Finding my Putter

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Finding my Putter

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:37 am

And what a mistake that was... Got back from a weekend getaway and hit the course for the first time in a while and immediately realized those Bangers were not near as stiff as I thought they were when I felt them up in the store. PIAS didn't have any Medium Gateways when I was there, I'm gonna have to find someone who does so I can see which mold I like best.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby JR » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:39 pm

Bummer was the temperature at the course higher than in the store? That is the only way i can think of how the discs could become softer so fast. I mean if you had the AC in a car turned up to a sauna the discs would still cool down in time. It sounds like you need porcelain plates for putters and Gateway medium is the best bet. Then it is a matter of picking the best feeling and flying mold.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:08 pm

JR wrote:Bummer was the temperature at the course higher than in the store? That is the only way i can think of how the discs could become softer so fast. I mean if you had the AC in a car turned up to a sauna the discs would still cool down in time. It sounds like you need porcelain plates for putters and Gateway medium is the best bet. Then it is a matter of picking the best feeling and flying mold.

Don't think it was a temp difference... It was a comparative difference. In the store I could only really tell that they were stiff compared to the other putters there and thought they felt "stiff enough". on the course I could tell they weren't up to my standards when they flopped on me when I tried to throw them...

And yeah porcelain plates seem to be my best bet. PIAS didn't really have any Mediums in when I was there the other day. Gonna have to track some down. I'm definitely torn on which mold though... Magic sounds like a great flier but not sure if I like the looks of the profile from the poster I was able to find online. Voodoo may be a nice one too but I'm not sure. Wizard is just the standard that everyone seems to go for. I've never even thrown one. Might need to give it a shot. Gonna try to find them in stock somewhere but if I can't do so somewhat soon I'll probably just order a Wiz online somewhere and see how it goes.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:20 pm

Do any local stores have any plastic version of the Gateway putters so that you know which feels the best shape wise? Warlock is straighter finishing a hair less power needing=longer putter than the Wizard only thinner thanks to the lack of bead. Voodoo is large feeling and palm filling disc which some love and some hate. The more palm push your putting form has the better the Voodoo feels. The Magic fades the least, glides the most and blows by the farthest needing the least power so it is best for long distances but the worst in the wind. The others are fine in moderate winds at least.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:12 am

JR wrote:Do any local stores have any plastic version of the Gateway putters so that you know which feels the best shape wise? Warlock is straighter finishing a hair less power needing=longer putter than the Wizard only thinner thanks to the lack of bead. Voodoo is large feeling and palm filling disc which some love and some hate. The more palm push your putting form has the better the Voodoo feels. The Magic fades the least, glides the most and blows by the farthest needing the least power so it is best for long distances but the worst in the wind. The others are fine in moderate winds at least.

I've seen all of them at PIAS I think, but only the Wizard and Voodoo were in stock last week. What you say about the Voodoo is something I've always liked in a mold. The Hydra has always been on of my fav feel wise with the mold, but I've never like quite how overstable and glideless they were and saw really no real break in on the ones I've had. One of the reason I like the Spider so much as a midrange. I may need to get my hands on a Voodoo and see what I think.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:17 am

Fingers crossed then but seeing where you are they made a batch of really hard KC Aviars a few years back.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:21 am

They apparently made a batch of stupid stiff DX Aviars a few years back as well, that seems to be what has messed me up. Problem is I don't know how to get replacements/backups... Hopefully one of the Gateway molds will stick cause I know I've always been shocked at how stiff the mediums were anytime I saw one and picked it up.

Also to note, I'm not quite so picky on the stiffness for driving and approach shots, its the putts that it bothers me on. If I can find some nice stiff ones to putt with I can make do elsewhere.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BrotherDave » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Ever considered Vibram? I started using a Summit b/c their consistency is really good and durable as heck. I've been using the same one for 2+ years now. Their firms might suit you if they make a mold you like.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:15 pm

I haven't looked into them much really because I doubted they'd have anything consistently firm enough for me. I know literally nothing about Vibram discs. If they do make some pretty firm ones I may have to fondle a few and see what I think.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:02 pm

Vibram firm is aptly named. And they are not tacky like you could expect from rubber.
Last edited by JR on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Stringbean » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:30 pm

I purchased a used firm Summit a couple months ago. Had been using a Champ Aviar prior to that. The Summit is awesome and will be my go-to putter this year. It has a shallow rim and is much flatter than my Aviars. The bead is rounded and blends well with the rest of the rim, making it very comfortable in my hands. The durability is another selling point, as BrotherDave mentioned above.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:16 pm

Neutron Anode and Ion don't have a lot of give at all in the flight plate and the shape is good for the palm push. Ion has a bead. I got it by the slickness of the Neutron core plastic in the rain so i have not even checked if they come in the even harder feeling (in Axis) Proton plastic. Those are the hardest new releases in years in putters. Proton Axis is darn hard.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:56 am

JR wrote:Neutron Anode and Ion don't have a lot of give at all in the flight plate and the shape is good for the palm push. Ion has a bead. I got it by the slickness of the Neutron core plastic in the rain so i have not even checked if they come in the even harder feeling (in Axis) Proton plastic. Those are the hardest new releases in years in putters. Proton Axis is darn hard.

As much as I like the look and feel of some of the MVP stuff, I'm hoping I can find something in as close to baseline plastic as possible for financial reasons. I do think a White Neutron or Black Eclipse disc look awesome. If I can't seem to get what I need elsewhere I may give MVP a shot again.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby PMantle » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:08 am

I have release issues with my Ion. So wanted to love that disc. May be in my head, but low and left is WAY more common with it than anything else I throw as a short approach disc. It's been benched for now. Judge and Dart in play now.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:15 am

The Ion was a very nice driving putter. I had some breakthroughs one day in a field and lost an Ion because it went way farther than I thought it could. Something about the gyro overmolds made me actually able to feel the weight of the disc shift in my hand for the first (and only) time ever. Had a few throws with it that day where everything just felt right. But I wound up not getting to play for a while after that and then wound up getting rid of all my MVP stuff. So I'm honestly not sure if it was just a lucky day where some technique was clicking or if the Ion was actually assisting the technique in clicking. I've been tempted to try to get another one in my new search here but the price tag is making me look elsewhere first.

Edit: What I'm seeing out of the Tangent is REALLY making it hard for me to avoid MVP stuff right now lol.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment