MVP Tangent Midrange

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Tangent Midrange

Postby Monocacy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:12 am

After throwing Roc - Comet for several years, I'm feeling the need for a straight-stable mid with little fade. Yeah, I know the Comet can do that shot, but I hope to find something a little less touchy. Beat Roc could do straight-stable, too, but I never seem to have any beat Rocs.

Changing one mid can affect the whole lineup, so I'm heading out to Seneca Creek with a bag full of midranges. Contenders:

Roc DX 165-6
Buzzz ESP 165-6
Tangent Neutron 167-8
Comet Z 164-6
Fuse GL 167-8

The Roc is probably safe, because it can do things that none of the other discs can do. I prefer Buzzz over Roc for FH because the Buzzz gives me a cleaner release. I will be very interested to see whether the Tangent competes with the Buzzz for the straight-stable slot, whether it competes with Comet/Fuse for straight to under stable, or whether it is versatile enough to take over both roles.

Noodle-arm midrange report to follow.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:01 pm

discspeed wrote:If you had a course with holes 330' and less with lots of different lines needed the Tangent would be one of the best choices for a one disc round. It's honestly the workhorse that I wanted the Axis to be (instead the Axis is like a tweener between my mids and fairways much like a Buzzz). Right now my 172g Tangent and my 174g Vector are my most thrown mids, which is funny because I've not carried mids this light in a decade. Something about the weighted edge makes them feel heavier to me upon release compared to standard discs. Likewise if I'm throwing a MVP mid near max it feels overweight to me. I don't notice this so much with the drivers, probably because they have smaller overmolds (I'm fine throwing max weight MVP drivers).

Gyroscopics making some discs feel heavier?

Monocacy if those don't work there are other options. Let us know if you are still not satisfied after that shoot out.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Monocacy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:20 pm

Played some midrange-only rounds on a cool, breezy day to compare my new Tangent with the ESP Buzzz, and GL Fuse (all around 166-8). Keeping in mind that I throw about half as far as Mike C, :roll: here is my preliminary evaluation of the Tangent.

Pro:

Tangent holds a line really well. Throw it flat, anhyzer, or hyzer and it holds the line for the majority of the flight, with a slight fade or panning at the end of the flight. Very predictable and very intuitive, even my first time with it on the course. Tangent yielded quite a few birdie putts on short, technical holes.

Tangent rolls remarkably well, probably because of the blunt edge and “gyro”. I am just learning rollers, but a Tangent roller went about 280’ dead straight on flat ground, finishing about 25’ short of the pin (Seneca #9A red tee, if you know the course).

Tangent held up pretty well in a 5-10 mph headwind. A flat throw would drift right a bit, but a little hyzer kept the Tangent straight into the wind.

As Discspeed mentioned, Tangent is a pretty good putter so it would be an excellent choice for a one-disc round.

Con:

The Tangent seems to need height, spin, and a fair amount of oomph to go far. It consistently landed short of the Buzzz and Fuse, and I had to throw the Tangent pretty hard to out-distance my Yeti Aviar. It would be interesting to throw the Tangent side by side with my Zero Pures – I expect they would fly pretty similarly.

Overall:

I like the Tangent. I can see it being very useful for technical holes and upshots that are outside putter range. Tangent does dead straight very well, and it is much more predictable on an anny compared with trying to put just the right amount of turn on a Fuse.

I wish the Tangent had a bit more glide, but perhaps I will learn to throw it better with more experience. Next time out I will probably carry a Roc, Tangent, and Fuse for midranges, and see how that combination works.

JR wrote:Monocacy if those don't work there are other options. Let us know if you are still not satisfied after that shoot out.

Thanks, JR. I have also tested Makos and your beloved Coyotes, but they weren't quite what I was looking for.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:04 am

There are other candidates as well and at your power Westside Warship could work. And the newest Axis. Maybe even a stiff QMS.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Varsi » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:39 am

JR wrote:
discspeed wrote:If you had a course with holes 330' and less with lots of different lines needed the Tangent would be one of the best choices for a one disc round. It's honestly the workhorse that I wanted the Axis to be (instead the Axis is like a tweener between my mids and fairways much like a Buzzz). Right now my 172g Tangent and my 174g Vector are my most thrown mids, which is funny because I've not carried mids this light in a decade. Something about the weighted edge makes them feel heavier to me upon release compared to standard discs. Likewise if I'm throwing a MVP mid near max it feels overweight to me. I don't notice this so much with the drivers, probably because they have smaller overmolds (I'm fine throwing max weight MVP drivers).

Monocacy if those don't work there are other options. Let us know if you are still not satisfied after that shoot out.

More weight on the outer rim should make it harder to put spin in the disc which might make it feel heavier. I think... I'm no physicist tho.
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Postby discspeed » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:36 am

Varsi wrote:
JR wrote:

More weight on the outer rim should make it harder to put spin in the disc which might make it feel heavier. I think... I'm no physicist tho.

That's my layman thinking...They take a little more effort to get spinning which gives me a similar sensation as throwing a heavier non-MVP disc.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby SpinachD » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:25 pm

I don't know if I'd call the Tangent a mid-range but it might be my new putter.
"Canst thou give me now some wisdom;
Is this nonsense all thou knowest?"
SpinachD
Noob

Postby Stringbean » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:37 pm

SpinachD wrote:I don't know if I'd call the Tangent a mid-range but it might be my new putter.

The Tangent kind of sounds like a Summit with an overmold. Could be a pretty nice putter-mid combo.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby SpinachD » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:04 pm

Stringbean wrote:
SpinachD wrote:I don't know if I'd call the Tangent a mid-range but it might be my new putter.

The Tangent kind of sounds like a Summit with an overmold. Could be a pretty nice putter-mid combo.

I don't think it flies and further than a putter. Within it's range, however, it is holding every line I put on it and it I'm putting lights out with it. I really like it.

Another thing I really like is those videos from Mike C. Do you have any featuring the Vector or the Axis? I looked on youtube channel but could pick any out.
"Canst thou give me now some wisdom;
Is this nonsense all thou knowest?"
SpinachD
Noob

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:50 pm

I had to get some more throws in before commenting, but I don't see the lack of glide people are talking about. Mine have great carry and they definitely go further than a putter. Not only that, they go further with less effort and much less height. I will say that weight does impact the D, but even my heavy one is getting out there just fine. It's not the longest of the 3 MVP mids, but I'm definitely getting more out of it than the 2 putters they make (not a knock on the putters, either, I love driving with them) or my wizards and warlocks. Overall, I'm liking the Tangent more each round I play.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Monocacy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:31 am

Oops - double posted
Last edited by Monocacy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Monocacy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:31 am

Updated little-arm Tangent report:

I have been using the Tangent as a putter-midrange ‘tweener for approaches and short drives. With its shallow rim and stability, the Tangent handles FH approaches beautifully. When I am in the rough, the Tangent even tolerates a stretch-out FH anny despite my less-than-stellar form.

Tangent is also brilliant at long, downhill drives. Its high HSS keeps it on line with no worries about being turned over by an unexpected gust of wind, and its minimal fade keeps it from finishing too far off line. Basically hit your line and it goes where you throw it.

I still haven’t figured out how to throw the Tangent much farther than my putters, so I’m keeping an ESP Buzzz in the bag for longer straight midrange shots, especially those with a low ceiling. I expect that throwing high with nose down (not one of my strengths) is the key to better distance with this disc.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Monocacy wrote:I still haven’t figured out how to throw the Tangent much farther than my putters, so I’m keeping an ESP Buzzz in the bag for longer straight midrange shots, especially those with a low ceiling. I expect that throwing high with nose down (not one of my strengths) is the key to better distance with this disc.

Two tips for distance with this disc...

1. Lighter versions have a lot more distance.
2. I'm not great at imparting a ton of spin, but the more spin, the more distance.
2a. I find I can really lean on this disc and it won't flip. It can handle all the power I have just fine.

I played a really tight wooded course today and threw my Tangents on about half the holes. Didn't find myself wanting more distance at all. The more I play with this disc, the more I reach for it, the more I love it.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Monocacy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:07 pm

Discmonkey – thanks for the tips.
discmonkey42 wrote:Two tips for distance with this disc...

1. Lighter versions have a lot more distance.

Mine are 167, as light as I could find.

discmonkey42 wrote:2. I'm not great at imparting a ton of spin, but the more spin, the more distance.

Yup, I'm working on that.

discmonkey42 wrote:2a. I find I can really lean on this disc and it won't flip. It can handle all the power I have just fine.

Completely agree. At dubs this week, the Tangent barely deviated from straight on a 350’ downhill drive, finishing maybe 20’ left of the basket.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby dgdave » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:23 am

I just won one of these and damn this mold feels good. It's shaped and feels like a putter in my hand. That's a big plus for me because I live throwing putters.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment