Innova Tern

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Innova Tern

Postby JHern » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:10 pm

I picked up a first run, same great plastic they used for the Roc3. Katana-esque shallow rim depth, but the wing is not as wide. I have a feeling these are going to be a big hit, anyone throw a bunch of these yet?
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: Innova Tern

Postby Working Stiff » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:45 pm

I have one, but I have nothing of substance to add. It's too fast for me to really tell what it's supposed to do. The plastic is nice, though.

*adds something after he says he has nothing to add*

I'm planning on adding a "this is too fast for me but everybody else is doing it so what the Hell" driver to my bag. The Tern and Krait are early leaders for that slot. The Krait is more comfortable in the hand and they fly exactly the same for me (because I have no business throwing either one) so I'll probably go with the Krait. The Tern does seem to fly farther for me than some other high-speed discs I've tried like the Vulcan and the Archon, and it doesn't seem to dump as badly as a Boss as it slows down.

If you have any other questions about how discs I can't throw fly for me, I'll be here all week. :P
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby JR » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:58 pm

I've always been all for using at least one disc that is too much for you as a yardstick and motivation to push yourself farther. Not to mention some great results when the stars align and forcing flexibility and finger muscle power training. For perhaps one day mastering wider winged drivers after being trained hard with massive wings. Not necessarily as regular or go to driver mind you.

Straight then left is a perfectly viable and justifiable line and if a hot rod discs achieves that with more D and equal or better consistency as a shorter slower disc i say go for it. Maybe not each time but to push you forward. Don't give up you never know when and how you can overcome the form detail that keeps you from achieving more distance. If lucky a good disc can push you beyond your current limit if it does not demand more than you can give. It is a long shot but sometimes you can shoot the moon. Spoke like a true disc whore cough.... You decide.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby sunspot » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:48 pm

Everytime I see this disc mentioned I have to do a double take reminding myself that this new disc by Innova is not called the "Turd".
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby JHern » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:28 pm

sunspot wrote:Everytime I see this disc mentioned I have to do a double take reminding myself that this new disc by Innova is not called the "Turd".

Nor is it the "Turn" as a lot of others have misunderstood.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby PMantle » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:07 am

JHern wrote:
sunspot wrote:Everytime I see this disc mentioned I have to do a double take reminding myself that this new disc by Innova is not called the "Turd".

Nor is it the "Turn" as a lot of others have misunderstood.

eBay asks me about this on every search :lol:
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby logjammin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:50 am

Anybody know where I can find this in Star plastic? From what I've read, Star Terns are more understable than Champion Terns. But there don't seem to be any Star Terns.
logjammin
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cheetah

Postby chunk » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:30 am

according to the innova website the tern is only available in champion plastic.

http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/distan ... /tern.html
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby PMantle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:53 am

I found the following at Infinite Discs:

Innova states that the flight rating of this disc in Star and Champion plastic slightly differ. The flight rating for Champion Plastic is 12/6/-2/2.

I don't know if it's just a mistake, or if we will see Star in the future. I sure hope so, as I hate Champion for distance drivers.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Stringbean » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:00 pm

PMantle wrote:I found the following at Infinite Discs:

Innova states that the flight rating of this disc in Star and Champion plastic slightly differ. The flight rating for Champion Plastic is 12/6/-2/2.

I don't know if it's just a mistake, or if we will see Star in the future. I sure hope so, as I hate Champion for distance drivers.

Innova does that with just about every release. New discs get released in champ. People buy it. When sales start to drop, they run it in Star plastic. People buy it. People like new things. Ever notice that Taco Bell has something new to try every month? Check out the new CantinaBell menu... http://www.cantinabell.com/
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby logjammin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:43 pm

Do they ever put different numbers on different plastics? I read that Star would be 12 6 -3 1 and Champion would be 12 6 -2 2 .
logjammin
Noob

Postby Stringbean » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:26 am

Yes, the Boss is 13, 5, 0, 3 in Champ and 13, 5, -1, 3 in Star.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby money 21 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:30 pm

i have picked up a couple of these easy distance disc with very smoothe transitions. really rewards good form. it compliments my surges very well.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby logjammin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:29 pm

I got one last week. I like it a lot. It has become my distance driver. I always get a high-speed turn with it. I've only turned it all the way over once or twice. Usually get a nice S-curve, with lots of glide. Even if I get the nose up, the low-speed fade is not excessive.
logjammin
Noob

Postby LuckyEagle405 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:06 am

My wife started playing about 8 months ago and was throwing about 225. I bout her a turn and it added about 40 feet to her drives. I've played a few rounds with it and found it gets easy distance even for inexperienced players. It is a very forgiving disc.
Grip it and Rip it
LuckyEagle405
Noob

Favorite Disc: Truth

Next

Return to Equipment