PRODIGY (M-1, PA-1, and others)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

PRODIGY (M-1, PA-1, and others)

Postby 7ontheline » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:27 pm

Prodigy has new mids and putters approved today. I wonder if they're just going to run up a bunch of batches and figure out the first batch is more stable so mark them M-1 and the orange ones turnover so mark them M-4 :)

Their mids will be faster (1.4 wing) than the buzzz and roc (1.2 wing). I'm guessing their fairways will be more PD than teebird/eagle speed.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Re: PRODIGY (M-1, PA-1, and others)

Postby dgdave » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:04 pm

They sound like they will be extremely reliable
http://www.pdga.com/announcements/mid-d ... 8.facebook
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby JR » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:55 pm

Yeah and as a disc golf first they are not hyping at all. As in another disc golf first their discs fly the same in head and rear winds. I'm not knocking them before i try them in case they've found a source for unobtainium out of which their discs are made of but i'm not holding my breath.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby 7ontheline » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:33 am

JR wrote:...but i'm not holding my breath.

:lol:

JR, try the M-4. Its very Coyote feel in hand yet more understable. Of course the plastic looks and feels amazing, but best of all its very reliable.

I tested the M-1 and M-4 in a 15mph wind Saturday along side a fresh and seasoned Z Buzzz, several stable to well seasoned QMS and MSs, and a Roc3. The M-1 is similar to a drone in flight in that it has a lot of HSS with a bit more glide and a biting fade. I could see me using it for big wind days, spike hyzers, and hard flicks that I would currently disc up to a fairway driver because I'm worried I'd flip my Roc3. More field work required but the Roc3 is in the lead. The M-4 has a chance of making my understable mid slot. Its hard finding and beating in replacements for my beat MSs. I've got a couple Westside Tournament Tursas on the way as well.

The tops look to be the same mold with my yellow M-1 having a slight dome and the pink M-4 close to flat. I noticed a similar very slight dome varience between the different colors of my D4s.

yellow M-1 vs. pink M-4

Last edited by 7ontheline on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:36 am

damn that looks just like a Pain...
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby 7ontheline » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:24 am

keltik wrote:damn that looks just like a Pain...

I had a blue 176 GL Pain that worked great up to 225'. I took it out of the bag because when thrown harder on a low line it would be stable straight with very little fade and would turn into a headwind. After the Pain, I bagged a Hornet, then a x4 Kenny, a Drone, a Wasp, a couple Shockwaves, and now the Roc3.

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:23 am

That Pain sounds like the complaints about the early Pains that were reported to be fixed in later ones just like the Hornets. Both were released at the same time roughly and i got bit by a less than reliable early Hornet. I am fine with Buzzes of different stabilities and Gator. In cold and wet weather i substitute the Gators with FLX Drone for grip. So the M1 could be used especially if it flies like the Gator that i prefer over the Drone in flight path and has a tackier grip and durability. My main use outside of winds for the Gator is spike hyzers landing onto rocks and glass pieces on my home course so a non durable material won't do. Since i'm happy with what i have already it is a hard sell to get me to use the M1.

I love Coyotes and i'm not looking for anything more understable so i'm looking forward to M3 and M2 in that order more than the M4. The M4 does not speak to me because i don't need a more understable mid because i can release anny no problem. And use putters for tighter right turns.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby 7ontheline » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:50 am

I've thrown a few gators and all but beadless star gators would dump fade harder than the faster M-1. The few throws I had with the M-1 weren't much shorter than my newish Z Buzzz but that might be because I felt I could really huck the M-1 with zero fear of it flipping. Its rarely windy in Memphis that I have to go more stable than my new z buzzz so the Roc3 is fine 95% of the time when I need some stabiltiy or fade into a headwind.

I've got a few M-3s coming. I like the plastic and its humid as hell in Memphis in the summer time where grippy is good.

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:53 pm

I use the beadless Star Gator because that is all that's available here save for possibly a few double priced CFRs. Stars have been enough for me at least with minor wind adjustments to hyzer angles in the most severe conditions i've played in.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby 7ontheline » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:58 pm

After another session with my M-4, I think its more of a seasoned z buzzz flight instead of more understable than a Coyote. When thrown side by side my hyzer flip to straight Z buzzz the M-4 showed more HSS than I first noticed. The M-4's flight is similar to my seasoned z buzzz but with less lateral movement, similar steady late fade, and 5-10% longer than my worn z buzzzes.

The M-3 overlaps my Roc3 with a slightly greater fade.

I'm not happy with the UV fading on my hot pink M-4 seen earlier in this thread... now its bubble gum pink :oops: :?: :o

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:14 pm

It's good to know about the fading colors. That red disc seems fairly plus molded but so does the Roc3 McBeth i got. Those varied a lot in the store. Three were flat and i got one of them and a dozen were domed fairly close to average KC Rocs. I'll try to get throws in today because i have many new discs to try. So far only the overweight drivers have arrived here and the personnel couldn't say when more Prodigy will arrive.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby PMantle » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:03 am

Am I the only one that think 1-4 is too many given the stability of the M4? I was hoping for a Meteorish disc at that end.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby dgdave » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:29 am

I got bored last night and ordered am m1 and m3
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby 7ontheline » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:45 am

According to the chopstick, the M-4 is not a plus rim. I haven't noticed that the Roc3 has a slanted rim.

M-4 profile:

Roc3 profile:

PMantle wrote:Am I the only one that think 1-4 is too many given the stability of the M4? I was hoping for a Meteorish disc at that end.

I think the M-3 should be called the M-2 (roc like) and Prodigy could tweak another stability M-3 (glow buzzz like) and keep the M-4 (beat buzzz like) then add a M-5 for turnovers like a Meteor.

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby 7ontheline » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:46 am

Cameron Colglazier showed up late to bag tags and said that Prodigy was going to call the recently released overstable M-3 the new M-2 and would be coming out with another less stable M-3. He had a seasoned M-3 that he threw once and I noticed that a lot of its LSS had been beaten out of it while retaining much of its HSS. He also hucked a faded pink M-4 like mine close to 350' on a stable straight mostly downwind line with less than 15' fade. He called it "money".

I got to throw his D-2 and it flew very similar to the D-1. Cam says they're a bit less stable than the blue proto D1s.

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Equipment