Pursuing the dream

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Pursuing the dream

Postby LuckyEagle405 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:36 am

I'm sure a lot of players dream of being a sponsored touring pro one day. But we all have to start at the bottom. Building your game is obviously key. But what about getting involved in the community. What are some ways to really be a part of the disc golf community without having to be an excellent player. I am still a noobie. But I would love to become more involved than just paying to be a part of the pdga. Any thoughts on this?
Grip it and Rip it
LuckyEagle405
Noob

Favorite Disc: Truth

Re: Pursuing the dream

Postby dgdave » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:54 am

Get together with Cam and Schwake and the rest of the OKCDGA. Start there. Play minis, play tourneys all over the state (Little River in Moore is having a PDGA event this weekend) then try hitting some up in Dallas, KS, Mo, etc. Clean up the courses you play at, go out to work days, hit up the club meetings, get new people involved and excited. Sponsor holes or ctps.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby discmonkey42 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:02 pm

Lots of tournaments and leagues for the connections and experience. But more importantly, lots of work days at your local courses.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Mark Ellis » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:42 pm

LuckyEagle405 wrote:I'm sure a lot of players dream of being a sponsored touring pro one day. But we all have to start at the bottom. Building your game is obviously key. But what about getting involved in the community. What are some ways to really be a part of the disc golf community without having to be an excellent player. I am still a noobie. But I would love to become more involved than just paying to be a part of the pdga. Any thoughts on this?

It is a good dream because I can tell you, on the QT, for those of you who can hold this information close to the vest, that being sponsored is a really good deal. Don't let this leak out. But when you get sponsored you can walk in the factory and pick whatever you want. Just wearing the logo and representing is pretty darn cool.

Every company extending sponsorship will have their own criteria for who to add to the team. But it comes down to total value. Playing, promoting, volunteering, representing are all good but winning, winning and more winning is what matters most. Because everyone understands winning and what that brings to the table. When Prodigy spent top dollar and poached a team (everyone they added was already on the Discraft or Innova teams) they bought the top young talent. They didn't pick TD's or Club presidents or guys who put in new courses. They bought the players they thought were most likely to win major tournaments.

The fast route to get sponsored is to win the next 3 NT's in a row. However if you look at the rosters of the various teams you will find old guys/gals and promoters and the occasional friend of ownership as well as the hot young studs.

If you can't throw over the moon and make 100 foot putts look like gimmees it doesn't mean you have no hope of major sponsorship but it does mean you need to find some niche which creates value for a manufacturer.

One day I was playing in a local league and my game was off. Some kid I didn't know, playing in my group turns to me and says, "Damn, how did you get sponsored?" Sometimes I wonder myself. :lol:
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Return to General Discussion