Looking for a high-speed driver

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Looking for a high-speed driver

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:59 pm

I'm not up on all the high-speed stuff; it's too fast for me so I have not been throwing it. Everybody else is, though. So screw it, I'm joining the circus. I just have to pick out the disc I can't throw that I'm going to carry around.

A few facts:
1. I have ignored every thread on high speed drivers since '09, so I don't know anything about any of them.
2. I'm just looking for open-hole distance; hopefully I won't be dumb enough to throw it anywhere that I need to be accurate.
3. Every one of these discs is going to dump like a Firebird when I don't get it up to speed, so I don't need the discs to actually be stable.
4. The more glide the better.
5. I'm thinking of trying out maybe three different discs. I'm not going to waste a ton of cash on being stupid.
6. I'm not going hunting for anything by Prodigy because I'm not going to waste a ton of cash on being stupid.
7. I already have some Champ & Blizzard Kraits that I've tested; I probably need something less stable.

I'm looking at a few possibilities:

Legacy Cannon (Fast)
Discraft Nuke SS (+4; -1)
Latitude Bolt (+Opto Air)
Westside King (+1, +1 VIP, +1 VIP Air)
DGA Hurricane (-2)
Innova Katana (+1, +3 Pro, +1 domey Pro, +1 Blizzard)
Innova Dominator
Innova Tern (+1)

I really don't know a damn thing about any of them, so I might have the worst disc of the last four years on here. To help me avoid buying a bunch of the worst disc of the last four years, here is the input I would like from all of you (finally):

1. Your top three recommendations of the disc listed. Make sure you specify the plastic type.
2. Any high speed driver not on this list you would recommend instead of the top three you picked. (Pro Vulcan, Star Vulcan, Blizzard Boss x2, Blizzard Krait x2, M Astra, Pro Destroyer, Pro Wraith, Champ Archon)
3. Any additional information/experience with these discs.

Thanks.
Last edited by Working Stiff on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Re: Looking for a high-speed driver

Postby Monkeypaws » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:07 pm

If yu are unsure of what your arm is up to, I'd go grab a DX Wraith. I bought a used one for a few bucks, and it is my longest disc, and its easy to throw and control. Even a new one would be cheap, but it seems like a great disc for people who don't throw a lot of uber-warp speed plastic. Speed 12 is plenty fast.
Monkeypaws
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Shark

Postby money 21 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:34 pm

i would kick the hurricane out right away most are more stable then the rest of the discs in your list. i like the domey katans, the flat nuke ss and the flat kings for all out distance.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:57 pm

Monkeypaws wrote:If yu are unsure of what your arm is up to, I'd go grab a DX Wraith. I bought a used one for a few bucks, and it is my longest disc, and its easy to throw and control. Even a new one would be cheap, but it seems like a great disc for people who don't throw a lot of uber-warp speed plastic. Speed 12 is plenty fast.
Please do not respond with logic. I want to go fast.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby discpunk26 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:12 pm

I would recommend a pro katana, pro vulcan, or a nuke ss. These three discs are easily the flippiest discs I've ever thrown. All three are flippier than you krait, and are designed for the working stiff that may not be able to get the disc to full speed. It is a little logical, but they do still go fast too.
discpunk26
Noob

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby NoLifeLeft » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:33 pm

I also have no business throwing high speeds. When I did though, I enjoyed the VIP King and domey E* Katanas. I've only had one Nuke SS and it was crap, I know there are good ones to be had but I wasn't going to chase them. The only Hurricane I ever bought left me unimpressed as well.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby Mark Ellis » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:04 am

Working Stiff wrote:I'm not up on all the high-speed stuff; it's too fast for me so I have not been throwing it. Everybody else is, though. So screw it, I'm joining the circus. I just have to pick out the disc I can't throw that I'm going to carry around.

Welcome to the 21st century. Late is better than never.

Don't buy a bunch of stuff. Try a bunch of stuff. Once you know what shows the best promise then buy a bunch of stuff.

Unless you live in isolation there are lots of players who have lots of high speed drivers. Borrow some for a try out.

It took me a year of practicing with wide rimmed drivers before I figured them out and made them part of my tournament bag. Now a Nuke is my primary driver. Here is what worked for me. I need to throw a Nuke with precision, especially the nose angle on release. If the nose angle is off the disc is still going to fly far and fast but not accurately. So throw flat, smooth, balanced and clean-just like you should do with any other driver.

A high speed driver does not hide form issues, it accentuates errors. So just like an understable disc, it will teach you clean form which is a benefit to your overall game. Don't just carry it around. Use it. Practice it. Learn it. Then win with it.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby PMantle » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:28 am

Two in that category that are easy to throw for me are the Pro Destroyer and Ch Archon. Ignore the numbers on the Destro. They are not that over stable. Loving my newer blizz Destro too. The one Wraith I had was very stable for me , but was beating in nicely when I lost it.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby keltik » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:38 am

I'm going to say if you want glide and turn you should test the Opto-Air Bolt and VIP-air King. I really have to dial my Opto (non Air) Bolt to keep it from rolling but when it does roll we're talking 500 feet (roller distance).
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:47 am

Light goes faster and does not need as much power as a max weight disc. So discs with bubbles of air inside help. Light (13x low preferably) Millennum Zero G Quasar is controllable. 130s Blizzard Katanas are the flippiest discs i've thrown and have a really low power requirement like heavier Nuke SSs and lighter Bolts and Kings. Both are made in air technology i think King is for certain. Bubble discs wear faster than normal. A 13x Wraith probably has more HSS but as little LSS for my power as Katanas even in light weights and are almost as long for me but at your power i imagine it still fades out. A 136 Wraith i have is way faster and has noticeably lower power requirement than a normal Wraith and boy does it fly faster than even my 166 Pro Wraith. Wraith has the shortest wing so it is the easiest to grip and throw out of these in that respect. I don't want to dictate to you what to try but i'd start with 13x low Wraith and judge from there. I would not call the 13x Katanas better for anyone at my power level. I have not seen lower powered players throwing them that i know of so i cannot estimate how useful it would be. For me it is a roller being so much more flippy than the 136 Wraith. Meaning i cannot use the Katana reliable at all and the same goes for my IIRC 150 Air King. And i picked the most overstable one at the shop and those had variations. All bubble discs are even more inconsistent than the normal versions.

I just thought of StarLite Roadrunners. That has the lowest power requirement so that should be the easiest and most golfable while still fast and long disc. When it is thrown right. It is not as demanding as the Katana but not as easy as the Wraith. So maybe you should pick the Roadrunner first. It might not make it to regular production possibly. IDK.

If you need a non flipper without wind 13x Boss.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby dgdave » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:34 am

If you want fast, go cannon or rampage. They are maxed out on the tech standards for wing and nose. But, if I were you, Blizzard Boss
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby PMantle » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:52 am

dgdave wrote: But, if I were you, Blizzard Boss

I found out that this one is my limit. As in, I can't throw it at all. Have tried 3 different weights. Maybe next year.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Stringbean » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:27 am

1. a. Pro Katana b. Nuke SS (base plastic) c. Innova Tern - I've never thrown any of these, but they seem to be the least stable out of the group
2. If you are looking for the highest speed, I'd go with the Innova Vulcan in Star Plastic. Otherwise, a Speed 11 Pro Wraith is a better starting point.
3. The Vulcan will fly fairly straight for a noodle arm. Buy a low weight and you will get pretty good distance. The Pro Wraith will start overstable but will beat in quickly to a nice S curve distance driver.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby money 21 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:17 pm

you also might give the bliz krait a try. I know they are a little slower but the glide forever well. I have lots of the faster drivers but the bliz krait out distances them for me.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby gretagun » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:38 pm

I don't throw much fast stuff at all, but I'll throw out another recommendation for the Pro Katana. I know for the big arms this is probably considered a flippy POS, but it works great for my noodle arm. For me it has a nice late turn, whereas most warp speed drivers start to fade for me. It eventually fades back at the end, and makes for some nice long s curves with very little effort. I never ever thought I'd throw this disc but I just happened to receive one from a raffle last fall.
Wizard>Roc>Leopard>Teebird>Orc>Firebird
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Next

Return to Equipment