2013 Rules Changes

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

2013 Rules Changes

Postby andrew » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:13 pm

I just got around to reading them. One thing that surprised me is the 2 meter rule is now optional and not to be enforced unless explicitly stated before the round. Also, they made it obvious that you can't stall by refusing to place your mini.

Here's a copy and paste of changes from the PDGA website:

Only one witness is required for a violation that results in a warning. Confirmation from a second person is required for a violation that results in a penalty throw. If a throw is subject to more than one violation, the one with the most severe penalty is applied. For example, a throw from an illegal stance that goes OB is penalized for being OB. Ties are broken by chronological order of the violations. For example, a throw that goes OB and then crosses the wrong side of a mandatory is OB.

The 30-second clock (excessive time) now starts when you reach your disc, rather than after you mark it, since a disc may not be marked. You can no longer stand over your disc holding your mini for an indefinite amount of time.

Carrying an illegal disc is no longer punishable by itself. You have to throw it for there to be a penalty. The same goes for an illegal device. You are allowed to use a towel or pad on a lie. GPS devices are no longer disallowed.

"The thrown disc establishes a position where it first comes to rest." That is an important concept which provides a basis for many other rules. Once a position has been established, it remains even if the disc moves, no matter how that happens. The following rules are now related to establishing position: disc above/below ground, broken disc, and disc in water or foliage.

The disc on the playing surface is now the primary way to mark the lie. The use of a mini is presented as an alternative.

The thrower cannot call or second a stance violation. That closes the self-called falling putt loophole. You are now allowed to retrieve a disc after a stance violation (the excessive time rule still applies of course). There is no longer a three-second limit on calling a stance violation. All calls must be made promptly, as noted in "Application of the Rules".

A few exemptions have been added to the interference rules: interference to prevent injury or to prevent (with the thrower's consent) a disc from becoming lost is allowed.

The two-meter rule has been moved to "Discretionary Rules".

"Playing from Another Player's Lie" is now an "Incorrect Lie" misplay, meaning there's just one penalty throw instead of two. The player whose disc was moved handles it the same as the disc being moved for any other reason, and replaces it to its approximate position.

The entire group must assist in the search for a lost disc. Whoever starts the clock has to tell the group that it has started.

You can no longer throw back across a mandatory line after having made the mandatory. There's no longer a default drop zone. If the Director has not designated a drop zone, go to the previous lie.

A scorecard is late after 30 rather than 25 minutes.
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Re: 2013 Rules Changes

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:50 pm

2 meter rule has been optional since 2006. They just added a category called Discretionary Rules to organize the rules better. The important change is if your disc has been seen by the group to come to rest in the tree, your mark is under that spot on the ground regardless if it drops out of the tree before you get to it. If the 2m rule is in effect that means you'll get the penalty even if it drops before you get there.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby andrew » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:11 pm

Aha; thanks for the clarification. It seems they removed rule 802.02E but are now calling the old 802.02D by 802.02E instead? So now there is no 802.02D. I assume that's just a type-o.

Edit: What I'm referring to is on the PDF version at the PDGA website but not the html version.
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby Pironix » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:13 am

andrew wrote:A few exemptions have been added to the interference rules: interference to prevent injury or to prevent (with the thrower's consent) a disc from becoming lost is allowed.

I'm a little unclear on how this plays out... if there's a basket near the edge of OB (cliff, water, whatever)... can I have my buddy go stand behind the basket allowing me to run at it (hopefully) consequence free?
Pironix
Noob

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:01 am

If your buddy touches or catches your disc in an effort to save it, you automatically get a lost disc 1-throw penalty and you rethrow from the same lie. So it's not like there aren't consequences. But at least you wouldn't (hopefully) lose your disc.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JHern » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:42 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:...The important change is if your disc has been seen by the group to come to rest in the tree, your mark is under that spot on the ground regardless if it drops out of the tree before you get to it...

I really like this change. It solves a lot of problems. Say you parked your tee shot, but 30 seconds later it slides downshill and rolls away, now you get to take your initial lie instead of the rollaway. This rule is even more important if the 2-meter rule is in effect since the disc sometimes falls out in a gust of wind.

The other changes are also good. I hope the rules committee takes up the inner cylinder issue for 2014.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:58 am

Chuck, a few questions

on "The 30-second clock (excessive time) now starts when you reach your disc, rather than after you mark it, since a disc may not be marked. You can no longer stand over your disc holding your mini for an indefinite amount of time." does that mean as soon as you reach your disc or as soon as you step behind it and take a legal stance?

On "The entire group must assist in the search for a lost disc. Whoever starts the clock has to tell the group that it has started." is it a courtesy violation to not help with looking for a lost disc?

On "You can no longer throw back across a mandatory line after having made the mandatory. " I don't really understand this. Can you illustrate this for me? At first I read it as you can't 'un-make' a mando after having made it but the use of the word 'throw' is making it sound like someone would cross the mando, then throw backwards to un-mando themselves.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:17 am

1. The 30 seconds starts when you arrive at your disc when it's your turn to throw. You can mark the disc when you get to it and say go help another player find their disc or mark and step back if it's another player's turn without the clock starting.

2. Yes, especially if asked. However, the group can give you a pass if maybe the search area has lots of poison ivy let's say.

3. I'm updating the Mando Rules School article with the 2013 changes to be posted in a day or so on PDGA and there's a diagram about this. But essentially what your question refers to is a situation where the player has crossed the good mando line and on their next throw toward the pin, they whack a tree and it kicks the disc back to the other side of the good mando line (not the missed mando line). On your next throw, you have to cross the good mando line again. You can't take what might be a shorter route across the missed mando line even though you ahd successfuly crossed the good side on a previous throw.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:10 pm

So just because you make the mando once doesn't mean you don't have to make the mando again if you cross back behind the mando line?
Frank Delicious

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:06 pm

Yep.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:36 pm

That may not always be fair but for safety concerns created mandos it is a good thing to do. It is another matter if mandos should be created to protect players on other holes or outsiders. Maybe that hole should not exist or be a different kind. Just a philosophical observation. I'm sure there are mandos out there that are not anything more than gimmicks and others that exist to try to create a level of safety for everyone.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Agricolae » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:1. The 30 seconds starts when you arrive at your disc when it's your turn to throw. You can mark the disc when you get to it and say go help another player find their disc or mark and step back if it's another player's turn without the clock starting.

So, now I'm confused (not a rare occurrence) ... what does "...since a disc may not be marked mean?

"The 30-second clock (excessive time) now starts when you reach your disc, rather than after you mark it, since a disc may not be marked."

Wait a minute ... is it saying that 'since you can, but don't have to, mark the disc'? I've been reading that as 'since it's not allowable to mark a disc'. Not trying to be a nitpicker ... I think I'm usually pretty good at understanding the intent of the language, but for some reason had a hard time with this one.
Agricolae
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pro Leopard

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:37 pm

You can mark a disc if you want.
Frank Delicious

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:57 am

Prior to 2013 rules, some players would stand over their disc for several seconds while deciding whether to mark it with a mini. If they marked it with their mini, they would think the 30 seconds started then. Now, your thinking time to decide whether to use a mini is part of your 30 seconds.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:27 am

Some changes in the Mando rule. Here's the 2013 update to the Rules School on Mandos:
http://www.pdga.com/rules-school-mandatory-update-80402
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Rules Discussion