MVP Shock

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Shock

Postby discspeed » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:57 pm

MVP has refined their driver molding and they sent me two new shocks (my originals were floppy) and they are flying like good over stable PDs.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby JHern » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:48 pm

discspeed wrote:MVP has refined their driver molding and they sent me two new shocks (my originals were floppy) and they are flying like good over stable PDs.

Sounds nice, I've been meaning to try these. Do they ever have anything under 160g in their line-up?
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby discspeed » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:11 am

JHern wrote:
discspeed wrote:MVP has refined their driver molding and they sent me two new shocks (my originals were floppy) and they are flying like good over stable PDs.

Sounds nice, I've been meaning to try these. Do they ever have anything under 160g in their line-up?

I've not seen anything that light yet. I believe they want to master consistency in the weights they are working with before doing some heavy experiment with weight.
discspeed

Postby plex » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:46 pm

discspeed wrote:
JHern wrote:

I've not seen anything that light yet. I believe they want to master consistency in the weights they are working with before doing some heavy experiment with weight.

The lightest MVP fairways i have is 166g
Destroyer, Sword, Shock, Volt, Amp, River, Gator, Vector, Axis, Ion
plex
Noob

Postby Mike C » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Here's a video showing the two different runs of Shocks.

Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby cubeofsoup » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 am

Mike C, coming through per usual with great video, thanks dude!
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:03 pm

cubeofsoup wrote:Mike C, coming through per usual with great video, thanks dude!

X2 !!!
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby andrew » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:27 pm

x3. Great music, lovely course and an ace to boot. Nicely done!
Wizards/Pures/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebird/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby discspeed » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:50 pm

The Shock is replacing my PDs. It has similar speed (maybe like .25 slower) and range with a flight that only some of the nicest PDs are capable of. It's great in the wind and more dependable than pretty much any other non-meathook disc I can think of when thrown with anny. Considering also what a PITA it has been to keep a stock of my favorite PDs I'm ecstatic that MVP has created(and fixed) the Shock.
discspeed

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:50 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby discspeed » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:15 pm

ZJ was comparing them to his best overstable OLFs as well.
discspeed

Postby JR » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:58 pm

How do you recognize a good PD like shock? That is a pretty major shift considering how good the PD is.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JimW » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:11 am

discspeed wrote:The Shock is replacing my PDs.

This week :lol:
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby discspeed » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:14 pm

JimW wrote:

The Shock is just the final nail in the PD's coffin. The Volt replaced my seasoned PDs long ago and now the Shock is replacing my fresh PD. Remember also that I prefer MVP over Innova :o , so all things equal its a no-brainer. I remember saying to MVP a couple of years ago that they should put out some tweeners or "modern" fairway drivers like the PD/OLF first...evidently they were of the same mind and now with the overstable shocks they have done one hell of a job covering the stability spectrum with their speed 9 drivers.
discspeed

Postby discmonkey42 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:16 pm

discspeed wrote:
JimW wrote:

The Shock is just the final nail in the PD's coffin. The Volt replaced my seasoned PDs long ago and now the Shock is replacing my fresh PD. Remember also that I prefer MVP over Innova :o , so all things equal its a no-brainer. I remember saying to MVP a couple of years ago that they should put out some tweeners or "modern" fairway drivers like the PD/OLF first...evidently they were of the same mind and now with the overstable shocks they have done one hell of a job covering the stability spectrum with their speed 9 drivers.

In my relentless search for a fairway driver I love, I picked up all 3 MVP drivers today and played 3 rounds with them. I also have OLFs and PDs in my bag (they've been fighting with each other for months for a spot in my permanent summer bag, still not sure which I like better, but the Solf currently has the edge). While I looooved the Volt and Shock (jury is out on the Amp), they were nowhere near as long as the OLFs and PDs. Not sure how you see the MVP fairway drivers replacing the distance possible with a seasoned OLF or PD.

Am I missing something, or have I just not learned to throw the Volt and Shock yet as it was their first day in my hands?

And how do I know if I have a 1st or 2nd run Shock (sorry if I missed that info and question is redundant)?
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment