The Gospel of the PD

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Gospel of the PD

Postby JR » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:06 am

cmlasley wrote:
pask2155 wrote:So how far can you guys throw on average the pd?

360'. 400' on a really good pull. I am no big arm, and throw a Katana about the same, sometimes up to 420', just with less control. A mid 160s PD is going to be about as long as anything for the decent player. It will be a heck of a lot more consistent than the super duper uber hyper new-fangled superdiscs.

In my bag, I like to use a Star TL or DX Teebird for fairway duties, the PD (and SOLF/QOLF) for workhorse, and Blizzard whatevers for open D.

Which lines were those on? PDs pick up tremendous distance s-curves vs line drives. S-curves the PD is not far behind anything but line drives are.

For me line drives vary in distance based on the kind of PD i use. 150 in this mold is perfectly usable disc thanks to the inherent highish HSS of the mold. P PDs break in and fly more understable and C lines are overstable so the spectrum is large. Normally i get 380' tops with line drives and on average around 365-370' and s-curves pass 400' rarely getting to 385-390' more often. More normal s-curves are in the 380-390' range. With bomber discs s-curving at best to 420'. I get better average D from Beasts that are not hard to grip and power like the long bomber discs.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby cmlasley » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:52 am

JR wrote:
Which lines were those on?

I mostly throw PDs on line drives. If I want an S-curve, I throw a SOLF or QOLF because they have less HSS and more LSS. Even throwing big D S-curves, I don't think I've ever gotten a PD, SOLF, or QOLF much past 400', but do it pretty regularly on flat ground with various big-rimmed behemoths (I can't place them where I want, though).
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby JR » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:57 pm

PDs do fade and it sounds that you either throw the PD too low in s-curves or you need to buy one that is beefier. Like a C or domey high PLH S. Or go up in weight. Mind you even a 150 S s-curves nicely when given enough height and that is the longest variation i've had and my record s-curve for PDs came with it. I guess the apex height was at around 17-20' neighborhood. It was on a soccer field so the height was pretty easy to estimate thanks to knowing how tall a soccer goal is.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby cmlasley » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:49 am

JR wrote:PDs do fade

Thanks for your input. It is not that they do not fade, they just do not fade as much as a QOLF. They also do not turn as much, hence being money for line drives. To trot out the old standard, PD is to Teebird as OLF is to Eagle. Use the right tool for the job. This is the same reason I do not use the PD as a fairway driver. Although it powers down really well, it is still a fast and sneaky long disc.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby andrew » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:48 pm

After nearly two years of beatings, I recently unretrievably threw my oldest 169g Z Pred into a cold and dirty river. Got to throw my 171g glow C-PD several times these past two days and it is verbatim that beat Z Pred. Eerily similar. Certainly more comparable to that than the brand new 163g P-PD I also bagged yesterday.
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Re:

Postby JR » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:50 am

cmlasley wrote:
JR wrote:PDs do fade

Thanks for your input. It is not that they do not fade, they just do not fade as much as a QOLF. They also do not turn as much, hence being money for line drives. To trot out the old standard, PD is to Teebird as OLF is to Eagle. Use the right tool for the job. This is the same reason I do not use the PD as a fairway driver. Although it powers down really well, it is still a fast and sneaky long disc.

PDs are not a single flight path discs. They vary a lot based on the plastic and shape. CFR C PDs are very overstable compared to the Teebird with more speed P PD.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby discspeed » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:11 am

Maybe OLFs fly even more like Eagles, but PDs still fly more like Eagles than they do TBs. The average PD has a touch of high speed turn and a good fade. Once beat they can be manipulated onto very straight shots, but not from a flat/level release like a TB.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby cubeofsoup » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:27 pm

I just took a big trip to Charlotte and played a ton of golf. This was my first chance to play since spending the winter with a lot of mids and field work. I have a 169 P PD that I am putting out 350-375 on a gentle S curve. I have hit 390 on a big S curve. I find this disc very comfortable, extremely workable, and easy to throw farther than my Teebirds. My question is...should I get a C or S for a compliment to the ? IIRC Generally the C is most overstable and S is between P and C. I have a 168 Z-Crush, would that compare with either a C or S PD?
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:18 pm

what'shisname wrote:I've never flattened a disc before, does that shit actually work? I definitely prefer the feel of my flat CFR's to the Glows.
It can, but you gotta remember that flattening or doming up a disc afterwards is not the same thing as getting a flat or domey disc. Depending on the disc and plastic blend almost anything could happen to it. I've had discs that go overstable when doming them, and discs that go undertable when doming them, and the same applies for flattening them.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby tjh0188 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:55 am

i'm trying to decide if I should replace the three beasts I now carry with more p-pd's. beasts are 166 pro mild dome, 170 star big noticeable dome, 172 star mild dome. the 172 is pretty tweaked and bent up and flies pretty flippy compared even to the 166. the 170 just has a bit higher parting line than the others, about a millimeter or less.

I have a pancake flat 172 p-pd that's pretty beat. I even have a few decent gouges filled in with super glue to extend the usability of the disc since I am unlikely to find another flat one. The lineup is supplemented by a 171 s-pd and a 170 cfr c-pd for stable and overstable duties

should the p-pd in its current domey more stable version, in different weights and/or stages of wear, be able to perform the majority of the same lines as an understable mold like the beast/valk?
Pure-VP-Fuse-Mace-River-Saint Pro-Firebird-Flow-Giant
tjh0188
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: River

Postby JR » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:55 am

Pd is shorter than the Beast will that be an issue? Beasts have been pretty consistent since 2009 PDs haven't. But maybe.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby tjh0188 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:28 am

shorter by a trivial amount or a significant one? i'm not too concerned about distance, just looking for a little more simplicity in the meat and potatoes of my bag. if i can make a bunch of pd's do the same thing as a bunch of pds and a bunch of beasts, then why bother looking for two molds?
Pure-VP-Fuse-Mace-River-Saint Pro-Firebird-Flow-Giant
tjh0188
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: River

Postby turso » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:21 pm

I'd say the difference between PD and the Beast on golf lines is trivial.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby limonsock » Thu May 23, 2013 9:07 pm

Will an SFD and a PPD essentially do the same thing and therefore would it be redundant to carry both?
Current bag is sloppy yet fun; Judges, comet, wasp, FD's, river?, saint?, PD's, Flow, D1, Nuke, ...
limonsock
Noob

Favorite Disc: today its a comet

Postby limonsock » Thu May 23, 2013 9:18 pm

Secondly, I've been considering buying a cpd but I have 2 old school pearly champystar orcs that are a good deal more overstable than my SPD.
They seem to fade earlier and drop out of the air rather than glide through their fade for more distance. Should I expect the CPD to be similar, or does it have some more glide to it?
Current bag is sloppy yet fun; Judges, comet, wasp, FD's, river?, saint?, PD's, Flow, D1, Nuke, ...
limonsock
Noob

Favorite Disc: today its a comet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment