The Gospel of the PD

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Gospel of the PD

Postby turso » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:59 am

Hmm. That PLH looks very nice. I wonder if yours is one-off, or are they consistently more OS.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby what'shisname » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:28 am

turso wrote:Hmm. That PLH looks very nice. I wonder if yours is one-off, or are they consistently more OS.

You know, I didn't even compare that one to the other 2 I got as well. I'll do that tonight.

I've never flattened a disc before, does that shit actually work? I definitely prefer the feel of my flat CFR's to the Glows.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby andrew » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:49 am

The dome on these things is so ridiculous I'm having buyer's remorse before even throwing them.
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby tbird888 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:05 am

turso wrote:Hmm. That PLH looks very nice. I wonder if yours is one-off, or are they consistently more OS.

They're consistently beefy. I bought several, and they all have a PLH like that.

what'shisname wrote:You know, I didn't even compare that one to the other 2 I got as well. I'll do that tonight.

I've never flattened a disc before, does that shit actually work? I definitely prefer the feel of my flat CFR's to the Glows.

Someone on DGCR flattened one without clovering the flightplate, and it didn't flatten to CFR flat. It's more like a 3rd Run C-Line. It also took some of the glide (obviously) out of it but left it pretty OS.

andrew wrote:The dome on these things is so ridiculous I'm having buyer's remorse before even throwing them.

I thought the same thing when I opened the box, but I haven't noticed it too much on the course.
tbird888
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby pask2155 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:39 pm

Hey guys I got a 171 c line and a 167 s line pd and I was wondering if a 175 would be more stable?

End of the day I'm wanting something to fight wind and I'm going between a z pred 175 or c pd 175. What will work best?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby what'shisname » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:58 pm

For stable PD's you're looking for the CFR's and a handful of regular stamped C-Line ones that have the Patent # on the back. The CFR PD is my go to wind fighter, disc up to a CPD2 when I need more distance or even more OS.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby pask2155 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:00 pm

What's a cfr?

And so I am better off going with a z pred then? It's more over stable then a max weight cPD?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:01 pm

PDs have very different stabilities according to the plastic. CFR candy fundraiser and i think that means Star and Champ plastic special versions used to make tournament fund raising discs. Pricier and usually harder more clear and more overstable versions. Regular C 175 PD should be less overstable and longer than the Pred and take plenty of headwind well. CFR C PDs are much beefier and shorter closer to the Pred and taking milder storms well from all quarters and Z Preds are storm killers. Only tornados and the craziest storms will make them poor. For which Spirits are nice.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Booter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:52 pm

The glows arent as overstable as the cfrs but they are beefy enough to handle headwinds . I threw mine alot over the past couple weekends and they held up fine. I even threw some shots into a 20+mph headwind with a little anny and it still flexed out for big flex shots. The dome gives them more glide but sure as shit slows them down in a head wind. Once yhese beat in though,bomb city. These are the exact same plh and stability as my third run NON + cpds i bought a while back. Only these are domier,rather than the mild dome thats on the 3rd run.

I like them so far and will keep throwing them until i can decide if i want to keep them.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby andrew » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:56 am

Had to change my favorite disc from XL because I lost my well beat PPD in the snow last week and thought, well i should be throwing my seasoned EP XL for those shots anyway, but after a round am realizing I'm going to have to pull a seasoned *RR out of my closet for that slot until I get another PD beat in. Not going to try my glow CPD until the snow melts....
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby pask2155 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:43 am

Im trying to figure out what to pick for a fairqay driver. So for people who this applies to Are you guys getting more distance with PDs or MVP fw drivers?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby cmlasley » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:18 pm

pask2155 wrote:Im trying to figure out what to pick for a fairqay driver. So for people who this applies to Are you guys getting more distance with PDs or MVP fw drivers?

I don't consider a PD to be a fairway driver.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby pask2155 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:44 pm

So how far can you guys throw on average the pd?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby Pat » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:07 pm

pask2155 wrote:So how far can you guys throw on average the pd?

The PD is longer than a fairway driver but not up to snuff with the Ultra long distance stuff. In my bag, it fits the bill perfectly between a leopard and a destroyer but unless it is a wide open course, the PD is the longest disc in my bag.
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster

Postby cmlasley » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:00 pm

pask2155 wrote:So how far can you guys throw on average the pd?

360'. 400' on a really good pull. I am no big arm, and throw a Katana about the same, sometimes up to 420', just with less control. A mid 160s PD is going to be about as long as anything for the decent player. It will be a heck of a lot more consistent than the super duper uber hyper new-fangled superdiscs.

In my bag, I like to use a Star TL or DX Teebird for fairway duties, the PD (and SOLF/QOLF) for workhorse, and Blizzard whatevers for open D.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment