Starting over again

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Starting over again

Postby domromer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:09 pm

In the past few years I've played maybe 10 rounds. I've just started going to league again and I'm rusty as all hell. Other than just playing a lot any thoughts or advice? I'm also putting a bag together after my old bag was destroyed in a garage fire. So I'm down to nothing but rocs and wizards. I need to replace my qolf, solf, and qjls. I'm not sure if I'm going to straight up replace them, or try new stuff.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Re: Starting over again

Postby JR » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:44 pm

Make sure to warm up and stretch fully because it will help in avoiding getting injuries and open up as much movement range to all the moving parts so that the form is not hampered by the likely stiffness resulting from not playing. I'd throw smoothies more than rippers until you regain ease and confidence in throwing form. There are new discs and it is a double edged sword to try new ones. OTOH now is a good time to see what is out there because you don't have the golden oldies. And getting field practice to get acquainted with new discs would at least get reps. BUT new discs are harder to learn than the ones you know so there is a learning curve that is steeper than just scraping the rust off.

I cannot think of anything released in 2011&2012 that would trounce the OLFs. They and the PDs are still great and the ones to beat. I just bought new discs from 2013 so i don't know what's going on with the new discs yet. The QJLS faces fierce and varied competition from newer discs. Possibly from the new discs as well since there have been a lot of new releases in the last years. Even from discs that were around a couple of years back. I got new discs to see if the River is still the king of FWs for me in not so windy conditions of the older discs. Where PDs are a better step on the way to meat hooks than the SOLF and i have too little QOLF experience to evaluate it against the beefier PDs. The possible QJLS replacements are too numerous to mention so to recommend anything would mean needing to throw the new FWs (many) and knowing what you prefer and need.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby discmonkey42 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:24 pm

Max weight Solf 1.3 or a new Qolf are just as beefy as the overstable PDs imo. I've had both in my bag for some time and I think I'm done with the PD (blasphemy here, I know). I just played in my first tourny of the year yesterday and only reached for a PD once (went back after and threw the same shot with said 1.3 175g Solf with better results). Solf was my easy choice for every other shot requiring a stable driver. Only change for me is the D4 that's taking over max D duties from my 150 Solf, great disc so far.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby keltik » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:26 pm

damn Dom you have MIA for a while. sorry to hear about the fire. you are actually lucky that your older rocs and wizards survived. Newer Rocs are weird and don't really fly or feel like rocs anymore. some new Wizards have been ruled "illegal" for being too stiff. So if you love what you have treasure them and fight like hell to keep them. you'll probably never be able to replace/replicate good rocs or wizards without having to take out a second mortgage.

I think the current QJs are okay. I'm not so swooft on the OLF to say what is good.

Try the Latitude/Westside/Dynamic Discs stuff.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby domromer » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:51 pm

Man I played league today and lost another damn disc in the water. I'm literally down to 2 wizards, a 150 champ firebird and a 150 roc. I lost my 165 roc in the water. The funny part was I came first on my card. I parked a few drives with the roc and people kept asking me what I was throwing...On the walk to the tee it usually went like this..walk past the boss..walk past..the wraith..walk past the nuke...there is the lowly dx roc..parked within a putt of the basket.

It felt really nice to knock off some off some of the rustyness. My putts were still pretty weak but my upshot was looking good and once I stopped trying to crush the roc off the pad I was getting it out to 380 without too much drama. I think for now I'm just going to pick up a few more dx rocs and use those to get my mode back. I'm thinking I'll hold off on the drivers for a while at least...I'm also thinking I'm going to try to stick with cheap plastic. There is just too much water on these south carolina courses to be throwing premium plastic..yeah I'm that cheap! Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll be doing some reading and catching up on what's new with the site.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby Monocacy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Welcome back, Dom. If you want good, cheap drivers you can always pick up a few DX Teebirds or Eagles. If you like OLFs you would probably prefer Eagles.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: Re: Starting over again

Postby domromer » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:39 pm

Monocacy wrote:Welcome back, Dom. If you want good, cheap drivers you can always pick up a few DX Teebirds or Eagles. If you like OLFs you would probably prefer Eagles.

Thanks, I'm thinking dx teebirds for sure, maybe the leopard to replace the jls, the 150 champ firebird is standing in for the qolf until I lose it in the lake then I'll switch to the dx firebird as the champ version is insanely over over stable. I'm not sure what I should use in the slightly over stable spot. You mentioned eagle, maybe I'll try that one out.

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Return to General Discussion