Westside Stag

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Westside Stag

Postby JR » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:35 am

I have less than a dozen throws on my Silver TP 173 and orange VIP 175. The shop keeper said that Lat has recently made very similar discs to each other but this was not the case in this mold based on the sample at that shop. TPs had similar higher dome than the VIPs but the PLH varies and each is lower than with the VIPs. VIPs had small dome variations and mine is the flattest i could find with the highest PLH.

Despite very different shapes these flip very close the same. The conditions are normally horrible with too much snow for footing and winds to mask the details. I was not able to throw them from a good lie with speed, only stand stills. Each ran throw was a slow speed one with pulled power. A good thing in those winds. Varying a lot from each direction lulls to hard winds. These are not good into a headwind.

It is probably a apex height and glide artifact that i needed the same initial hyzer angle for 250' and 300' throws. At that distance the fade is earlier and harder than Champ and Star Leopards. The flip is more than with a River. So i don't yet see these replacing anything in my bag but they might work for others (me too if i didn't like those two better). The disc is perfectly fine but so is much of the competition and so far i have not found anything that would trounce the competition. The glide is seriously great especially FH just above the ground sailing on the air cushion.

The VIP is tackier than earlier blends for a little better grip than previous drivers in VIP but not tacky by any means. The TP is a little tacky but there are grippier discs out there.

I will do higher powered tests when the opportunity arises. I cannot estimate distances and relative lengths.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:42 am

The glide on my TP one shone today when i got traction. It still wants a hyzer flip but it is manageable and on high lines it fights landing a long time getting to 370' on a fairly high trajectory and 380' with an s-curve. I throw way less FH because i've only dabbled with it being prevented by pain from injuries previously. Pumping iron and a too long period of rarely throwing allowed the arm to get better to train and throw harder. I suck big time at any sort of power when i run but the stand stills improved. I had warp speeders and less gliding C FD, Rival and FLX Surge SS and the Stag was the most consistently long disc on line drives and s-curving nicely thanks to the suitably low power requirement and fade with high glide for my wimpy FH. The best i got was around 280-285' but the accuracy and consistency was better than with 310' warp speeder s-curves which won't stay long on a line becoming shorter skippers after a hefty fade. Not bad as a control disc. A little more flip than with Rivers. I was over clothed and did not have a River with me to compare but they are close too close probably to carry both. Both would suite fine to many bags. It is a matter of what function you need, the other discs in the bag, the courses you play and your preferences which suits you better. Both are perfectly ok discs so i'd recommend this to people not needing to throw as far as with the River liking more hyzer flip than the River.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:49 am

Compare it to a Saint now.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby SpinachD » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:35 pm

I tried most of Westside discs recently (all except the Tursas) and I liked the Stag (174 TP). I threw it mainly backhand, but also FH and thumbers. It was very comfortable and accurate. Stable (but workable) with a dependable fade. If other Stags perform like this one it will make my bag.

I was also impressed with the Warship, King, Sword and Giant (I wish I liked the Swan. I love the stamp and the feel)
"Canst thou give me now some wisdom;
Is this nonsense all thou knowest?"
SpinachD
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:25 am

I've only thrown a dark blue GL Saint 167 and that is the color in GL Flow that made it flatter and lower PLH plus way more US than other Flows. IDK if it is the case for Saints too but some said that the dark blue ones they had were more understable than other Saints and IIRC others said that there are variations in other colors too. I have no idea what the average Saint is like and how often they vary toward more OS and US from the average so i can only compare the TP and VIP Stags i have to a single flippy Saint.

My Saint flips harder than the Stags i have but only when i had traction and could throw at full tilt snapping harder. Interestingly i got less flip throwing harder with the Stags between a session in the snow and good footing i had on Thursday. It has happened before and is probably due to my form. I have not thrown them side by side so i don't have an accurate distance comparison. Since the Saint seems to fade harder after a harder flip it gets cut shorter and the Stag might be a hair faster. If it is the difference is likely very small from memory.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Equipment