Innova trying to take over Ultimate?!?!?!?!

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Innova trying to take over Ultimate?!?!?!?!

Postby keltik » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:02 am

http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/554-its ... ulsar.html

http://mlultimate.com/

Innova has redesigned their Pulsar and it is now the official disc of MLU (Major League Ultimate). This is a major coup in disc sports. How did Discraft lose out? This hurts my brain a little bit.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: Innova trying to take over Ultimate?!?!?!?!

Postby aerodriver » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:40 am

With the competition between the AUDL and MLU this upcoming season, it's no surprise to me, although what was surprising was that I didn't know Innova made this disc. I thought the MLU might be using Daredevil discs out of Canada (the official Canadian Ultimate disc).

In any case, it's one way for Innova to reach into a new market they haven't been in for a while I would imagine. Discraft likely did not want to become official in two separate leagues, especially leagues that don't really like or respect each other. What is also likely is that Innova will push their advertising more than what Discraft is doing for the AUDL but also had a cheaper contract because of this outreach scheme.

From what I hear the original Pulsar was junk, or at the very least much more stable than the Ultrastar. I will have to pick one or two up and find out for myself.
PDGA #59212
NEFA #1910
Team Trilogy
aerodriver
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Latitude 64 Trident

Postby keltik » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:18 am

not having played ultimate in 20 years why would a more stable Ultrastar be a bad thing?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Working Stiff » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:14 am

I thought Ultimate was a team sport for college kids who couldn't make the basketball team. You mean adults play Ultimate? ??? At any rate, isn't the Ultra Star the official college Ultimate disc? Wouldn't that be the real cash cow deal?
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:55 pm

Working Stiff wrote:I thought Ultimate was a team sport for college kids who couldn't make the basketball team. You mean adults play Ultimate? ???

I once signed up for an ultimate league for adults around here and the first team meeting/practice I go to they hand me a three-ring binder with like 50 pages in it. Each page had a couple of different plays drawn up like in football. I was told I needed to memorize the binder in two weeks before our first match and that there way no "freestyling*" on the team, we only ran plays from the binder. I quit the team that day. That is my story about adult ultimate.

I just wanted to run around in a field and throw a frisbee.

*just running around without a plan
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Working Stiff » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:05 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:I once signed up for an ultimate league for adults around here and the first team meeting/practice I go to they hand me a three-ring binder with like 50 pages in it. Each page had a couple of different plays drawn up like in football. I was told I needed to memorize the binder in two weeks before our first match and that there way no "freestyling*" on the team, we only ran plays from the binder. I quit the team that day. That is my story about adult ultimate.
I'm sure running actual plays is very effective and totally against the hippy-dippy spirit of the game.

I know a guy that is some sort of Ultimate rep; he sets up big college matches all over the Midwest. It’s a pretty big deal, you just don’t hear about it because all the promotion is college to college. Unless you are already on a college Ultimate team, you would never hear about it. They ran a big event here; I never heard about it until there were a bunch of college Frisbee freaks on my soccer field.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby keltik » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:
Working Stiff wrote:I thought Ultimate was a team sport for college kids who couldn't make the basketball team. You mean adults play Ultimate? ???

I once signed up for an ultimate league for adults around here and the first team meeting/practice I go to they hand me a three-ring binder with like 50 pages in it. Each page had a couple of different plays drawn up like in football. I was told I needed to memorize the binder in two weeks before our first match and that there way no "freestyling*" on the team, we only ran plays from the binder. I quit the team that day. That is my story about adult ultimate.

I just wanted to run around in a field and throw a frisbee.

*just running around without a plan

This makes me glad I didn't sign up for the Triad Ultimate League.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby JHern » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Discraft probably dragged their feet on supporting MLU, and Innova was eager to score a deal. Discraft has reportedly done similar things with disc golf sponsorship at PDGA majors, getting timid and tight-fisted while Innova is picking up the slack. If true, I can't help but think this will backfire on them in the long run.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby aerodriver » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:41 pm

keltik wrote:not having played ultimate in 20 years why would a more stable Ultrastar be a bad thing?

It's just not the "normal" feel for many Ultimate players who are used to the Ultrastar.

Again, I'll have to grab a few and test them against the Ultrastar and see what the real difference is. From what I gather and remember from this past fall about the Ultrastar, it flips flat from a hyzer release, glides, and falls slightly left of straight on a huck. Flies straight otherwise.
PDGA #59212
NEFA #1910
Team Trilogy
aerodriver
Tree Magnet

Postby BrotherDave » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:50 pm

There are two different Ultimate leagues? Is one like a hilarious version of the other like the ABA was to the NBA?
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby jsun3thousand » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:09 am

let brodie help you broD.

Scooot_er wrote:And disc golfers aren't always the smartest bunch.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc

Favorite Disc: #63

Postby aerodriver » Mon May 27, 2013 5:57 pm

My friend gave me a MLU Boston Whitecaps-stamped disc today. Initial impressions are that it has less material on the rim of the disc and more on the shoulder, making a deeper rim feel. It's also quite a bit domier. The flight plate thumb padding is identical to the Ultrastar. Haven't had the chance to throw it, but my friend says it holds lines better than the Ultrastar.
PDGA #59212
NEFA #1910
Team Trilogy
aerodriver
Tree Magnet

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.