Finding Discs in the snow

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Finding Discs in the snow

Postby luma » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:53 am

I don't know if this has been discussed here already, but does anyone of you have some idea how to find your disc in 6-10" snow?

We have a German Tour event this weekend and it has snowed pretty badly over the last few days after the snow had been melted away completely. I can find discs easily when I play where no footsteps and other stuff is in the snow, because you can find the point where your discs has entered the snow easily (it even works with golfballs...)
Now, when 68 people have played the hole before I did, and I don't hit a spot where 20 people have already been walking, is there an easy way to find your disc? I have read about some guys putting on little stripes of duct tape which goes of the disc without needing much force. When the discs goes in the snow you could easily see the tape. Is that legal in tournament play and/or does is affect the disc's flight? I'm not at the level where I can tell the difference between the disc turning 1° more or less or going 10" further/shorter, but I can certainly tell when my Vector starts flying like my Axis or the other way round because of the duct tape.

Ah, and maybe I should leave my white discs at home... 8)
luma
Noob

Favorite Disc: Axis all day long

Re: Finding Discs in the snow

Postby what'shisname » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:50 am

Bright discs, keep your eyes on your shot and try and reference where it should be with landmarks. Keep your eyes on your shot!

Use spotters on blind holes and wherever possible.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby andrew » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:30 am

They're hardest to find in trampled areas. Resist the urge to trod all over the place trying to find a disc. Instead, follow an established footpath and slowly scan the area for indentations or areas where the snow seems to have slid. Even then, I've found discs by accidentally kicking it without ever seeing any sign of where it got under the snow. Unless you can see the disc on the ground after the throw, never assume it's landed in a spot where it will be easy to find. (In other words, be diligent about making a mental note of where it landed.) Another thing I always do is immediately set down my bag where I think the disc is and use that as a reference point (because wandering around looking for discs can be weirdly disorienting). A friend and I have been playing in snow all winter and we've each lost only one disc, although we've had some crazy luck and should have lost more like 3-4 each. Well I guess he lost 2 that we found the next day sitting in the middle of the fairway, so that's one way playing in bad weather makes it easier to find discs- nobody else out there to find them.

We've been meaning to tape ribbon to our drivers but haven't gotten around to it....
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby JR » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:24 am

There is an old thread about this. The main thing is to make the disc land as flat as possible so that it will leave a trail and often staying above the surface. Naturally you need to look at the disc gauging how far the disc landed where sideways in relation to an easy to see reference spot. Like tree tops against the sky. Also noting the angle and speed at which the disc was when it was last seen gives clues about where the disc was going to.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby tampora » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:24 am

If you have to throw something that isn't going to land flat, approach where it landed from the side that it came in on. That way, you can look down the shaft it created to see the disc when you get near.

Sometimes, if I'm feeling squeamish about a shot, I'll toss my disc with the LED taped on bottom. I figure if I lose it, I can just come back after dark to find it.
tampora
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Return to General Discussion