried mids this light in a decade. Something about the weighted edge makes them feel heavier to me upon release compared to standard discs. Likewise if I'm throwing a MVP mid near max it feels overweight to me. I don't notice this so much with the drivers, probably because they have smaller overmolds (I'm fine throwing max weight MVP drivers).
discspeed

Next

Return to Equipment