MVP Shock

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Shock

Postby discspeed » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:57 pm

MVP has refined their driver molding and they sent me two new shocks (my originals were floppy) and they are flying like good over stable PDs.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: MVP Shock

Postby JHern » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:48 pm

discspeed wrote:MVP has refined their driver molding and they sent me two new shocks (my originals were floppy) and they are flying like good over stable PDs.


Sounds nice, I've been meaning to try these. Do they ever have anything under 160g in their line-up?
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!
User avatar
 
Posts: 2620
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:50 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: MVP Shock

Postby discspeed » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:11 am

JHern wrote:
discspeed wrote:MVP has refined their driver molding and they sent me two new shocks (my originals were floppy) and they are flying like good over stable PDs.


Sounds nice, I've been meaning to try these. Do they ever have anything under 160g in their line-up?


I've not seen anything that light yet. I believe they want to master consistency in the weights they are working with before doing some heavy experiment with weight.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: MVP Shock

Postby plex » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:46 pm

discspeed wrote:
JHern wrote:
discspeed wrote:MVP has refined their driver molding and they sent me two new shocks (my originals were floppy) and they are flying like good over stable PDs.


Sounds nice, I've been meaning to try these. Do they ever have anything under 160g in their line-up?


I've not seen anything that light yet. I believe they want to master consistency in the weights they are working with before doing some heavy experiment with weight.


The lightest MVP fairways i have is 166g
Destroyer, Sword, Shock, Volt, Amp, River, Gator, Vector, Axis, Ion
plex
Noob
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:33 pm
Location: WI, USA
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: MVP Shock

Postby Mike C » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Here's a video showing the two different runs of Shocks.

Mike C
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:28 am
Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Re: MVP Shock

Postby cubeofsoup » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 am

Mike C, coming through per usual with great video, thanks dude!
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 8:48 am
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: MVP Shock

Postby JR » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:03 pm

cubeofsoup wrote:Mike C, coming through per usual with great video, thanks dude!


X2 !!!
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11427
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: MVP Shock

Postby andrew » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:27 pm

x3. Great music, lovely course and an ace to boot. Nicely done!
Wizards/Pures/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebird/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:47 pm
Favorite Disc: PPD

Re: MVP Shock

Postby discspeed » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:50 pm

The Shock is replacing my PDs. It has similar speed (maybe like .25 slower) and range with a flight that only some of the nicest PDs are capable of. It's great in the wind and more dependable than pretty much any other non-meathook disc I can think of when thrown with anny. Considering also what a PITA it has been to keep a stock of my favorite PDs I'm ecstatic that MVP has created(and fixed) the Shock.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: MVP Shock

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:50 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler
User avatar
 
Posts: 2585
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:18 pm
Location: Charm City
Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Re: MVP Shock

Postby discspeed » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:15 pm

ZJ was comparing them to his best overstable OLFs as well.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: MVP Shock

Postby JR » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:58 pm

How do you recognize a good PD like shock? That is a pretty major shift considering how good the PD is.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11427
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: MVP Shock

Postby JimW » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:11 am

discspeed wrote:The Shock is replacing my PDs.


This week :lol:
discspeed wrote:We're not owls


The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1381
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:08 pm
Location: Seminole, FL
Favorite Disc: Whatever

Re: MVP Shock

Postby discspeed » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:14 pm

JimW wrote:
discspeed wrote:The Shock is replacing my PDs.


This week :lol:


The Shock is just the final nail in the PD's coffin. The Volt replaced my seasoned PDs long ago and now the Shock is replacing my fresh PD. Remember also that I prefer MVP over Innova :o , so all things equal its a no-brainer. I remember saying to MVP a couple of years ago that they should put out some tweeners or "modern" fairway drivers like the PD/OLF first...evidently they were of the same mind and now with the overstable shocks they have done one hell of a job covering the stability spectrum with their speed 9 drivers.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: MVP Shock

Postby discmonkey42 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:16 pm

discspeed wrote:
JimW wrote:
discspeed wrote:The Shock is replacing my PDs.


This week :lol:


The Shock is just the final nail in the PD's coffin. The Volt replaced my seasoned PDs long ago and now the Shock is replacing my fresh PD. Remember also that I prefer MVP over Innova :o , so all things equal its a no-brainer. I remember saying to MVP a couple of years ago that they should put out some tweeners or "modern" fairway drivers like the PD/OLF first...evidently they were of the same mind and now with the overstable shocks they have done one hell of a job covering the stability spectrum with their speed 9 drivers.


In my relentless search for a fairway driver I love, I picked up all 3 MVP drivers today and played 3 rounds with them. I also have OLFs and PDs in my bag (they've been fighting with each other for months for a spot in my permanent summer bag, still not sure which I like better, but the Solf currently has the edge). While I looooved the Volt and Shock (jury is out on the Amp), they were nowhere near as long as the OLFs and PDs. Not sure how you see the MVP fairway drivers replacing the distance possible with a seasoned OLF or PD.

Am I missing something, or have I just not learned to throw the Volt and Shock yet as it was their first day in my hands?

And how do I know if I have a 1st or 2nd run Shock (sorry if I missed that info and question is redundant)?
42
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:44 am
Location: In my own way
Favorite Disc: OLF

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest