Innova Tern

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Innova Tern

Postby JR » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:22 pm

Low fade and good distance with low power requirement discs makes discs forgiving for new players especially if the disc is not fussy about nose angles. The lack of HSS is not as bad for 200' throws as it is for 300' or more so no wonder a disc that has two or three of those characteristics is easy to throw. Anyone can use a disc like that as long as the HSS is added with added power. I have not thrown the Tern but description wise Beasts should be easier to power to stay straight in light weights and are more HSS in the ones made in the last few years (not the quickly breaking in DX though) so they would be at least easier to grip and aim consistently. If not equally long considering the lower speed. The Beast has the benefit of being long for the distance and the least fussy disc of that distance about the nose angle and not being terribly power hungry like most fast discs. So a triple win with a but. Being more HSS it won't turn with a clean form at 225' so to delay the fade at such a low power vs what makes the Beast really shine needs an anny release. It is not hard just throw a flat throw with the disc tilted in the hand.

River is a less power hungry slower shorter Beast and a Sidewinder is a less HSS Beast with a hair less LSS so suitable for 225' throwers.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:19 am

A friend of mine has a Champion Tern that is brand new with no tree hits yet. It's basically a Destroyer. I will wait for the Star which will have slightly different numbers.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby JR » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:48 am

Save for one exception that i know about the HSS of the Destro that Tern sounds more OS than normal. Only broken in Pros flip in Destros and low PLH Blizzards i don't count because Blizz is a crap shoot anyway.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby PMantle » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:42 am

Yeah, my comparison would be my blizz and pros. Although, that tern is a lot like my Scorpius, which is Q.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:39 pm

Wow isn't the Scorpius supposed to be a beefy disc? I didn't try one because the numbers and descriptions i heard of it didn't seem to make it superior to Bliz Bosses, lighter nukes etc. That sounds like you got a Tern that is not what Dunipace intended. If it is supposed to be Katana type disc which is notorious for having huge stability differences between plastics. Flat ones being beefy until a headwind hits it and Pro flipping a lot in rear wind. Sometimes i wonder if the discs should stop being named and being test thrown and having the description printed on it. Roller, flippy, understable, straight, overstable or something like that. It is discomforting to see so much variation within one mold and to me it seems that things are getting worse rather than better in the last few years for many molds mostly newer ones. GRR :roll:
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby PMantle » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:10 pm

Not sure. I just know my Scorpius is fine for me as my overstable but not super overstable driver. And although I said I was going to wait, there was a tournament at our course this weekend. I could not go because of Easter obligations. A friend texted me saying someone was selling discs and had "Everything". I went ahead and got him to buy me a 168. I'll get to throw it this week. Oh, and a Cryztal Zone. Yay.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby PMantle » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:11 pm

Just got my 165 Tern. First thing I noticed was, the rim feels like it's not as deep. Almost as if there wasn't enough of a ledge for my fingers.

Threw it four times with a Pro Destroyer and an Astra for comparison. It's definitely more overstable than this pro Destroyer. With no stamp, I would have thought it was a Scorpius. I should have thrown it against that. I will this afternoon if I get to go to the course.

My longest throws with it were flexes with wind from L to R. Used a lot of real estate to do it though. When I tried to flip it, best I got was flat then finished well left of the other two discs.

It's new, and I generally hate new Ch. discs. I do not hate this one. I'll give it more throws than usual for a while to see how it seasons. This new plastic is way better for me with drivers than older Ch.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby PMantle » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:43 pm

Just used it out on the course. It goes directly in the bag. Not sure what's coming out. Probably my Scorpius for now. The Tern is longer and at least as stable(over). Had gentle winds though. Will be interesting when we get a bit more wind.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:45 pm

Stringbean wrote:Yes, the Boss is 13, 5, 0, 3 in Champ and 13, 5, -1, 3 in Star.
Which is funny because I've never thrown a Champ Boss that was anywhere near as overstable as the Star Bosses I've thrown...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Stringbean » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:19 pm

I picked up a 175 gram Tern at PIAS. It isn't overstable like Pmantle's version. It is neutral, and flies as rated by Innova. Very similar to my SOLS except longer/faster. Felt heavy, wouldn't be surprised to see 176+ on a scale. Anyone seeing bubbles in the rim? There were a couple in mine.
Summit - Judge - QMS - Leopard - Eagle - SOLS - QOLF - Beast - Wraith
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby PMantle » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:24 am

There are now 3 in our group. We all love them. None of them turn over yet. Mine has hit a road hard twice now. Maybe my Tern's turn is coming.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby itlnstln » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:05 am

jubuttib wrote:
Stringbean wrote:Yes, the Boss is 13, 5, 0, 3 in Champ and 13, 5, -1, 3 in Star.
Which is funny because I've never thrown a Champ Boss that was anywhere near as overstable as the Star Bosses I've thrown...

Bwhahaha. I was just going to post the same thing. I picked up a 172 Champ Boss recently, and that fucker is just as understable as a Dominator. Not happy.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby logjammin » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:32 am

logjammin wrote:Even if I get the nose up, the low-speed fade is not excessive.

For some reason, the Tern seems to take an upward trajectory. More so than other discs. I don't know if I'm releasing it nose-up or not, but it sails upward, and slows down. It takes a long time before it goes into the fade, but it's going very slow by that time, so the distance is not as good as I had hoped.
logjammin
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cheetah

Postby PMantle » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:56 am

logjammin wrote:
logjammin wrote:Even if I get the nose up, the low-speed fade is not excessive.

For some reason, the Tern seems to take an upward trajectory. More so than other discs. I don't know if I'm releasing it nose-up or not, but it sails upward, and slows down. It takes a long time before it goes into the fade, but it's going very slow by that time, so the distance is not as good as I had hoped.

I've had this issue more with the Tern than with Destroyers and my Scorpius. Must fit in the hand slightly differently.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:51 pm

High glide and light discs tend to lift a lot early in the flight even with a nose and rear equally high. Light plus high glide=easier throwing over the trees. Another thing is gaining power. At some point in the career of a thrower the power reaches a point where high glide discs fly enough above the cruising speed to lift high. Everyone has their first disc that starts to do that. I would not wonder if other high glide and/or low weight discs would do the same for you.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment