2013 Rules Changes

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 2013 Rules Changes

Postby JHern » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:43 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:Some changes in the Mando rule. Here's the 2013 update to the Rules School on Mandos:
http://www.pdga.com/rules-school-mandatory-update-80402

I like the top photo. :lol:

Mandos also sometimes need to be used when an event changes a fairway, such as a tree fall, which opens up a route that makes the hole seem stupid thereafter.

A quick question: It isn't always possible to mark the ground with a Mandatory line, and sometimes there may be regulations against doing so on public courses. However, the language seems to explicitly say the line must be marked on the ground. Why can't the mando line also be established by oral and written rules issued by the TD before the start? The way it is worded now, the only way a TD can have their wishes fulfilled is to mark the ground.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:41 pm

With the new rule, you really don't need a line on the "made' side because your shot sequence can never cross the missed mando line and always has to fly around the good side of the mando until you hole out. I've used a flag in the ground at the mando and a half dozen flags in the ground to mark the "missed mando" line before, sometimes even running string looped around the flags at ground level.

Anyone locally who figures out where I took the title photo might freak if they think we added those photoshopped arrows to that hole. :P
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby andrew » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:56 pm

I don't see where the rules say time is allowed to clean/dry off your disc before a throw. If you are going to use the same disc as the previous throw in wet or snowy conditions, it seems pretty much impossible to mark it, dry it, take a stance and throw a disc in 30 seconds. Am I overlooking something?
Wizards/Pures/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebird/Predator/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:18 am

Not too many sanctioned events in the snow for starters. Water or snow on your disc could qualify as a distraction and give you time to wipe it.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:49 pm

I'd like to see a group play a round where the 30 second rule is strictly enforced. Especially on a very bushy course. If your lie is deep in a bush or low pine tree sometimes working your way in to take a legal stance can take more than 30 seconds. Or does trying to figure out how to take a legal stance count as a distraction and your 30 seconds haven't started yet. It seems to me that if it's your turn and you walk up to your lie bag on shoulder, that setting your bag down checking your approach lines choosing a disc taking your stance and executing your shot could take all of 30 seconds under the best of circumstances. Maybe I'm not understanding when the 30 seconds actually start and what all you're expected to be able to accomplish in that time. I think that currently the rule is written as to be so restrictive that no one will call it.
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:47 pm

The clock doesn't start until you locate the disc, are behind it, it's your turn and there are no distractions.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mark Ellis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:The clock doesn't start until you locate the disc, are behind it, it's your turn and there are no distractions.

Most rounds I play in, casual or tournaments, no one takes more than 30 seconds for any shot. If an occasional situation arises where a very perplexing lie is encountered and a bit more time is taken, who really cares?

For the players who chronically take excess time, it is a habit without actual benefit to them but obnoxious to the rest of us. Taking a minute or an hour to set up for a shot does not lead to a better shot and any of the offenders, if forced to move faster, would soon learn this. And they should.

Just like a player who has never practiced enough to learn how not to footfault on upshots, anyone who plays too slowly is always open to being called for it at inopportune times.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby fore » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:03 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:The clock doesn't start until you locate the disc, are behind it, it's your turn and there are no distractions.

Nice.

So I can take the scenic route to a point on the line of play between my disc and the target, even if it's only a foot or two beyond my disc, and take as much time as I wants to size up my options, and the clock doesn't start until I returns to a position behind My disc.

Gonna print this out and carry it with me for the Tarheel Tournament this weekend.
fore
Noob

Favorite Disc: Phenix

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:31 am

Of course it's the 30 second clock we're talking about, not the delay of game courtesy violation for not getting to and behind your lie in a timely manner when it is your turn. There are two different timings involved - first, to get to your lie in a timely manner (group judgment), and second, to make the throw within 30 seconds after you get there when it's your turn.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:16 pm

I wanted to clarify that my previous post wasn't meant to come across as I'd like to see it as in "I'd like to see you try" . I meant I'd like to see your interpretation of what it means to be "behind your disc with no distractions", the "your turn" part I think I got, :D Obviously this isn't what you mean, but if your the shortest drive as soon as the last person has teed off it's your turn, you are behind your disc (obviously really far) and theoretically distraction free. So explain to me what "behind your disc" means to you, or do a video demonstrating examples of when the clock should start. To me the amount of time it takes to throw the disc once you've taken a stance is meaningless. I've almost never seen any one take over 30 seconds in that situation. What slows the game down is the 3 minutes it takes the person to look at their, lie check the possible routes, choose a disc, figure out how to get behind their disc..... This is especially prevalent in players that are very chatty and don't give the first thought to their next shot until it's their turn.
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:49 pm

Not sure why this is so confusing. First, you have enough time to get to your disc based on the judgment of the group. Once you have found it and are standing near your disc, the 30 second clock starts if it's your turn or when it's your turn. You only get to restart the 30 seconds if there is a distraction like the previous group still finishing putts or someone moving across the fairway.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby inthedrift » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:04 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:Not sure why this is so confusing.

agreed Chuck
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby ferretdance03 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:09 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:...You only get to restart the 30 seconds if there is a distraction like the previous group still finishing putts or someone moving across the fairway.

Or a car horn honking, or a dog barking, or leaves rustling, or a tree creaking, or a bug in my eye...
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Simeon » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:00 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:With the new rule, you really don't need a line on the "made' side because your shot sequence can never cross the missed mando line and always has to fly around the good side of the mando until you hole out. I've used a flag in the ground at the mando and a half dozen flags in the ground to mark the "missed mando" line before, sometimes even running string looped around the flags at ground level.

Anyone locally who figures out where I took the title photo might freak if they think we added those photoshopped arrows to that hole. :P

Hi!
I am still confused:
Image1
Image2
Last edited by Simeon on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simeon
Noob

Postby andrew » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:22 am

While I don't really know what your drawings are attempting to depict, on both of them the first throw misses the mando so you get a one stroke penalty and the next throw is from a drop-zone or, if there isn't one, a re-tee. So I guess what I'm saying is neither drawing is correct.
Wizards/Pures/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebird/Predator/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

PreviousNext

Return to Rules Discussion